The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Is the universe the same age everywhere?  (Read 1553 times)

Offline Eric A. Taylor

• I before E except after C, unless weird science
    • View Profile
Is the universe the same age everywhere?
« on: 19/02/2010 10:26:50 »
Astrophysicists have told us the universe is about 13.7 billion years old. If I were to travel instantly to a distant galaxy, say 12.5 billion light years away would the people living there also say the universe is 13.7 billion years old?

Relativity tells us that the amount of elapsed time we measure depends on how fast we move and or how much gravity we feel. So if I'm very close to the event horizon of a black hole what I measure as 1 second, someone on Earth might measure as millions of years.

Also because the universe was denser in the past would local gravity be higher and would time pass more slowly?

Offline flr

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 19/02/2010 11:18:04 »
The age of universe is not the same everywhere.
If you would be a very energetic cosmic ray, you would see the bing-bang occurring "1 hour ago" (or so).

Offline PhysBang

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 19/02/2010 18:02:04 »
The age of the universe is something defined in a certain, somewhat artificial, frame of reference. This frame of reference syncs up somewhat with the time that galaxies naturally experience, so to speak. However, because galaxies drift around a bit, many of them will have experienced a slightly different amount of time than the age of the universe. However, they should all be able to figure out what we mean by the age of the universe, because the frame of reference used to determine this duration is fairly obvious: it is the rest frame of the galaxies on average and of the background radiation (on average).

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #2 on: 19/02/2010 18:02:04 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums