The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Does modern medicine work against evolution?  (Read 5780 times)

Offline Jessica H

• View Profile
    • Growing Southern
Does modern medicine work against evolution?
« on: 09/03/2010 01:53:11 »
With more couples seeking help for infertility, are genetic factors relating to infertility going to increase in the gene pool, causing more infertility issues for couples in the future?

As the C-section becomes more safe, will "big head" genes will stay in the gene pool, so more women will need C-sections in the future?

There are probably other examples, too, that I'm not thinking of.

Offline Madidus_Scientia

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 09/03/2010 05:50:39 »
Although on an evolutionary scale modern medicine has not been around long, yes I agree.

But it's not really right to say that it works against evolution, evolution is working just as it always has, we are adapting to our environment, just that our environment contains hospitals and doctors now (for the luckier specimens of our species anyway).

Offline stereologist

• View Profile
    • Stereothena
« Reply #2 on: 09/03/2010 19:57:11 »
Modern medicine does not work against evolution. Evolution is simply change. What is being altered is the mechanism of change.

Offline grizelda

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 07/04/2010 10:20:22 »
Females are empowered by nature to select mates who have different immune systems. They pass on the benefit of two immune systems to their offspring. This is how nature advances our immune systems to counter the advances the pathogens are making to defeat it. Females do not make the same selection when they are pregnant or on the pill (which mimics pregnancy to the body). Over time, this behavior would lead to a weakened immune system for our species. Nature discourages this behavior by making a small percentage of the offspring of these matings effectively sterile, i.e. homosexual. Of course, religions also interfere with female's choices by exerting a veto over selection of mates who do not support the administration. This is eugenics. The result of this is that most religions go extinct, though religious wars usually hurry them along. The upshot of this is to point out that evolution can defend itself from most insults, over time.

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 08/04/2010 09:43:06 »
You say
"Nature discourages this behavior by making a small percentage of the offspring of these matings effectively sterile, i.e. homosexual."

Any evidence that inbreeding is correlated with (never mind causes) homosexuality, or is  it just blind prejudice on your part?

Offline grizelda

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 08/04/2010 22:36:37 »
A simple survey to see whether, for example, lesbians mothers were on the pill when they became involved with their fathers would easily correlate any causal mechanism. I doubt if the pharmaceutical corporations will be funding any such research in the near future. Do you want me to do it?

Offline norcalclimber

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 15/04/2010 17:58:18 »
You say
"Nature discourages this behavior by making a small percentage of the offspring of these matings effectively sterile, i.e. homosexual."

Any evidence that inbreeding is correlated with (never mind causes) homosexuality, or is  it just blind prejudice on your part?

I'm not sure of the intent of the original poster, but the comment brought to mind an interesting question.  First off I would like to clarify that I am in no way prejudiced against homosexuality and I intend this as a purely scientific inquiry.  That said:

Could homosexuality be programmed genetically(or epigenetically) as an expression of reproductive genes in order to combat overpopulation by a species?  I don't just refer to humans, as I know there are many animals which mate homosexually and sometimes for life(rhinos are one I think).

Offline SeanB

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 15/04/2010 18:53:26 »
Of course modern medicine is working with evolution. Bacteria that are resistant to antibiotics are selected for in people who do not complete courses of antibiotics, leading to resistant strains. TB is one of those being actively selected for, as there are now variants that are drug resistant ( as most patients stop taking the drugs when the initial effects clear because the drugs cause nausea and general malaise) and a developing strain that is MDR - multi drug resistant, and which is almost totally unaffected by the most common TB drugs, only showing a poor response to a cocktail of drugs given at high dose. TB is thus being evolved into a killer, instead of being just a parasite that slowly kills the host, allowing the disease to spread, it now kills the host very fast.

There is not much TB drug development, the payback to develop is poor, and there would be little profit in drugs where humanatarian concerns would drive the quick development of low cost supplies.

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 16/04/2010 05:35:12 »
Of course modern medicine is working with evolution. Bacteria that are resistant to antibiotics are selected for in people who do not complete courses of antibiotics, leading to resistant strains. TB is one of those being actively selected for, as there are now variants that are drug resistant ( as most patients stop taking the drugs when the initial effects clear because the drugs cause nausea and general malaise) and a developing strain that is MDR - multi drug resistant, and which is almost totally unaffected by the most common TB drugs, only showing a poor response to a cocktail of drugs given at high dose. TB is thus being evolved into a killer, instead of being just a parasite that slowly kills the host, allowing the disease to spread, it now kills the host very fast.

There is not much TB drug development, the payback to develop is poor, and there would be little profit in drugs where humanatarian concerns would drive the quick development of low cost supplies.

Erm, how does that prove that modern medicine is working with evolution? It seems to me that evolution is doing a number on modern medicine.

Offline echochartruse

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 20/04/2010 00:44:39 »
Our local hospitals are asking couples to elect to do cesarean births for whatever and every reason so it seems in this location.
Even the pet dog I have comes from a long line of cesarean births, unable to birth naturally for at least 5 generations.
Yes i think if we continue to elect cesarean births without attempting natural birthing, over generations we may not be able to accomplish natural birth due to the hidden gene within our epigenetic layer being firmly established, until such time it is re established, if at all.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #9 on: 20/04/2010 00:44:39 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums