The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: How long does 'C' take?  (Read 13416 times)

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
How long does 'C' take?
« Reply #50 on: 24/03/2010 00:36:27 »
Geezer, your ideas about defining length belong in another ATM style thread, not this one.

What do you mean by "length"?

What do you mean by "ATM Style"?

Stylish ATM machines? Asynchronous Transfer Mode? (although I don't think it's too stylish these days.)

Offline fontwell

• View Profile
How long does 'C' take?
« Reply #51 on: 24/03/2010 06:40:22 »
Your posts to
What do you mean by "length"?

What do you mean by "ATM Style"?

Your posts to Farsight in this thread about how to define local time/distance. ATM = Against The Mainstream.

Although, apparently according to mods "Telling people where things belong is a moderator function" , not my function.

What with this and another mod message, I'm outta here.

Bye bye everybody.

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
How long does 'C' take?
« Reply #52 on: 24/03/2010 07:13:24 »
Yikes! Please watch the door doesn't slam your ass on the way out.

BTW - ATM refers to Anything but The Mainstream.
« Last Edit: 24/03/2010 07:17:56 by Geezer »

Offline yor_on

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • (Ah, yes:) *a table is always good to hide under*
    • View Profile
How long does 'C' take?
« Reply #53 on: 24/03/2010 18:57:42 »
Seems I missed something here?
What was it??

As for the the way you see it Mr Fontwell, I do see it.
But to me it doesn't explain the seamlessness. And I'm naturally inquisitive I'm afraid, never stops wondering, and I'm stubborn to a bone I admit. Don't worry though, it's just my nature to have that low imaginative threshold.

It always make me see to many positions to present an idea from. Not always the best thing, makes it hard to trust my own ideas too at times, And then I will argue. But I'm always learning, as we all are here, until I realize why my idea won't work. So me arguing from my position doesn't mean I can't see yours.
But I need to see where I go wrong to know why.
And .

And you're welcome back any time you like, we're not really that bad.
We're not actually, maybe a smite argumentative, some of us.
(Yep, that should be me.)

And we care about all that are here, no matter their level of physics.
I've been on sites where the decision was made that if you couldn't do the math you shouldn't open your mouth. No, they didn't throw me out, crazy as it was? :)
I threw myself out instead ::))

So when the mods react, it's because they are good mods, and try to set a good mode for all here. It's not 'personal', and it have nothing to do with your level of knowledge. We being here are quite cool with each other hopefully, just want all to feel that they have something to contribute with, as they do have, no matter where they are in their physics levels:)

Even stubborn, blind, ah, ** like me ::)) And I will study your loedel-diagram and try to wrap my mind around it, it was a lovely presentation Mr Fontwell. And risking repeating myself, you're welcome back. We all are I hope, the mods are actually the best mods I've seen anywhere.

« Last Edit: 24/03/2010 18:59:18 by yor_on »

Offline yor_on

• View Profile
How long does 'C' take?
« Reply #54 on: 24/03/2010 19:37:35 »
You wrote "BTW, as you know, these 'fixed' stars are mainly rushing away from you in all directions (well, those in other galaxies)."
==

I quite agree Mr Fontwell. The reason I used it in my example was that it is a proposition from serious physicists (I hope?:)  LSU professor resolves Einstein's twin paradox. 2007 As for my position on this thread :) Well, I'm learning, nothing more. And I kind'a love that, as I think you might too? And I still think my arguments were good ones?
« Last Edit: 24/03/2010 19:39:06 by yor_on »

Offline yor_on

• View Profile
How long does 'C' take?
« Reply #55 on: 08/04/2010 08:44:15 »
There's another thing confusing me too. I assume that when going near lights speed we will see the universe as 'contracted' any which way we look? Am I right there, that those 'distances' measured will, relative us traveling, shrink equivalently in all directions?

But light will behave differently depending on its vector relative us, won't it? The light 'catching up' to us will be redshifted and the infalling light meeting us as we travel towards it, will be blueshifted. Am I correct there?

So, although I could, if I now f.ex assumed that I was traveling at a constant one G uniformly, and therefore assume that it was equivalent to being on a planet, still observe a unequal distribution of energy, relative my frame of reference?

I know, that's peeking, but it still makes me wonder :)

The Naked Scientists Forum

How long does 'C' take?
« Reply #55 on: 08/04/2010 08:44:15 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums