The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Why do some medications cause cognitive impairment and what else causes it?  (Read 4620 times)

Offline OldDragon

• Heaven doesn't want me & the devil's afraid to.
    • View Profile
Okay, so now you know I am still alive, and have finally managed to find my way back here, I'd be interested in some answers to the above question, please.  ;)

Thanks.

Offline Jolly- Joliver

• View Profile
Okay, so now you know I am still alive, and have finally managed to find my way back here, I'd be interested in some answers to the above question, please.  ;)

Thanks.

Sorry who are you or were you?

The drugs cause impairments through the side effects, "Do not opperate machinery" Pass go, or collect 200 pounds.

And it's not just impairments, some drugs can induce depression, LSD(depending on the type and strength) can induce paranoia. A long list actually of what the side-effects of certain drugs can cause.

And they are the "side effects" unless someone designed a drug to give a person depression, or paranoia, any effects outside the pupose of the drugs main use, are the side effects.
« Last Edit: 12/04/2011 14:37:01 by Wiybit »

Offline rosy

• Neilep Level Member
  • Chemistry
    • View Profile
'ello Dragon! Glad to see you again.

I'm afraid I don't know much about side effects of drugs, except in the most general sense... if it's having a (presumably desireable) effect on one bit of your body, odds are it will have effects (perhaps less desireable) elsewhere, so drug prescribing is nearly always a case of weighing up these costs and benefits (for example for warfarin, is the increased risk of poorly controlled bleeding in the case of cutting oneself preparing dinner worth it for the decreased risk of stroke due to blood clots in the brain).

Having an infection can also cause cognitive impairment, I've no idea why, but I know both my Gran and my chap's Gran (both now sadly beyond the reach of infections of all sorts) had various infections of one sort or another in their later years and whilst entirely compos mentis before and after were decidedly not themselves whilst ill (chest infections, infected toes, UTIs, etc etc).

Sorry who are you or were you?
Wiybit, if you don't know who a poster is, you can always go and look them up via their most recent posts, available from their profile, or through the search function. Or you could just give a straight answer to a straight question. Or you could say something like "Hi, don't think we've met" and then give your answer. You don't, in any case, need to be rude... and if you didn't mean to be rude, you need to re-read your comments before posting them.

Offline Karen W.

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Wiybit and Rosy....I am sorry to have to tell you, but Alison...better known as Al or old dragon, passed away some time ago....She will be missed.

Offline rosy

• Neilep Level Member
  • Chemistry
    • View Profile
Oh dear, I didn't notice the date on the original post. And I hadn't heard Al'd died.. tho' I guess I'm not terribly surprised, which was why I was pleased to see what I thought was a new post from her. Thanks for telling me, Karen, anyhow.

Offline Karen W.

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
She died right before November 2, 2010.. I posted in inclined bed therapy when I was notified...they said it had happened very suddenly... I am sorry Rosy..my regards...and your welcome..... she was a tough amazing woman....

Offline Jolly- Joliver

• View Profile
Thankyou for telling us Karen.

and Rosy I wasn't being rude, I really do not know why you assume that, and it is an assumption because it is certainly not an intention, to either appear to or actively seek to be rude to anyone, I will Jest on occasion, but those jests are generally if not always- explicit.

« Last Edit: 12/04/2011 21:51:46 by Wiybit »

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
Wiybit,

Rosy was not assuming you were being rude. She was telling you that saying something like "Sorry who are you or were you?" is being rude.

If you don't understand that, it would probably be a good idea not to include any editorial comments in your posts.

Offline Jolly- Joliver

• View Profile
Wiybit,

Rosy was not assuming you were being rude. She was telling you that saying something like "Sorry who are you or were you?" is being rude.

If you don't understand that, it would probably be a good idea not to include any editorial comments in your posts.

Sorry Geezer but maybe you can explain what's rube about it? I asked a question, simply based on what she had said, there was no intencion to be rude at all.

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
Wiybit,

Sorry Geezer but maybe you can explain what's rube about it? I asked a question, simply based on what she had said, there was no intencion to be rude at all.

This might help -

If a total stranger came up to you in the street and asked, "Sorry who are you or were you?" how would you react?

I know how I'd react. I'd tell them to mind their own effing business.

Offline Jolly- Joliver

• View Profile
Wiybit,

This might help -

If a total stranger came up to you in the street and asked, "Sorry who are you or were you?" how would you react?

I know how I'd react. I'd tell them to mind their own effing business.

Except your analogy is in acurate. First a stranger would say "Okay, so now you know I am still alive, and have finally managed to find my way back here"

Then the other would say "Sorry Who are you?"

Not rude, just a question.

Offline rosy

• Neilep Level Member
  • Chemistry
    • View Profile
Errm, no.

Hm. How to explain?

OK, trying a different analogy. If you were with a group of people you knew slightly, in a public place, let's say you've met up with some colleagues at a concert in the park.. if someone came up to the group and, addressing the group, said "Hi there! I'm not dead! How are you guys? Enjoying the music?" Would you jump straight in and say "Who are you?" or would you assume that you weren't the immediate object of the greeting, that the new arrival knew some or most of the people you were with and either wait for someone else to answer, or maybe smile, say "yes, it's great" (or "well, I'm quite enjoying what I can hear over the crummy amplifier"), perhaps followed up with "Hi, I don't think we've met, I'm Wiybit".

See, on the internet, not only can nobody hear you scream, but nobody can hear your tone of voice either. I've never met you, so I don't know whether your "Who are you?" has a friendly smile with it and is a genuine question (in which case that would perhaps be made clear by your introducing yourself a bit) or whether, as is implied (conciously or not) by your phrasing, it is meant as a reproof to the original poster for being overfamiliar and acting like they expect to be recognised (of course, at the time Al was posting this, which as has been observed already was in this case in February 2010, most of the regular posters knew who she was).

The other point I'd want to make about your post is one of tact and reading for implications, even if you've got no idea who someone is. Al had announced that she was back (from a presumably extended period of not posting). She'd told us she wasn't dead, which might just be a rhetorical "Ha! I've been away so long you must have all thought I'd died!", but you've no way of knowing that, and finally this apparent first post after being away is about the effects of certain medications on cognitive performance. That might, or might not, suggest that she had some strong personal reason for being interested. It would probably be considerate to add these together and make an extra effort (or, given that the post is clearly long past, just not respond to it at all).

You were rude. You may not have meant to be, but you were. Treat it as a learning experience and move on.

Offline Jolly- Joliver

• View Profile
Errm, no.

Hm. How to explain?

OK, trying a different analogy. If you were with a group of people you knew slightly, in a public place, let's say you've met up with some colleagues at a concert in the park.. if someone came up to the group and, addressing the group, said "Hi there! I'm not dead! How are you guys? Enjoying the music?" Would you jump straight in and say "Who are you?"

Depends, I certainly could do that, and others or they would tell me.

or would you assume that you weren't the immediate object of the greeting,

Said to the group is said to every member of that group.

that the new arrival knew some or most of the people you were with and either wait for someone else to answer, or maybe smile, say "yes, it's great" (or "well, I'm quite enjoying what I can hear over the crummy amplifier"), perhaps followed up with "Hi, I don't think we've met, I'm Wiybit".

See, on the internet, not only can nobody hear you scream, but nobody can hear your tone of voice either. I've never met you, so I don't know whether your "Who are you?" has a friendly smile with it and is a genuine question (in which case that would perhaps be made clear by your introducing yourself a bit) or whether, as is implied (conciously or not) by your phrasing, it is meant as a reproof to the original poster for being overfamiliar and acting like they expect to be recognised (of course, at the time Al was posting this, which as has been observed already was in this case in February 2010, most of the regular posters knew who she was).

So you assume the worst and assume is the word.

The other point I'd want to make about your post is one of tact and reading for implications, even if you've got no idea who someone is. Al had announced that she was back (from a presumably extended period of not posting). She'd told us she wasn't dead, which might just be a rhetorical "Ha! I've been away so long you must have all thought I'd died!", but you've no way of knowing that, and finally this apparent first post after being away is about the effects of certain medications on cognitive performance. That might, or might not, suggest that she had some strong personal reason for being interested. It would probably be considerate to add these together and make an extra effort (or, given that the post is clearly long past, just not respond to it at all).

You were rude.

No I was not.

You may not have meant to be, but you were. Treat it as a learning experience and move on.

I agree we should move on and leave it be, or atleast agree to dis-agree.

Offline JP

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
I'm locking this thread because it's no longer about science, or about the death of a forum member.  Wiybit, in the future please either apologize or don't say anything at all rather than derailing a thread.  It's amazing how much can be solved with a simple, "I'm sorry that you felt I was rude.  I didn't intend to be," even if you feel that the other user is completely wrong. 

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length