The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Are the sunspots returning?  (Read 2690 times)

Offline litespeed

• View Profile
Are the sunspots returning?
« on: 24/02/2010 17:18:02 »
There may be a recovery. This is important because 2008 and 2009 had among the most spotless days in 148 years. Ranking number four and five, I think. Further, they were the ONLY consecutive years to have similarly high spotless days.

Here is a graph from January and most of February. I have been unable to find an analysis of how significant these numbers might be. Whether they are typical of early cycle activity or not. Sunspot peak has been estimated for 2011 or 2012. However, the sun was down right catatonic the last couple of years, and I don't know how that figures in.

At any rate, the commentator at one of the sites I visited expressed relief.

http://space-env.esa.int/Data_Plots/noaa/ssn_plot.gif
« Last Edit: 24/02/2010 17:19:39 by litespeed »

Offline frethack

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 25/02/2010 20:20:12 »
Whether they are typical of early cycle activity or not. Sunspot peak has been estimated for 2011 or 2012.

Youre right, cycle 24 is beginning to ramp up.  There hasnt been a spotless day in about 35 days, and less than 5 spotless days since about mid-December.  This is very encouraging, and hopefully it lasts.

If you want to keep up with solar activity there are a couple of good sites (I use them daily):
www.solarcycle24.com
www.spaceweather.com

As far as sunspot peak in 2011/2012...probably not that soon...at least not 2011.  2012 is a possibility, but because of the delays and depth of solar minimum, the maximum will probably be reached in 2013.  Its a pretty exciting time for  "cosmoclimatologists" in that there is an unusual solar minimum during a sustained grand maximum, and the solar recovery can be watched by the Solar Dynamic Observatory that was just launched in the past two weeks.  Pretty exciting stuff.

Offline yor_on

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • (Ah, yes:) *a table is always good to hide under*
    • View Profile

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #2 on: 07/03/2010 20:04:05 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums