The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Can you identify the location?  (Read 20645 times)

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
Can you identify the location?
« on: 14/02/2010 07:26:58 »
Does anyone happen to know where this photo was taken? It might be near Blackpool. It's from an old family album and we are trying to identify the location.

Offline graham.d

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 14/02/2010 11:32:52 »
Regrettably, there is not a lot to go on. The two buildings are distinctive and the chimney in the background may be significant but I can't place it. I'm originally from Formby, Lancs. so know that part of the world quite well.

Quick research on the aircraft, which I expect you've done, shows it to be an AVRO 504 which crashed 9th May 1932. It belonged at the time to Northern Air Transport based in Barton near Manchester. The photo does not seem to be of Barton though. It looks like a beach area (JPEG limits the resolution) but I can't tell. 

Offline graham.d

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 14/02/2010 12:55:48 »
Northern air transport did operate between Manchester and Stanley Park Aerodrome in Blackpool. Could it be there? The area has been redeveloped so an contemporary map is required.

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 14/02/2010 19:07:07 »
Thanks Graham!

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 14/02/2010 19:21:45 »
Very little can be done to improve the images of the buildings on the photo posted ...

You may be able increase the resolution setting on your scanner for a more detailed image.
« Last Edit: 14/02/2010 19:28:30 by RD »

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 15/02/2010 00:28:20 »
Very little can be done to improve the images of the buildings on the photo posted ...

You may be able increase the resolution setting on your scanner for a more detailed image.

Thanks RD. My brother in Aberdeen has the original. I'll ask him to try to step up the resolution.

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 15/02/2010 00:42:21 »
If anyone is interested, here's the gent that took the picture. It's my dad, and this is probably in the chemist shop in Blackpool where he worked as a young pharmacist.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 15/02/2010 01:20:32 »
Geezer..

I think ewe have missed a vital clue in the picture !

If ewe look very closely....(it's tricky but squint and you'll see it !!)...but I reckon your pop took this photo in India !!

Glad I could help !

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 15/02/2010 07:04:18 »
I'll ask him to try to step up the resolution.

This does increase the time taken to scan the image and the file size, but the time could be reduced by just scanning the centre area with the buildings, not the whole image.
For highest resolution the image should not be in a lossy compression format like jpeg, but lossless like png. (File size will be 5x - 10x bigger than jpeg).

Increasing the resolution of the scan may not necessarily improve the image: if you can see sharply defined photographic grain on the digital image that's as good as it's going to get.

BTW here is Geezer Snr without the bright flare spot in the centre of the frame ...

« Last Edit: 15/02/2010 17:04:48 by RD »

Offline graham.d

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 16/02/2010 13:55:31 »
Looking again, DiscoverDave may be right about Crosby Beach but better resolution would help. What I remember, from 40 plus years ago, is that Ormskirk Parish Church can be seen from much of the area in that part of the world. The shape of the hill and the church look like the feature on the horizon towards the right of the picture. The church is very distinctive (see pics on the web) so may be reconisable with better resolution. If so it is the north end of the beach otherwise Ormskirk would not be seen; the land rises close to the shore further towards Liverpool. The two impressive buildings may be related to the golf course to their north but I could find no pics of the area in the 1920s to confirm. They are not there now - at least not like that. It is certainly true that Northern Air Transport operated around Crosby too as one of their other Avro 504s crashed in Crosby.

Offline graham.d

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 17/02/2010 17:57:43 »
Maybe further to the North, if it's there at all. Better resolution pic would help. Identifying Ormskirk parish church on the hill in the distance would definately tie it down to this area.

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 17/02/2010 18:12:25 »
Thanks everyone!

I've asked my brother to send hi res clips of the buildings. He only checks his e-mail about once a week, so it could take a while  :D

Offline graham.d

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 18/02/2010 09:12:44 »
Not just the buildings, Geezer. The two main buildings are reasonably clear anyway. If we had a photo or map from the 1920s it would be clear. The church on the mound to the right of the picture is important. Apart from the file size, it isn't any harder to get a high res image of the whole thing is it?

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 19/02/2010 03:52:07 »
Dave, I think Graham is referring to this one.

Oooh! I just noticed that there appears to be someone on a bicycle (or motor cycle perhaps) right above the letter L on the fuselage. That could suggest there is a paved surface at that point.

« Last Edit: 19/02/2010 03:57:43 by Geezer »

Offline graham.d

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 19/02/2010 10:01:07 »
Correct. You need to compare that church with Ormskirk Parish church which has an unusual spire and tower combination. Unfortunately, I don't think it is Ormskirk Church from this image, but I am not wholly sure.

Offline graham.d

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 19/02/2010 15:28:59 »
Dave, I suggested Ormskirk because I lived in the area (Formby) for the first 18 years of my life and remember that the church on the hill (about 8 miles away) was a very distinctive feature that could be seen from Ainsdale to Crosby. South of Crosby it was too built up, and I think it was even in the 1920s. It could be another church, and it is hard to determine the perpective, but then it would not narrow it down to Crosby particularly. Did you have any reason to suspect Crosby? I didn't think it would be there (until you suggested it) because Geezer was suggesting Blackpool area.

I don't think it's Blackpool tower that you can see unless there is a heavy smoker on top. I think I see a plume so it is probably a chimney stack. If it were the tower we would have to be much further North than Crosby.

Interesting puzzle isn't it?

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 19/02/2010 15:37:01 »
I don't think it's Blackpool tower

It is more like a chimney: the insert is derived form the Blackpool tower image posted above

The "plume" could be cloud rather than smoke, but the building seems too slim to be the tower.
« Last Edit: 19/02/2010 15:39:32 by RD »

Offline graham.d

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 19/02/2010 15:49:45 »
I would have a small wager that it is a smoke plume - it's in the same direction as the smoke from the more distinctive stack over the EB on the plane. Could be a cloud though.

You are pretty nifty with the photo manipulation, RD. Are you using photoshop?

Offline graham.d

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 19/02/2010 16:30:32 »
Here is a pic of Ormskirk parish church taken from the south. The tower is very distinctive alonside the spire. This may not tally with the church in the pic, which if viewed from Crosby, would be looking from the south west. Need the high res picci.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ormskirk_Parish_Church.JPG

One other useful pointer, if we could determine it, is that churches are generally aligned East-West along their length. I don't think the spire has to be anywhere but it is often at one end.

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 19/02/2010 18:53:37 »
RD. Are you using photoshop?

I’m a cheapskate : I use a free image manipulation programme called GIMP. It is available in Photoshop format : GIMPshop*.

[* should be the name of a sub-section in Anne Summers boutiques  :) ]   
« Last Edit: 19/02/2010 19:01:40 by RD »

Offline graham.d

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 22/02/2010 09:18:30 »
I was only 20 or so miles from Crosby at the weekend (visiting my mum in the Wirral) and would have gone to have a look had the weather been OK, but snow showers would have made it pointless as visibility very low. Looking at an OS map suggests that the church on the hill at Ormskirk may not be visible from Blundellsands afterall, as there seems to be some high ground in between. It may be a closer church (there is a possible one in Little Crosby) but it is hard to say. Of course it may not be this area at all!!

The photo must have been taken between 1927 (aircraft purchased) and May 9th, 1932 when it was written off after a crash (there were no fatalities).

When you get a higher res photo, Geezer, I suggest that you scan it with at least 4x the resolution (preferably more). Because the file will be huge I suggest just posting the key features as separate pics.

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 24/02/2010 06:13:29 »
Looks like my brother figured it out. The idea that it was near Blackpool was a bum steer. Sorry!

Here are the the coordinates of the left distinctive building with the turret. Both buildings are still there. You should be able to find the church spire. Also, the "factory chimney" is not what it seems. 

55°27'15.01"N   
4°38'28.85"W

Small World Graham. My mother had a cousin who lived in the Wirral. Her husband was a marine bioligist at Liv Uni.
« Last Edit: 24/02/2010 06:23:39 by Geezer »

Offline graham.d

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 24/02/2010 08:57:54 »
Bu**er, I was enjoying the challenge. I'm not sure I would have guessed at looking that far north though, given all the clues about where the plane operated. What was the big event everyone was gathered for?

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 24/02/2010 11:03:47 »
Also, the "factory chimney" is not what it seems. 

55°27'15.01"N   
4°38'28.85"W

Insert derived from this image ... http://www.clydesite.co.uk/ayr/ayr_town_hall.asp

Offline graham.d

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 24/02/2010 11:39:37 »
It is hard to see where the viewing point is, where the two houses are and where the church is. Can you give exact coordinates for each Geezer? I would have thought the town hall spire would be further to the right compared to the image (I still think it's a chimney).

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #24 on: 24/02/2010 11:39:37 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length