The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: science and love  (Read 7446 times)

Offline thayo

• View Profile
science and love
« on: 17/11/2005 23:45:15 »
Love and Science, any basis for their relationship i have a conviction that no matter strong love could seem, it dares not alter my strength to unravel the scientific mysteries.[8D]

lets keep trying the untried since the birth of science innovations have been like  toy but their impacts have rocked the world
« Last Edit: 18/11/2005 00:22:19 by thayo »

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
Re: science and love
« Reply #1 on: 18/11/2005 00:38:20 »
I think LOVE goes beyond SCIENCE......you can pick at the mechanics of love, you can try and rationalise it with clever debate and rhetoric...but LOVE....well....it's a madness !!, it's a step out of reality !!....and yet it's also clarity and precision, sublime and ethereal......but it's irrational....intolerable for those around the ' lovee '.....I hope science never finds the answer for it.....don't want to know...don't think an answer will ever come....

Men are the same as women.... just inside out !!

Offline Ian33

• View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/alex_bleeze
« Reply #2 on: 18/11/2005 00:45:58 »
Men are the same as women.... just inside out !! what is the scienific basis for that statement ?

Hello Sailor

Offline Malus32

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 18/11/2005 00:46:58 »

Love and Science are two totally different concepts. Love is both an
emotion and expression.

If you try to decieve, do it well...

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 18/11/2005 03:14:37 »
quote:
Originally posted by Ian33

Men are the same as women.... just inside out !! what is the scienific basis for that statement ?

Hello Sailor

None whatsoever ! it's just my signature that's all !...

....' Hello Sailor ' ?......what's that all about  ?

Offline Ian33

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 18/11/2005 13:06:04 »
Hello Sailor is Dick Emery's catch phrase, and I like Dick Emery.

Well, your signature makes no sense at all, women are not the same as men at all. You have studied biology ?

Ian

Hello Sailor

Offline Solvay_1927

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 18/11/2005 17:22:14 »
"Men are the same as women.... just inside out!!"  Well, you've got to admit, women are a bit mixed up, aren't they.:D

Ian - what does the "33" signify?  (Is it the number of Dick Emery fans in the UK, by any chance?[:p])

When it comes to love, I'm with Neil.

(No, no, I don't mean like that! I mean I agree with his reply above.)

FOOTBALLERS’ QUOTES #5 :  'I definitely want Brooklyn to be christened, but I don't know into what religion yet.' - David Beckham

Offline Ian33

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 18/11/2005 21:30:09 »
The 33 is completely random. Not sure about the number of Dick Emery fans, but it's typical brithish innuendo :) humour.

Cheers

Hello Sailor

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 18/11/2005 21:39:44 »
quote:

Hello Sailor is Dick Emery's catch phrase, and I like Dick Emery.

Well, your signature makes no sense at all, women are not the same as men at all. You have studied biology ?

Ian

Hello Sailor

Ooooh you are awful...but I like you !!....

Look, girlies have bits going in where we have bits coming out, they have bits coming out of their chest where we for the most part don't...My sig, is just a silly phrase I made up, there's no basis for it in any 'ology '...it doesn't have to be...it's just my sig that's all...:)

Offline Malus32

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 18/11/2005 21:59:27 »

Whilst Males are "pulled out", women are "tucked inside", so to speak..:)

If you try to decieve, do it well...

Offline Ian33

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 18/11/2005 22:24:38 »
I think I know thw basics where girls are concerned; it's just your statement is nonsensical. I don't follow your reasoning, signature or not.

Hello Sailor

Offline Ian33

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 18/11/2005 22:31:38 »
And love, is a trick of nature to ensure reproduction, that a pair will bond, at least hopefull long enough to raise the offspring to maturity, and since human offspring take a long time to achieve this, pair bonding is vital. Love is all chemistry and biological necessity.

Hello Sailor

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 18/11/2005 22:42:58 »
quote:

I think I know thw basics where girls are concerned; it's just your statement is nonsensical. I don't follow your reasoning, signature or not.

Hello Sailor

What reasoning ?...I'm not going to get drawn into a debate regarding a few words at the end of my posts...you really must have an issue about it eh ?.....just because it's a signature it's not compulsory that it has to be a deep meaningful profound declaration of academia....

...besides, you've just got to love the balloons !

« Last Edit: 19/11/2005 03:56:25 by neilep »

another_someone

« Reply #13 on: 19/11/2005 07:03:03 »
quote:

And love, is a trick of nature to ensure reproduction, that a pair will bond, at least hopefull long enough to raise the offspring to maturity, and since human offspring take a long time to achieve this, pair bonding is vital. Love is all chemistry and biological necessity.

There are many different human models of family life – and in many cultures, it is even considered that love is not the best way of creating a viable family.  It might even be argued that it is our reliance solely upon love as the cement of marriage that leads to the high divorce rates we have.

The other issue is that [allegedly] love, of one form or another, is involved in many relationships, a great number of these have no sexual aspect to them.

Offline Ian33

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 20/11/2005 18:30:36 »
Depends on your definition of ' love' and since this a variable, it has been used to describe the strong attraction betwixt a man and woman who then go on to raise children. For some emotional bond has to keep them together ( if possible), it is not nature's intention that pairs should separate and a child finds itself bereft of a parent.

Ian

Hello Sailor

another_someone

« Reply #15 on: 20/11/2005 19:26:13 »
quote:

Depends on your definition of ' love' and since this a variable, it has been used to describe the strong attraction betwixt a man and woman who then go on to raise children. For some emotional bond has to keep them together ( if possible), it is not nature's intention that pairs should separate and a child finds itself bereft of a parent.

Ian

Hello Sailor

So you would not regard the relationship betwixt mother and child as being mediated by love, nor that betwixt grandparent and grandchild?

It is even dubious if everyone would equate sexual attraction with love, but it is clear that you think the two synonymous.

Nonetheless, across the range of cultures, historic and modern, marriage for love is a minority, and the more common tendency is to take a more pragmatic view of marriage.  Even within the European tradition, it has been only really common within the last 150 or so years.  In many traditional communities (Indian communities, some orthodox Jewish communities, etc.) arranged marriages are still the more common.  It may well be said that in many, possibly most, arranged marriages, a bond of love develops as a consequence of the marriage, but it is not the cause of the marriage, and I would guess the nature of that love will be less passionate than in a romantic marriage.

Nature certainly has designed the maternal instinct to ensure that mother and child stay together for some time, but it is far more flexible with regard to the father child relationship, in fact, more than a few marriages have broken up because of the jealousy between father and child over the affections of the mother.  That the father remain with the family is really only a necessity of patriarchal societies, where the child inherits from the father, and the father may have authority over the child.  In a matriarchal society, the role of the father is a lot less well defined.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 20/11/2005 19:59:00 »
I was present at the birth of all my children.....It was at these moments that I discovered that ' love at first sight' does indeed exist. It is ' for me' the strongest declaration of the emotion love that I personally subscribe too..it is unconditional and warrants nothing but pure emotion.

Of course, lets not forget it's just not maternal love but paternal love too...though I can see why in the animal kingdom nature seems (for the majority) to link the bond between mother and offspring

A love, but a different kind of love' of equal strength can be forged between husband and wife, partners etc etc...and to my knowledge does NOT depend on sexual attraction at all.

I believe that love can be chemical and biological in that the emotion of love has an effect on your chemistry and biology, but I don't believe it's natures way of imbibing the population with further procreation...

...there are people who love each other and choose not to have children.

I agree with another_someone

Offline Ian33

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 22/11/2005 19:22:05 »
Not all feelings commonly described as love are love, unless love has multi-variable meaning in particular circumstances. In my opinion, there is no single definition of love.

I Luv 2 Dance

Offline Ylide

• View Profile
    • http://clem.mscd.edu/~mogavero
« Reply #18 on: 24/11/2005 12:53:42 »
What's that old saying...

"Love is chemistry, sex is physics"

This message brought to you by The Council of People Who Are Sick of Seeing More People

Offline Ian33

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 24/11/2005 15:57:48 »
I like that, very neat summation, although one has to say that sex is also dependent on the correct chemicals being released in the brain. And since all sensation is perecieved in the brain, it's all a matter of chemical intereactions. Stimuli lol

Not a boy called Sue

Offline tsikot

• First timers
    • View Profile
    • Brand new and used cars for sale in Philippines | Tsikot
« Reply #20 on: 08/06/2016 05:05:01 »
Love is Love....

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #20 on: 08/06/2016 05:05:01 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines