The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: How does acupuncture work?  (Read 11695 times)

Zoe Yip

How does acupuncture work?
« on: 22/02/2010 10:30:03 »
Zoe Yip asked the Naked Scientists:

I love your programme very much! it's awesome!!!!

I was wondering how does the Chinese acupuncture work? Any scientific explanation on it?

Thanks a lot
x

What do you think?
« Last Edit: 22/02/2010 10:30:03 by _system »

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 22/02/2010 19:41:07 »
The first question is does acupuncture work- or at least work any better than the placebo effect?

Offline stereologist

• View Profile
    • Stereothena
« Reply #2 on: 23/02/2010 02:57:42 »
A while back I read that acupuncture is not as old as claimed. The oldest European mention is from a 1680s text. Europeans had brought back info on Chinese medicine beginning in the 1300s, but there is no mention of acupuncture until this 1680s text. A 2005 study published in JAMA showed that acupuncture and sham acupuncture had about the same success rate for relieving headaches.

Offline yor_on

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • (Ah, yes:) *a table is always good to hide under*
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10/03/2010 01:18:16 »
There is Swedish research from 2009 on it suggesting that it doesn't seem to matter where you put those needles, around half of the patients treated will experience a pain lessening effect due to the treatment anyway.

They also used a special type of needles not penetrating the skin, but that seems to me to be of lesser importance, as there is a lot of other Chinese treatments using those 'special points' without penetrating the skin, acupressure, moxa, etc.

Still, if it is a 'sham' it works very well :)
As almost fifty percent found a relief in the treatment.

Offline JP

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10/03/2010 04:39:54 »
The last I heard (and I admittedly don't follow it well), there was some evidence that acupuncture did appear to work better than placebo for certain specific types of pain relief (though not as well as pharmaceuticals).  Here's a link to the NIH (a US government agency) about it:

http://nccam.nih.gov/health/acupuncture/acupuncture-for-pain.htm

Although upon reading that again, they seem do be saying that although some studies showed that it appears to work, there isn't enough evidence yet.

Offline Zoe Yip

• First timers
    • View Profile
Re: How does acupuncture work?
« Reply #5 on: 14/06/2015 19:02:51 »
wow that’s a really useful piece of information! thanks JP for the acupuncture website from the NCCIH!
actually i still believe that chinese acupuncture works only because of its psychological effects on patient, rather than its REAL “scientific” physiological effect on pain relieve. although being a chinese myself, i don’t really believe in the traditional chinese medicine at all haha!

Offline Zoe Yip

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 14/06/2015 19:06:10 »
There is Swedish research from 2009 on it suggesting that it doesn't seem to matter where you put those needles, around half of the patients treated will experience a pain lessening effect due to the treatment anyway.

They also used a special type of needles not penetrating the skin, but that seems to me to be of lesser importance, as there is a lot of other Chinese treatments using those 'special points' without penetrating the skin, acupressure, moxa, etc.

Still, if it is a 'sham' it works very well :)
As almost fifty percent found a relief in the treatment.

yes haha! very true! playing around with psychology again!

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #6 on: 14/06/2015 19:06:10 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length