The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: What affects the speed of a group of snow tubes?  (Read 2346 times)

Offline Jim Duncan

• First timers
    • View Profile
What affects the speed of a group of snow tubes?
« on: 02/03/2010 10:30:02 »
Jim Duncan  asked the Naked Scientists:

Hi,
My name is Jim Duncan and I'm from Richfield, Oho.  I've thought of many questions to ask you in the past but this is the first I've sent in.

Recently, I went with a group of friends on an adventure known as snow tubing.  

Snow tubing consists of sitting in a large tyre inner-tube and hurtling at great speeds down a snow-covered hill.  

We were allowed to connect our tubes and go down the hill in a large group.  

My question is,  would we travel faster (and further) as a group or as individuals?  Also, would it make a difference if we put adults in front and lighter kids at the back (or some other arrangement)?  

I've tried to take into consideration surface area and "pressure melting" but it's beyond me.

I am newbielink:http://www.thenakedscientists.com/HTML/podcasts/ [nonactive] and think that your whole crew is awesome!

Thanks!

Jim Duncan

What do you think?
« Last Edit: 02/03/2010 10:30:02 by _system »

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 02/03/2010 10:58:58 »
Air resistance is a big factor, (it's proportional to the square of the velocity), hence the posture and Lycra suit ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skeleton_bob
« Last Edit: 02/03/2010 11:04:20 by RD »

Offline Karsten

• View Profile
    • Fortunately still only a game
« Reply #2 on: 03/03/2010 21:43:29 »
I believe that if it this situation is similar to riding a tandem bike, you would go faster and further in a group as long as you are going down the hill following each other rather than in a big bunch or as a line across the hill. Rolling tandems are faster than single riders.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #2 on: 03/03/2010 21:43:29 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums