The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: TEST TUBE BABIES  (Read 3197 times)

Offline ukmicky

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.space-talk.com/
TEST TUBE BABIES
« on: 10/11/2005 03:25:41 »
I just watch a program on epigenetics which i found very interesting but because of it i now must ask this question

Is IVF safe enough for us to use when the act of  manipulating an egg and just by placing it in a STERILE culture disk can alter the genes of that egg by causing its genetic switches to be unaturally switched on or off, which can cause genetic faults in children that come from them eggs and then can also be passed on to the childrens chidren.

Shouldnt we find a better way to do IVF and should it be allowed if the process can alter the gene's of a child causing conditions like Beckwith-Wiedemann Syndrome

Michael                                      
« Last Edit: 10/11/2005 03:30:34 by ukmicky »

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
Re: TEST TUBE BABIES
« Reply #1 on: 10/11/2005 03:50:33 »
What have you been watching ? one of the Discovery Channels ?..that's a really good point Michael...What do you think ?....

I'm certainly not qualified to academically answer this and it will be interesting to get opinions.

I think...well...IVF IS being used , so I gather for the most part it must be reliable....any defects found I suppose can be ' dealt ' with !

Men are the same as women.... just inside out !!

Offline stinkinstudentlamo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10/11/2005 11:54:51 »
interesting point ukmicky

i agree with neilep in that since IVF is being used (and has been since 1978) it must be 'reasonably' safe.

I think it's all down to the reliability of the procedure. plus the fact that they usually produce about 7 or 8 embryos at a time, they can presumably use the 'strongest one.

I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer.
-- Douglas Adams

Offline ukmicky

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.space-talk.com/
« Reply #3 on: 11/11/2005 00:46:18 »
I believe its only a recent discovery that the ivf process can alter the genes of an egg.

Beckwith-Wiedemann Syndrome for one has been found to increase 2 fold in children born via IVF because of genes being switched off due to the eggs being unnaturally manipulated during the removal, fertilization or implantation processes.

There are laws preventing scientists messing with embryo's, which I believe basically stop them embryo's from developing beyond a few days partly due to fears as to what could happen if a child was allowed to develop full term after its geneís had been messed with. The reason being we donít know what we are doing and have nowhere near enough knowledge on the subject.
Switching off one gene can have more than one effect.

But Isnít IVF doing the same thing, Messing with an embryoís genes,but not in a deliberate way.
What else could be going on that we havenít noticed yet, what other faults could be occurring in children born via IVF?

Could we be storing up problems for future generations when them defects are passed on to future generations and what if they then mix with other naturally occuring genetic defects from other genetic lines?

I maybe wrong.  and iím not saying IVF should be banned but do we known enough about
Our genes and how they work to allow it to continue.

neil, .horizon on  bbc 2:)

Michael                                      
« Last Edit: 11/11/2005 01:39:43 by ukmicky »

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #3 on: 11/11/2005 00:46:18 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums