The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: "Positive Thinking" and Physics.  (Read 4608 times)

Offline Chris-Chicken

• First timers
    • View Profile
"Positive Thinking" and Physics.
« on: 03/03/2010 15:27:40 »
I like science. My house mate likes esoterics.....

Now - she postulates that:

Feeling sad = feeling heavy.

and

Feeling happy = feeling light.

Therefore,

Happiness results in higher vibrations of thought, and conversely, sadness results in lower vibrations.

My questions...

1. How does science currently understand the mind? Are thoughts are generated by electrical impulses across synapses?

2. Are thought impulses electrical charges, I.e. electromagnetic waves propagating through a medium....?

3.Is there any reason to believe that the content of these thoughts can alter the 'vibration' of these impulses?

4. If you alter the 'vibration' of particles, don't you also alter the nature of the matter that they constitute?

Thanks! [O8)]

Offline graham.d

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 03/03/2010 17:45:03 »
1. How does science currently understand the mind? Are thoughts are generated by electrical impulses across synapses?

I think science only understands certain aspects of the mind. We can tell how synapses work and can model their behaviour but this does not say a lot about how these are all put together in a brain. There is a lot of genetic pre-programming in the brain that preconditions it to how it will develop by learning. This is only vaguely understood. In computing terms it is analagous to knowing how a bit of memory stores data in terms of hardware but then trying to deduce what is in the programme without access to reading it directly.

Thoughts are the complex combinational effects of many synapses causing electrical activity in other synapses. The relationship between the brain activity and what are "thoughts" is only crudely understood.

2. Are thought impulses electrical charges, I.e. electromagnetic waves propagating through a medium....?

It is not really electromagteic waves but movement of charges and chemical changes. It is the complexity of the interactions that leads to what we call thoughts.

3.Is there any reason to believe that the content of these thoughts can alter the 'vibration' of these impulses?

The thoughts we have will affect the future thoughts we have as will the outside observations of our senses. There are no vibrations as such and this is not really much to do with electromagnetic waves at the level we are considering this here.

4. If you alter the 'vibration' of particles, don't you also alter the nature of the matter that they constitute?

I don't know what this means; certainly not in this context. This is getting a bit towards pseudo-science.

Offline graham.d

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 03/03/2010 17:52:29 »
There is some debate about whether the brain can be theoretically "mapped" on to a very big computer. Many scientists believe this to be possible (at least theoretically - we are a hugely long way off trying to do this practically). Others think it is not possible, some for religious reasons but others, including the eminent Prof. Penrose, who think the brain requires elements of quantum computing to work. This is not to say it could not be reproduced but that it can't be done with the computing methods we use today.

Offline Chris-Chicken

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 04/03/2010 06:44:33 »
Thanks for the replies. :D

So - my understanding of matter, is that different substances, take for example Hydrogen and Argon, are different because they have different compositions. Now, this is where it gets hazy... The differing compositions are related to the number of electrons.... and I'm sure that these electrons are supposed to be vibrating at certain frequencies....erm... I'm back in secondary school....and we're looking at the periodic table, and a solar-system model of atoms; electrons, protons.......

Hmmmf. reading the above, I can accept that I really have no idea!

Should I rephrase?

What the hell is 'matter'? Why is gold different from silver?

Offline graham.d

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 04/03/2010 08:45:44 »
The chemical properties (as structured in the the periodic table) are related to the number of protons in the nucleus which, in turn, defines the number of electrons (to remain electrically neutral) organised in "shells" around the nucleus. The picture is, as you suggest, simplified. If you break down the protons, neutrons, electrons further, you can explain aspects of their nature in terms of vibration modes in "strings" (for example). This is at a very different level, and says very little, about operation of the brain. Knowing how a transistor works does not tell you how a computer works (at least it would not contribute much) - it is all in how the transistors are put together.

Offline Chris-Chicken

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 19/03/2010 05:27:45 »
Would anyone be able to try explaining the 'heavy' nature of negative feelings?

Certainly, there is a 'heavy' feeling around the chest.... I've always assumed that these feeling were caused by the chemicals produced in the Hypothalamus, which are in turn are produced by certain cascades of cell impulses... but I'm really not that sure.

Any theories?
:)

Offline addrumam

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 23/03/2010 17:45:25 »
hello, if there is anyone still on this thread. i am new to the site, so will tred with care.

i was interested in the initial title 'positive science', and feel there were certain distracting tangents to what initially was queried. The unity of esoterics and physics, perhaps? of course, we all know that quantum research is speculating a bridge between sacred spiritual sciences and the otherwise hardwired conditioning of 'physical' science.

i would simply like to put forward for discussion the holographic idea in relation to epigenetics, brain waves, and ultimately 'positive science'.

indeed, in brief the holographic model shows us that all infinite information occurs in each cell of the universe, as it were. With relation to epigenetics, it has been discovered that there is infact no preprogrammed sequence in cell DNA, as thought, but infact environmental conditions manipulate what information (of all the infinite information) actually manifests itself into physical form through each cell.

Onto brain waves, there is much in Vedic scripture and modern neurosciences institutes that have found that when meditating thought in certain ways, a manipulation of alpha, beta, gamma, theta and delta waves can occur. these, when tested using brainscans, create wave patterns harmonious to the geometric proportions of sound (though here we must not use sound and instead use 'vibration'). - please see yah's geometric proportion of musical scales.

What this is trying to lead to is the manipulation we have over our cells - the individual componants of a human body are all connected and the brain has the ability for self regulation, healing, and so on. The brain waves as a result of modern social and egoic consciousness however is of course very disruptive to this, not to mention the stigma against lateral science that people find hard to accept (because it means they are in control of themselves and wonder why it is then that they get sick), and because of all the new-age spiritual gang bangs of western psyche looking for a quick fix of eastern philosophy.

vibration produces pattern. we see it in Cymatics experiments, and we feel it on a more intangible emotional level. so positive science is in effect a reality - if a keen and humble apporach to thought is taken heed of, and a positive vibration is perpetually released from the brain and centres of the body, there is a rippling effect outward into the environment. in turn, the environment (anything external to the cells) effects cell growth, and what decoding in the cells will occur. And so our perceptions, our probability matrix, our temperaments and so on, all play a part in determining how the cells will work and react.

if we are positive, not as a quest, but as a deep-rooted, hardwired state of being, then such documented 'miracles' (i hate that word) will occur, such as disappearing cancer cells.

let me finish however by stressing that a 100% positive outlook is somewhat flawed under the binary philosophies of science - and in this i mean careful balance between positive and negative energy must be noted.

Offline JP

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 24/03/2010 06:05:43 »
Hi Addrumam,

Welcome to the forum.  It sounds like what you're describing is mostly pseudoscience or at the least is a case of making grandiose claims based off of very little science.  The proper place on the forum to post speculation or new theories is in the New Theories section: http://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?board=18.0

Thank you,
JP (moderator)

Offline addrumam

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 12/04/2010 13:03:24 »
okay, cheers for that.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #8 on: 12/04/2010 13:03:24 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines