The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Does gravity affect gravity?  (Read 8328 times)

Offline yor_on

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • (Ah, yes:) *a table is always good to hide under*
    • View Profile
Does gravity affect gravity?
« Reply #25 on: 03/03/2010 07:17:13 »
What forbids a black hole is the fact that it is a singularity Vern, 'Terra Incognito'. You can't divide with zero, so in that motto we need some really 'phreaky math' to come up with ideas for what might be in there. Seems like it's only string theory that have succeed with that, as yet?

If they are right? Well, as far as I know it's still a purely mathematical construction, without any real experimental evidence, but that might change, and maybe there is the possibility of indirect evidence too? Like things we can't really observe but still have good reasons to expect to exist, like vacuum energy.

Offline Vern

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Photonics
« Reply #26 on: 03/03/2010 10:05:30 »
I suspect the answer will not come through string theory. When I look at Poincare's work, I get the feeling that he knew the answer to the final puzzle. The answer wasn't acceptable in his time. It's still not.

Offline jartza

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 07/11/2010 06:58:30 »
The equation for acceleration contains time as an element.  Stars in galaxies experience acceleration toward the galactic centre. Massive objects in a gravity field experience the passage of time as being slower than if the gravity field were not there.

So it seems that gravity would have a negative affect upon gravity so that it would not follow a linear increase as mass increases.

Time dilation due to gravity should then be considered when calculating the expected speed of galactic rotation.

What am I missing?

The bigger the galaxy the more the space rotates with the galaxy.

No centrifugal force is generated when you rotate at the same rate that the space rotates.

Offline jartza

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 10/11/2010 04:51:37 »

No centrifugal force is generated when you rotate at the same rate that the space rotates.

I wonder could it really be so that there's no centrifugal force?

Now let's shoot a relativistic projectile at a small black hole.

After the shot the black hole is moving backwards.

A pushing force between the projectile and the black hole caused the backwards motion.

A pushing gravitational force.

Also when dropping something into a black hole there is a pushing force. First there is a pulling force, then there is a pushing force. That's why the black hole does not change its speed when an object is dropped into it. 

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #28 on: 10/11/2010 04:51:37 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums