The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: What Would Life Be Like On A Planet Orbiting A Red Dwarf Star?  (Read 3176 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile

As a sheepy, I of course luff orbiting our sun on our planet. Every day I awake with a smile knowing that my orbit of the sun will continue.  However, ewe may not know that the majority of the stars out there are in fact Red Dwarfs and not yellow ones like ours   :o. These are stars that are far cooler than our sun and much smaller too.

look here's one :

A Red Dwarf being a Red Dwarf Yesterday

Nice eh ?..being delivered next Tuesday as a nice subtle garden light

What kinds of life would exist on a life bearing planet that orbits a Red Dwarf ?

Any ideas ?..speculations ?..wild guesses ?..educated guestimations ?

Ewe see, I don't know....but I'd like to know....and I'd also like to know why the life forms will be the way they are  ?!

Please help me know and derive strength from the sharing !

Hugs & shmishes

mwah mwah

neil
Red Dwarf Life Investigator
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Offline syhprum

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Presumably due to the reduced energy radiated by the smaller star we would have to be closer to be in the 'Goldilocks' zone hence our year would be shorter but I can think of little that would be much different.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
Presumably due to the reduced energy radiated by the smaller star we would have to be closer to be in the 'Goldilocks' zone hence our year would be shorter but I can think of little that would be much different.

Thank ewe Syhprum for your kind comment.

I was wondering if the ' light' itself..being redder would have an evolutionary effect, and I gather the sun would fill out most of the sky too.  Also, now that I'm thinking (shock horror  :o :o), the years would be a lot shorter too.

Offline LeeE

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Spatial
Thought so, but just checked to make sure: Red Dwarf stars radiate hardly any UV, and most of their emission is in the IR.

Have a look at the wiki section below for some other issues with habitable planets around Red Dwarfs:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_dwarf#Habitability

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums