The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Dishwasher tablets - absorb water?  (Read 4921 times)

Offline tj666

• First timers
    • View Profile
Dishwasher tablets - absorb water?
« on: 13/02/2010 08:56:02 »
I noticed that if you take a dishwasher detergent tablet out of its plastic packet, then don't use it for a few days it crumbles away.
I wondered if this is because it absorbs water from the atmosphere, or something else (oxygen ?).

Also, If it absorbs water, can they be used to dry out damp places (and then used a dishwasher), or is the absorption negligible ?. 
Are there alternative (cheap) household chemicals that could do the job of drying out places - or are dry newspapers still the best answer ?
Thanks

Offline JnA

• Neilep Level Member
  • Stunt Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 13/02/2010 10:31:15 »
I always was under the impression that bicarb soda 'absorbs' moisture etc// I've never heard of using newspaper..

Offline geo driver

• if you have a smile, share it
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 16/02/2010 03:42:36 »
i remember wordsworths mum using newspaper to insulate her sons room, and in the second world war, children in london had a layer of newspaper and goose grease across there chests too keep the cold out.  when they went to the country this had too be cut off and some "nice" people used to give them proper cloths, however when they went back to london there parents sold there clothes and gave them a fresh "coat" of goose greese and newspaper.  it horrified the country folk
« Last Edit: 16/02/2010 03:44:54 by geo driver »

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 16/02/2010 22:12:25 »
My guess is that the water absorption is pretty small.
There are things you can use to scavenge water from the air but it's often better to improve the ventilation. Silica gel is pretty good and it's easy to dry it out again.
Dry newspaper will pick up bulk liquid water but it's not much use drying air.

Offline tj666

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 18/02/2010 10:04:24 »
going slightly off topic: The goose grease and newspaper trick wasn't just a london / city thing.  My Dad had it used on him (again in the war) in the midlands countryside.
eee, you tell the youth of today, and they won't believe you.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #4 on: 18/02/2010 10:04:24 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums