The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: will our sun explode as a supernova or become a red giant or something else ?  (Read 9674 times)

Offline giva007

• First timers
    • View Profile
just read from somewhere else about the dying stars and it sequence that some turns into devastating blackhole while some other just become a red giant star if the stars have no sufficient energy to explode .

that posses a question for me, will our sun explode as a supernova or just become a red giant or turns into a blackhole perhaps? thanks in advance  :)  :)

Offline Soul Surfer

• Neilep Level Member
  • keep banging the rocks together
    • View Profile
    • ian kimber's web workspace
The current predictions for the evolution of the sun which is well down the main sequence of stars is that it will eventually swell into a red giant and then go into what is called the asymptotic giant class where it relatively slowly blows away its outer layers in the form of a planetary nebula to leave a white dwarf star which is essentially the dead core of the sun.  This will cool down extremely slowly over many hundreds of billions of years. 

The most probable time scale for the red giant phase of the sun is about five billion years from now although before this the sun will (and currently is) warming up and getting a bit brighter.  This will probably render the earth uninhabitable in about one billion years time.

These predictions are well supported by observations of star clusters and mathematical models of stars.

Offline giva007

• First timers
    • View Profile
how big the sun will be? i just search for it and found on one website that the sun will expand in at least 1 AU in diameter. and yes i guess that the earth will no longer habitable due to extreme temperature isn't it? but how close the sun outer atmosphere to earth will be?

Offline flr

• View Profile
The Sun will expand and became a bit larger in diameter than the current Earth's orbit.
If the Earth won't get pushed away by the strong solar wind, then it will be melted and incorporated in Sun composition.

We only have 0.5 billions years to leave the Earth, in order to survive as a species. Some estimates gives 0.75 billions more years to Earth to sustain life. Almost all estimates mention that in 1 billion years from now the Earth will be too hot for life.   

Offline LeeE

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Spatial
how big the sun will be? i just search for it and found on one website that the sun will expand in at least 1 AU in diameter. and yes i guess that the earth will no longer habitable due to extreme temperature isn't it? but how close the sun outer atmosphere to earth will be?

1AU = the distance between the Earth and the Sun.

As flr says, it's expected that the Sun will become a little larger than Earth's orbit.

Offline giva007

• First timers
    • View Profile

1AU = the distance between the Earth and the Sun.

As flr says, it's expected that the Sun will become a little larger than Earth's orbit.

okay, let's say that the earth is pushed away to an outer orbit instead of getting melt in the sun's outer atmosphere, but it has no effect for us right? i mean if the earth swallowed by the sun, it'll be burn and melted. but if it is not, the earth still burning because it's orbit are closer to sun (because the star is getting bigger right? then how about mars? will us be survive if we get there? or it just the same with earth? (sorry for bad English)

Offline flr

• View Profile

I am not sure Mars will help us since it has weaker magnetic field to protect from cosmic and solar rays.

Also, Mars does not have a Moon to stabilize it and its weather.

I would assume in 0.5-0.7 billions years we will be able to get into space and leave there autonomously, and we don't really have to care by then about temporarily settling Mars.

Offline giva007

• First timers
    • View Profile
oh yeah i heard that the mars atmosphere was being dragged out by solar wind and leaving only it's thin atmosphere barely just like now. but i think it's not an entirely bad idea to build a small colonies on mars, since it can be a something like fuel depot or transit point for interstellar spacecraft in the future, isn't it?  :)

Offline flr

• View Profile
 The Earth and the life on it may still be saved by us for 2-3 billions more years by putting the Earth in higher and higher orbits as the Sun's activity increases. That could be achieved for example by bringing close asteroids which will gravitationally drag the Earth on a little bit.

....but i think it's not an entirely bad idea to build a small colonies on mars, since it can be a something like fuel depot or transit point for interstellar spacecraft ...

If by then we still have to rely on Mars for colony and 'fuel depot' then forget it ... we are doomed .... our brain did not evolved enough to learn us how to live in space autonomously.

Offline giva007

• First timers
    • View Profile
....but i think it's not an entirely bad idea to build a small colonies on mars, since it can be a something like fuel depot or transit point for interstellar spacecraft ...

If by then we still have to rely on Mars for colony and 'fuel depot' then forget it ... we are doomed .... our brain did not evolved enough to learn us how to live in space autonomously.

no i think you've misunderstanding what i mean. i mean not only when the earth time has come but from now, or at least a few more years to come. since scientist trying to learn the moons atmosphere and soil, planning to build such depot in there for resupplying ship on it's way to mars. (but i forget where i was reading this article)

Offline flr

• View Profile
The distance to Mars is within the reach of chemical fuels, building a 'fuel depot' on the Moon in order to jump to Mars may be an option.

For interstellar flight however, it may not be feasible to rely on chemical fuels. If a propulsion breakthrough is found and we can make it to the next star faster than in "generational ships", I am not sure it will then make much difference if we make the jump from Earth proximity or from Mars.

I suspect that within 100-200 years from now (or possibly earlier) we may step on Mars and build a small self-sustainable colony there, but that is pure speculation.

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums