The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Is the water In This Steel Bottle Safe To Drink After Ten Days ?  (Read 3259 times)

Offline neilep

  • Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • *******
  • Posts: 20602
  • Thanked: 8 times
    • View Profile
Dearest waterbottloeologists,

As a sheepy I am of course ewesed to going 'walkabout' with my Ozzie chums....there's nothing I like more when waking up than to realise that I'll be 'walkabouting' for a few days...

look, here's my steel water bottle....



My Nice Colourful Steel Water Bottle Just Moments Ago


Nice eh ?..I bought it last Tuesday.


Now then, the water that is inside has been there for ten days...

Is it still safe to drink ?.....as a firm believer of not wasting water I want to do my bit for conserving this precious liquid....will it be ok for me to drink ?..no tummy probs ?


Thanks for your water orientated assistance in this matter


hugs & shmishes


mwah mwah mwah




Neil
Jenny Agutter..phwoar !
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx


 

Offline RD

  • Neilep Level Member
  • ******
  • Posts: 8126
  • Thanked: 53 times
    • View Profile
If someone had a sip from the bottle they could have inoculated it with bacteria from their mouth which have then been multiplying in the bottle for the past ten days ...

http://www.textbookofbacteriology.net/normalflora.html
« Last Edit: 12/03/2010 16:50:15 by RD »
 

Offline Madidus_Scientia

  • Neilep Level Member
  • ******
  • Posts: 1451
    • View Profile
They'd need a food source though wouldn't they?
 

Offline neilep

  • Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • *******
  • Posts: 20602
  • Thanked: 8 times
    • View Profile
As Peter Kay has remarked: Why does mineral water that ‘has trickled through mountains for centuries’ have a ‘use by’ date?

Thanks DiscoverDave...yes..yes..Peter Kay did say that....I guess my water must be Ok then..YAYYYYYYYY !!
 

Offline neilep

  • Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • *******
  • Posts: 20602
  • Thanked: 8 times
    • View Profile
If someone had a sip from the bottle they could have inoculated it with bacteria from their mouth which have then been multiplying in the bottle for the past ten days ...

http://www.textbookofbacteriology.net/normalflora.html

Thanks RD......hmmmmmmmm...*sheepy ponders*..the only person to have slurped from it is me !!...d'ya think I still need to be careful ?



ps: I bet ewe checked for metadata didn't ya....! :)
 

Offline neilep

  • Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • *******
  • Posts: 20602
  • Thanked: 8 times
    • View Profile
They'd need a food source though wouldn't they?

Thanks Madidus Scientia

well I do bite my nails too !.. :)
 

Offline RD

  • Neilep Level Member
  • ******
  • Posts: 8126
  • Thanked: 53 times
    • View Profile
...the only person to have slurped from it is me !!...d'ya think I still need to be careful ?

Even if you're growing your own bacteria if they have something to feed on, say sugary drink, then their number could get to pathogenic proportions.
« Last Edit: 12/03/2010 17:30:29 by RD »
 

Offline Variola

  • Neilep Level Member
  • ******
  • Posts: 1063
  • Everyone should beware of The Pox...
    • View Profile
...the only person to have slurped from it is me !!...d'ya think I still need to be careful ?

Even if you're growing your own bacteria if they have something to feed on, say sugary drink, then their number could get to pathogenic proportions.


Only if they were the type of bacteria that become pathogenic! Most oral bacteria are quite happy not being pathogenic, and require certain growth medium and conditions to flourish. Some require particular sugars, to grow or perform different actions, like make biofilm. Oral bacteria also show some endosymbiosis with other species in the mouth. the levels and actions of one bacteria affect the population of another.

Then additionally they have to survive the journey through the stomach, the pH of which is enough to kill most bacteria (luckily for us) as they are unable to adjust to the acidic conditions.
 

Offline wolfekeeper

  • Neilep Level Member
  • ******
  • Posts: 1092
  • Thanked: 11 times
    • View Profile
You'll be fine! I mean... water born diseases never killed anyone!

Oh... wait....! They killed millions!
 

Offline RD

  • Neilep Level Member
  • ******
  • Posts: 8126
  • Thanked: 53 times
    • View Profile
 

Offline Variola

  • Neilep Level Member
  • ******
  • Posts: 1063
  • Everyone should beware of The Pox...
    • View Profile
Potential pathogen does not equate to will be pathogenic. Changes have to happen before bacteria changes to pathogenic, and population is not the exclusive switch.
I assume that is your point?

Did you not read what else I wrote about bacteria??





 

Offline neilep

  • Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • *******
  • Posts: 20602
  • Thanked: 8 times
    • View Profile
...the only person to have slurped from it is me !!...d'ya think I still need to be careful ?

Even if you're growing your own bacteria if they have something to feed on, say sugary drink, then their number could get to pathogenic proportions.


Only if they were the type of bacteria that become pathogenic! Most oral bacteria are quite happy not being pathogenic, and require certain growth medium and conditions to flourish. Some require particular sugars, to grow or perform different actions, like make biofilm. Oral bacteria also show some endosymbiosis with other species in the mouth. the levels and actions of one bacteria affect the population of another.

Then additionally they have to survive the journey through the stomach, the pH of which is enough to kill most bacteria (luckily for us) as they are unable to adjust to the acidic conditions.



Thank ewe Variola for your very informative post.  I guess it looks as if I'm pretty safe. I suppose it might be prudent to wash the bit that goes in my gob.  ;)
 

Offline neilep

  • Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • *******
  • Posts: 20602
  • Thanked: 8 times
    • View Profile
You'll be fine! I mean... water born diseases never killed anyone!

Oh... wait....! They killed millions!


Thanks wolfekeeper


Phew ! *le relief*...fortunately I am not filling my bottle from the nearest tropical mosquito infested swamp !  ;)
 

The Naked Scientists Forum


 

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums