The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Can you get mercury poisoning from too much sushi?  (Read 3418 times)

Offline thedoc

  • Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Sr. Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 511
  • Thanked: 12 times
    • View Profile
Can you get mercury poisoning from too much sushi?
Asked by Pooky Amsterdam, Second Life

               
               Read the naked scientists answer here
               
            
« Last Edit: 09/02/2010 17:17:43 by _system »


 

Offline thedoc

  • Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Sr. Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 511
  • Thanked: 12 times
    • View Profile
Can you get mercury poisoning from too much sushi?
« Reply #1 on: 09/02/2010 17:17:43 »
We posed this to Karen Kidd from the University of New Brunswick:
Mercury has been very well studied and we know a lot about its effects on human health.  Thereís some great advice available on the web in terms of the types of fish that are safer to eat.  For example, we know that fresh tuna has a lot more mercury in it than canned tuna, swordfish is another one thatís high in mercury.  We know that bigger, older fish are higher in mercury, so what I would recommend that everyone do, is take a look at that advice on the web and choose fish that we know are lower in mercury.

http://www.food.gov.uk/multimedia/faq/mercuryfish/ _blank>The Food Standards Agency have some advice online here.
« Last Edit: 09/02/2010 17:17:43 by _system »
 

Offline thedoc

  • Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Sr. Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 511
  • Thanked: 12 times
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: 01/01/1970 01:00:00 by _system »
 

The Naked Scientists Forum

Can you get mercury poisoning from too much sushi?
« Reply #2 on: 09/02/2010 18:19:34 »

 

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums