The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Why Is Inuit Breast Milk Toxic ?  (Read 12376 times)

Offline neilep

  • Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • *******
  • Posts: 20602
  • Thanked: 8 times
    • View Profile
Why Is Inuit Breast Milk Toxic ?
« on: 02/03/2010 19:32:49 »
   

Dearest Breastologists,

As a sheepy I of course luff breasts !..oh gawwd !..yes I do ! Breasts are my all time favourite female appendage that comes as a pair. There are just so many options when it comes to discovering the exquisite variations that breast enjoyment affords one.

Breast feeding is probably the first time we get a face full of jelly jubbly joy !

Look, here are two infant inuits enjoying a shake.


Two Infants Enjoying Milky Fun


Thing is, I recently heard that Inuit breast milk is the most toxic out of all the human varieties available. I don't mean it's poisonous but I gather it contains more nasty stuff than other female humans jugs of joy !...why's that then ?..Why Is Inuit Breast Milk So Toxic ?


Hugs et les shmisheys

mwah mwah mwah !!



Neil
Breast Is Best
xxxxxxxxxxxxxx









 

Offline Variola

  • Neilep Level Member
  • ******
  • Posts: 1063
  • Everyone should beware of The Pox...
    • View Profile
Why Is Inuit Breast Milk Toxic ?
« Reply #1 on: 03/03/2010 22:56:23 »
Briefly!

Inuit breast milk isn't usually toxic, well it wasn't destined to be. It has not been reported that inuit women have higher levels of polychlorinated biphenyls or PCB's. Ask BC what they are as I don't have much idea! All I do know is that they are classed as an environmental contaminant, and the levels are building up in the Arctic due to something called long-range atmospheric transport. (?)
These contaminants work their way into the eco system and into fish and Arctic mammals. Inuit diet is naturally higher in these so their body is exposed to more contaminants. They are also exposed to higher levels in their surrounding area, along with the animals they eat.
They also have higher levels of mercury, and other contaminants in their bodies too but ( I think) PCBs come out in breast milk more than others.
 

Offline Karen W.

  • Moderator
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • *****
  • Posts: 31653
  • Thanked: 5 times
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Why Is Inuit Breast Milk Toxic ?
« Reply #2 on: 04/03/2010 06:52:11 »
Wow I had never heard that before...  Ok mBC what are the BCP's?

Nice question Neil and answer Variola..

Thank you both.. learning something new..
 

Offline neilep

  • Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • *******
  • Posts: 20602
  • Thanked: 8 times
    • View Profile
Why Is Inuit Breast Milk Toxic ?
« Reply #3 on: 04/03/2010 17:33:20 »
Briefly!

Inuit breast milk isn't usually toxic, well it wasn't destined to be. It has not been reported that inuit women have higher levels of polychlorinated biphenyls or PCB's. Ask BC what they are as I don't have much idea! All I do know is that they are classed as an environmental contaminant, and the levels are building up in the Arctic due to something called long-range atmospheric transport. (?)
These contaminants work their way into the eco system and into fish and Arctic mammals. Inuit diet is naturally higher in these so their body is exposed to more contaminants. They are also exposed to higher levels in their surrounding area, along with the animals they eat.
They also have higher levels of mercury, and other contaminants in their bodies too but ( I think) PCBs come out in breast milk more than others.

Thanks Ewe Variola.

I appreciate your concise and detailed explanation, I will definitely ask BC (we have a Big Chicken in the freezer so i'll go and quiz it if ewe really think it will help !!  ;))

Does the mercury come from their fishy diet do ewe think ?
 

Offline Variola

  • Neilep Level Member
  • ******
  • Posts: 1063
  • Everyone should beware of The Pox...
    • View Profile
Why Is Inuit Breast Milk Toxic ?
« Reply #4 on: 04/03/2010 20:41:33 »
I know when I was pregnant with my youngest, I was advised not to eat tuna or marlin more than twice a week, and only on small portions because of the possible mercury build up. Eek!  :o
 

Offline Bored chemist

  • Neilep Level Member
  • ******
  • Posts: 8670
  • Thanked: 42 times
    • View Profile
Why Is Inuit Breast Milk Toxic ?
« Reply #5 on: 06/03/2010 10:51:43 »
There are a few different effects here.
These people live in a place that's cold and hasn't much vegetation.
Plenty of chemicals that are used in the world get spilled or otherwise spread about the place. In the case of DDT it is deliberately sprayed.
Some of these materials evaporate and get into the atmosphere.
Diffusion moves them all round the world but, in places like the Polar regions it's so cold they condense out again.The environment in which these people live, therefore, contains elevated levels of some chemicals.

The other effect is that they are top-level predators and eat an essentially entirely carnivorous diet.

They eat seals, the seals eat fish the fish eat krill and the krill eat plankton (very roughly).
The plankton contain traces of chemicals like DDT that they pick up from the environment. When the krill eat them they can't easily get rid of the DDT, so  it gets stored in their fat.
The fish have the same problem when they eat the krill. They take the DDT in but they cant get rid of it. However they can excrete most of the other stuff they eat so a 1 kilo fish will have eaten many kilos of krill to grow to the size it is. Most of that stuff it ate- the fats. proteins ect will have been metabolised away and excreted as ammonia or CO2 or whatever but all the DDT in all that krill will now be in the fish.
So, the fish ends up with  a much higher concentration of DDT than the krill. In the same way, the krill has a higher level of DDT than the plankton. The seals get the same problem- they have to eat lots of fish so they end up containing lots of DDT. By the time the people are eating the seals the levels of DDT can have been concentrated many thousands of times.

DDT is very soluble in fats and it's generally fairly inert in the body- it just sits there.
However when a woman starts producing milk for her baby these fats get used to provide the energy for that milk production and they also get transferred directly to the milk as cream.
Sadly that fat contains more than it's fair share of the mother's DDT.

What I have said about DDT works for a lot of what are called "persistent organic pollutants.
These are chemicals that get into the body and re not easily removed. DDT is probably the best known of them (and I believe that the typical levels of DDT in Americans were high enough that they would not have been passed as fit for human consumption) Other well known examples are the polychlorinatedbiphenyls (called PCBs) and the related poly chlorinated furans and dioxins.
 

The Naked Scientists Forum

Why Is Inuit Breast Milk Toxic ?
« Reply #5 on: 06/03/2010 10:51:43 »

 

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums