The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Why don't we use glow in the dark paint for road markings?  (Read 19415 times)

Offline doppler1

• Bazinga
    • View Profile
I know that it could be expensive but with new technology that has been developed, it should not actually be that much more expensive than regular road paint or we could add the powder to the regular paint. New technology claims to be able to glow in the dark for up to 100 hours based on being charged in natural light or artificial light for just a few minutes. Surely this has energy saving applications as well as safety benefits. The same applies to road workers that operate at night. They are usually outfitted with light reflecting safety gear but it is very easy to add the glow in the dark stuff to the equipment and outfits which will definitely improve visibility before the direct light hits the reflectors.....just a thought.

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
Why don't we use glow in the dark paint for road markings?
« Reply #1 on: 02/03/2010 07:06:46 »
These work even better, and they have been around for quite a while.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cat's_eye_(road)

Offline doppler1

• Bazinga
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02/03/2010 11:21:51 »
Hey Geezer, thanks. These are being used here at present but also only work on reflected light but we have plenty of pedestrians getting flattened on the roads because they are roaming around at night. Would it not be a good way of improving visibility in general as well as reducing the requirement for road lighting in some instances?

Offline LeeE

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Spatial
« Reply #3 on: 02/03/2010 13:51:48 »
The amount of light emitted wouldn't be enough to actually illuminate anything, such as a pedestrian walking along a road.  These materials don't only emit light when it's dark but will do so during day time too, while they're absorbing energy, but because the amount of light they emit is so low it's completely swamped by the ambient daylight.  We can only see the light they emit at night time because everything else is so dark and because out eyes adjust to the lower light levels.

Personally, I don't like the idea of the increased light pollution they would cause either, were they to be bright enough to be effective.

Offline skylighter

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 25/03/2010 03:30:41 »
I was searching on the web for some research and tripped over this thread.  I am a technician for Glow Inc and we get this question regularly.  The short answer is cost.  If you look at the prices of quality newbielink:http://"http://glowinc.com/SearchResult.aspx?CategoryID=2" [nonactive], you will see why it is not used for road markings.

While it is true that modern grade 0, strontium aluminate pigments can glow throughout the night on a single charge, they only glow brightly enough for the first 2 hours to have any use on the road.  In addition, they start this discharge when they loose direct sunlight.  Therefore, by the time the sun fully sets, you only get about an hour of usage.

Some will say that car's headlights will recharge the paint.  But the reality is that the car's headlights also put out an ambient light that overpowers the glow.

Not all is lost though, you can put up West facing glow in the dark signs that glow enough to attract attention for a couple of hours after sunset.  There are several billboard's that have proven this usage.

Danny Clark
Glow Inc.

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 25/03/2010 04:36:02 »
Hi Danny!

Thanks for posting. I tried to click on your "glow paint" link, but for some reason, it does not work for me.

Anyway, we know "cat's eyes" work really well, but they are very expensive which is why I'm assuming they are not so popular.

Do you happen to know if anyone is investigating "nano cat's eyes"? This may be complete nonsense, but I'm wondering it this might be a good application for nanotechnology.

The idea would be to develop a "paint" (probably more like glue) that contains a very large number of "nanocatseyes".

(BTW, if I'm right, you cannot patent this idea. I just made it public information.)

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 25/03/2010 05:40:57 »
Do you happen to know if anyone is investigating "nano cat's eyes"?

"Nano cats eye's" sounds like Scotchlite, (no it's not low-alcohol whisky  :) ) ...

Scotchlite is a material made by the 3M company that is made of millions of glass beads (usually titanate glass) affixed to the surface. Each glass bead is covered with a metallic reflective layer on half of its surface (the "back" half) and this, combined with the spherical nature of the glass beads gives the materials their reflective properties.

Scotchlite is designed to take advantage of the retroreflective optical properties of the glass beads, collecting light from a very wide range of angles of incidence and reflecting the collected light back along a single focused line of sight. When viewing the Scotchlite surface across this line of sight, the surface gives the appearance of reflecting far more light than a normal diffuse reflection. It is used for screens utilizing the front projection special effects process, as well as being employed for nighttime high-visibility safety applications on reflective clothing and on the front of many traffic signs.

Scotchlite was invented in 1936 .
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scotchlite

Offline doppler1

• Bazinga
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 29/03/2010 10:08:54 »
Thanks for the input guys, I really think that there is scope here though. Cost is definately a factor. I like the idea of nano cats eyes. Couldn't we do something with nano technology and paint? Speaking of nano technology... how is this technology being developed for solar panels?

Offline techmind

• Un-obfuscated
    • View Profile
    • techmind.org
« Reply #8 on: 17/04/2010 20:46:45 »
I think you'll find the paint used for road markings in the UK is already retroreflective - loaded with glass beads or somesuch ("nano-catseyes"). It's not necessarily as effective as it might be, depending on -I guess- wear and how much dirt there is on it.

Last weekend when I was riding on the 'DNA' cycleway to the south of Cambridge I noticed that when the sun was right behind my head when I was looking at the dashed markings, the markings were very (retroreflective) bright. I *almost* took a photo to show you. Maybe another time.

Offline doppler1

• Bazinga
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 19/04/2010 10:31:35 »
Many thanks Techmind....any pics would be most appreciated if you get a gap of course. This use of the "glow in the dark" paints is also being investigated for areas with low frequency travel and which do not warrant the huge expense of road lighting. I guess that in some instances it makes sense and in others not. But thanks a ton for all the feedback and informative views.

Offline BenV

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 19/04/2010 12:08:13 »
Thanks for the input guys, I really think that there is scope here though. Cost is definately a factor. I like the idea of nano cats eyes. Couldn't we do something with nano technology and paint? Speaking of nano technology... how is this technology being developed for solar panels?
Good question.  Could you post a new thread about it, rather than having it orphaned here?

Offline techmind

• Un-obfuscated
    • View Profile
    • techmind.org
« Reply #11 on: 16/05/2010 00:49:26 »
Sorry for the delay... but as promised
4 photos showing retro-reflective road-paint

Offline techmind

• Un-obfuscated
    • View Profile
    • techmind.org
« Reply #12 on: 16/05/2010 00:57:41 »
3rd image

Offline techmind

• Un-obfuscated
    • View Profile
    • techmind.org
« Reply #13 on: 16/05/2010 00:59:04 »
And the 4th?

Mission accomplished. All photos (C) W.A.Steer / techmind.org

Offline doppler1

• Bazinga
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 27/05/2010 13:57:02 »
Many thanks Techmind, the paint looks really cool.....surely these kinds of paint are also pretty expensive though?? They are great when light is applied to them directly which in theory is more than adequate but here in Africa, there are many cars that are not in a road worrthy condition and therefore some of the crazies even drive at night without lights as they have not bothered to repair them and keep them working. We also have a huge problem with pedestrians..drunk or not wandering onto the roads at night causing most of our fatalities.....maybe the glow in the dark stuff would raise some awareness. Not sure but really do appreciate the pics

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #14 on: 27/05/2010 13:57:02 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums