The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Tabacco  (Read 3740 times)

Offline OldMan

• View Profile
Tabacco
« on: 08/11/2005 11:15:01 »
Hi all,

Haven't been around for a good long while but taking a break from study in order to seek answers to a something I heard the other day. It was on the Dr Carl radio show here and was something to do with tabacco and treating wounds. Not sure exactly what it was but they mentioned some guy putting tabacco on a big gash in his head. I think it was something about stopping the bleeding but I didn't hear the rest of the story so if anyone can shed some light that would be good.

Cheers

Tim

ROBERT

Re: Tabacco
« Reply #1 on: 09/12/2005 14:49:18 »
Hi OldMan,
I didn't hear the Dr Karl show.
Tobacco slows wound healing beacause it causes vasoconstriction,
so it could slow bleeding if applied to a wound.
The Dr Karl story must be one of the few occasions where tobacco has been beneficial to health.
 There are a few diseases such as Ulcerative Colitis (UC) where smoking tobacco reduces ones chance of developing it - it has been described as a "non-smokers disease".

another_someone

« Reply #2 on: 09/12/2005 22:45:02 »
quote:
Originally posted by ROBERT

Hi OldMan,
I didn't hear the Dr Karl show.
Tobacco slows wound healing beacause it causes vasoconstriction,
so it could slow bleeding if applied to a wound.
The Dr Karl story must be one of the few occasions where tobacco has been beneficial to health.
 There are a few diseases such as Ulcerative Colitis (UC) where smoking tobacco reduces ones chance of developing it - it has been described as a "non-smokers disease".

I believe there has also been stories about tobacco reducing the likelihood of Parkinson's.

Ofcourse, there are plenty of diseases that tobacco can increase the likelihood of, but it just goes to show that nothing is 100% good or 100% bad.

sharkeyandgeorge

« Reply #3 on: 10/12/2005 15:07:59 »
as a smoker i would also like to say that nicotine has been proved to aid memory retention and in trials appears to slightly increase intellagence (though going by my spelling and grammer not in my case)

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
The philosopher Q man

ROBERT

« Reply #4 on: 12/12/2005 15:38:05 »
Hi SharkeyandGeorge,
the effects of tobacco are not just due to Nicotine,
apparently there are thousands of chemicals in tobacco:-

http://www.acde.org/common/Tobacco.htm

any of them acting singly, or in concert, could be responsible
for any physiological effect, beneficial or harmful.
« Last Edit: 12/12/2005 15:38:52 by ROBERT »

Offline qazibasit

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 23/12/2005 10:14:53 »
ya one of the most adverse effect of tobacco is that while smoking the carbon you inhale cause mutation in ur body and this leads to cancer. If you are taking tobacco in chewing form than its chances reduces but in that case there is a chance of pharyngitis and throat cancers.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #5 on: 23/12/2005 10:14:53 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums