The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: how should i time my eggs  (Read 24708 times)

Offline yor_on

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • (Ah, yes:) *a table is always good to hide under*
    • View Profile
how should i time my eggs
« Reply #100 on: 28/03/2010 04:32:55 »
"Why did you have to say it so loud" he screamed?

*Running as he* *

Offline gem

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: 28/03/2010 18:55:06 »
Not bad Gem, there is another guy that recently described gravity as a product of entropy too,

Gravity is certainly not a product of entropy, it may contribute to some of the process that occur in the increase of entropy in some of the transformations of energy.

yet still with the overall effect being an increased entropy. If I lifted that up to the concept of times arrow, it then seems to state that if entropy and times arrow is the same, we c/should have areas where time 'ticked backwards'?

I believe that the laws of entropy and thermo dynamics say the total opposite that in these energy interactions and transformations you can not reverse every aspect of the dynamics of their interactions.

Put in a simple form its stating there is energy in its many forms, and its interactions and transformations that we observe as cause and effect and these are the process that we apply times arrow to. below is a statement from the supplied link

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Entropy
Entropy is the only quantity in the physical sciences that seems to imply a particular direction for time, sometimes called an arrow of time. As we go "forward" in time, the second law of thermodynamics states that the entropy of an isolated system tends to increase or remain the same; it will not decrease. Hence, from one perspective, entropy measurement is thought of as a kind of clock.

and this is i believe is what time is, the clocks we use to measure these interactions are just that 'measuring devices' to help us put some values to what we observe in reality.

Offline yor_on

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • (Ah, yes:) *a table is always good to hide under*
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: 29/03/2010 04:39:31 »
Nope, or yes :)
Sorry if I got the wrong impression there, it was just that your writing reminded me of another guy, quite serious and interesting. But it's an misunderstanding, as I understands it, that entropy can't have patches where the entropy locally decreases as long as the overall effect is an increase. I know I wrote about that somewhere here before?

Ah, found it Entropy and Entropy too :)

As for that guy i was talking about. And I really need to try to read him, I'm lazy when it comes to sit down and really read it all through but he's quite heavy, as well as interesting TNS

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #102 on: 29/03/2010 04:39:31 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums