The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Can Lip Readers Identify Accents ?  (Read 2695 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
Can Lip Readers Identify Accents ?
« on: 21/02/2010 10:10:50 »
Is it possible for someone who can read lips to identify accents too ?

whajafink ?

Offline Madidus_Scientia

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 21/02/2010 11:42:53 »
Now that is a very good question, what made ewe think of it?

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21/02/2010 11:57:00 »
Now that is a very good question, what made ewe think of it?

Thanks Chum,

I was watching a program that was being signed (for the deaf).....and the people also had strong accents.....It just made me think about whether deaf people who can read ' sign'  and read lips  as to whether they can also detect accents..

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 24/02/2010 15:59:50 »
Accents appear as differences in the position and motion of the vocal tract, most noticeably the lips and jaw.  For example, among American dialects, southerners say "awl" for the word "oil" which most others pronounce as "oyil". 

Signers read signs, facial expressions, etc simultaneously.  A reader who's familiar with accents might recognize differences in another signer.  This article on regional signing dialects says that, for "self-signers"(?), there can be enough difference in the signing itself to allow a signer to recognize an accent.  This article also states,  surprisingly (for me), that just like Hispanic hearing people who "code switch" (ie, mix English and Spanish), so do these students mix ASL and LSM (American Sign Language and Mexican Sign Language)!!

An independent signer stands apart from the speaker and signs after the speaker speaks.  So, this spacial and temporal difference seems enough to me (I am guessing) to not allow much recognition of an accent.

Thanks Neilep for asking this enlightening question!

...and thank ewe Dave for answering it !.......

..as an English sheepy I am of course exposed to a whole gamut of very distinctive local accents & dialects and I assume that the same breadth and wealth is represented in America Land too.......but...as an English sheepy...I usually have difficulty in distinguishing between American and Canadian accents !...It would be interesting to know if an American lip reader could easily distinguish between the American accents and then know immediately that a Canadian one is being used.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #3 on: 24/02/2010 15:59:50 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums