The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Can you identify the location?  (Read 20586 times)

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
Can you identify the location?
« Reply #75 on: 28/02/2010 01:09:58 »
Not much to narrow this one down. I'd hazard a guess at Priest Lake.

You know, it does look a bit like Priest Lake. That mountain in the distance is a good bit taller than the ones near Priest Lake.

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: 28/02/2010 01:23:22 »
It looks like Geezer's brother did a good job of finding relevent pics on the internet. It's very hard to find a site with just the right pics so amazingly well done. The higher res pics would have been a help too. It is certainly much clearer that the it is the town hall spire.

The Geezer brother in unencumbered by domestic authorities.

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: 11/03/2010 03:01:52 »
I'm sure nobody actually gives gives a carp the suspense has been intolerable, so I thought it best to come clean.

It's in Montana - Lake MacDonald in Glacier National Park.

Offline graham.d

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: 11/03/2010 08:54:25 »
There you go spoiling all the fun :-)

Actually that was far too hard without any external clues. Finding a random lake with a mountain is pretty difficult and this time there was no extra clues (like a boundary mark). Even the name on the boat was unreadable. I guessed it might be somewhere near the Selkirk mountains - well at least it was in the US.

It was interesting and challenging trying to find info on the Ayr photo because it might have had some importence or relevance to you or your family. And the Swiss site was just a challenge. Perhaps you should try to see if some newspaper would run a competition along this line. It's better than spot-the-ball.

Offline LeeE

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Spatial
« Reply #79 on: 11/03/2010 15:39:42 »
Does anyone recognise this place?

(Photo snaffled from the web)

Offline graham.d

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: 11/03/2010 17:18:58 »
Too easy. It's Coire Mhic Fearchair Ben Eighe.

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: 11/03/2010 20:20:07 »
Ah! Torridon is a wonderful place.

Offline LeeE

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Spatial
« Reply #82 on: 11/03/2010 23:33:56 »
Absolutely correct.  I guess those triple buttresses are just too easily recognisable.  I had to camp up there one December night and the only bit of flat 'ground' that I could put the tent up on was the frozen run-off from the lake.

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: 12/03/2010 04:48:24 »
I had to camp up there one December night

Good grief! I hope you had a good sleeping bag.

Dangerous place Scotland. The weather in the mountains can change from delightful to deadly in no time at all. It scares me to watch parents taking young children up mountains like Ben Lomond as if they were going for a walk in the park.
« Last Edit: 12/03/2010 04:57:36 by Geezer »

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: 12/03/2010 05:40:31 »
No prizes for guessing where this is. It's in Irvine, Scotland. My grandparents had a dairy there, and the horse (called Snowball, naturally) pulled the milk float. The three gents are my uncles and my dad, who was the oldest, was the photographer.

The only reason I posted this one is because I find it fascinating that this shot was taken at least eighty years ago. Uncle Andrew, who is holding Snowball, looks as if he could have stepped off the street a couple of weeks ago. I suppose men's fashions have not really changed much.

Offline graham.d

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: 12/03/2010 10:17:36 »
The two lads on the horse don't look too happy. You are absolutely right about the style of your uncle. Timeless.

Offline LeeE

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Spatial
« Reply #86 on: 12/03/2010 16:07:07 »
I had to camp up there one December night

Good grief! I hope you had a good sleeping bag.

Oh yes, most definitely.  It was snowing only moderately when my pal and I put the tent up but it turned into a bit of a blizzard in the night i.e. from about 16:30/17:00 onwards.  It was also the site of the most challenging tom-tit I ever had too, as I had to put on my gortexes and crampons before venturing out into the dark, wind and snow, and then take careful aim whilst only exposing the bare minimum.  Lol - even just handling the loo-paper was a challenge.

That wasn't the coldest night we had on that trip through: on our way back home we camped beside Loch Ness and when we woke up to a bright and clear morning the insides of the tent were coated with ice, formed from the moisture in our breath as we slept, and similarly, the evaporated moisture from our bodies had frozen into lots of little ice balls on the outside of our sleeping bags.

The great thing about winter hill walking though, is that you don't have to worry about mud too much, as it's all frozen solid, and to clean your cooking pans, you just fill them with water and then chip it all out with your ice axe once it's frozen - much easier than trying to wash them in cold water and without detergent.  Oh yes, and no midges either: another great bonus ;D

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: 12/03/2010 22:03:20 »
The two lads on the horse don't look too happy.

They do look a bit ticked off, don't they. They probably got fed up sitting there while my dad messed around with his camera. Perhaps it was because old Snowball had major "outgassing".

Come to think of it, my dad was into home movies (9.5 mm) and on one occasion he had us all parading up and down for ages in the gardens at Hampton Court while he recorded the remarkable event.

I think my mother finally told him to knock it off!

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #87 on: 12/03/2010 22:03:20 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums