The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Sleeping at the speed of dreams  (Read 5110 times)

Offline A Big Mug

• View Profile
Sleeping at the speed of dreams
« on: 19/11/2005 12:47:37 »
I have noticed sometimes the at the moment my wife falls asleep she will jump.  This jump will cause her to wake up.  When I asked her what happened she will relate some story.  For example, she will tell me that she dreamt that she had just been shopping with her sister and they had just come out of a store.  Carrying a load of packages blocked her vision and she stepped off the curb unexpectly causing her to stumble.  Mind you, this whole dream in my time took about 1 second.  She experienced a 5 minute long shopping and walking event.   Ok?   My question is this,  when my wife talks in her sleep she does not talk fast.  Why do dreams seem to run at such a fast pace while talking in your sleep runs at normal speed?  Is the brain thing behind dreams different than the brain thing behind talking in your sleep?

Thanks much for taking time to read this.  I was not sure which forum to put this in so sorry if it's in the wrong spot.

Dave

Offline DoctorBeaver

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • A stitch in time would have confused Einstein.
    • View Profile
Re: Sleeping at the speed of dreams
« Reply #1 on: 19/11/2005 13:44:36 »
Interesting point. I'll have a think about it (or maybe cheat & check out some sleep research sites! LOL)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 19/11/2005 14:25:36 »
Unfortunately the dream world follows it's own set of rules which are not goverened by our 'time ' in the real world.

I can easily believe that one second of sleep can equate to 5 minutes of dream relatively, though as far as I'm aware I have never experienced a dream where it feels like one second or one minute is happily plodding into the back of another in a civil ordered way...in the space of one second I can imagine( in the dreamy world) it's possible to jump not just 5 minutes, but 5 hours, days, weeks , months etc and for the dreamer to fill in the gaps when awoken.

Now then, when wifey talks in her sleep she is experiencing a diffrent type of sleep to her usual dream state and if I recall, when she awakes she will not remember the things she was talking about...you should record it for her but the short answer is YES, the brain thing is different in dreamy world than in talky-in-sleepy world....

This whole dream thing is still a mystery, there's lots of info about it but it's just one of things that is still speculative in explanation......

Men are the same as women.... just inside out !!

Offline DoctorBeaver

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 19/11/2005 19:48:36 »
There was a PhD student on here a while ago asking about sleep paralysis experiences (that's what she was researching). Neil may well remember the thread I'm referring to. I've sent her an email to see if she can shed some light on this question.

Offline DoctorBeaver

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 19/11/2005 20:03:34 »
I've had a little think about it & come up with this theory. The brain can multi-task, but were we to multi-task in our speech centre it could cause horrendous problems as we can only speak 1 word at a time. It makes sense to me that the parts of the brain that enable us to speak must work the same way. I think, therefore, that the speech centre of the brain must work in series not parallel. If dreams are occuring in parallel-processing parts of the brain then the percieved time could well be compressed; but if we have a dream in which we actually talk, that is handled by a part of the brain that can't multi-task so therefore happens in real time.
That we can only mentally series-process words is easily demonstrable. Just look at 2 words on this page, or think of 2 totally random words, & try to visualise yourself saying them simultaneously. I certainly can't do it. I can imagine 2 sounds at once, 2 smells at once, 2 totally different visual images at the same time - but not speaking 2 words simultaneously.
Does this make sense to anyone who doesn't have my warped way of thinking? [:p]

Offline DoctorBeaver

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 21/11/2005 13:05:26 »
Hi Eth,
>
> Thanks for your email.
Reply from Julia

>
> I'm sure I read recently that recent research
> indicates that although it
> seems that we dream very quickly apparently there is
> evidence to suggest
> that we actually dream in real-time (and therefore
> sleep-talk and
> sleep-walk in real time). Unfortunately I can't
> remember the reference but
> when I come across it again I'll be sure to email
> you the details.
>

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 21/11/2005 13:53:58 »
quote:
Originally posted by DoctorBeaver

Hi Eth,
>
> Thanks for your email.
Reply from Julia

>
> I'm sure I read recently that recent research
> indicates that although it
> seems that we dream very quickly apparently there is
> evidence to suggest
> that we actually dream in real-time (and therefore
> sleep-talk and
> sleep-walk in real time). Unfortunately I can't
> remember the reference but
> when I come across it again I'll be sure to email
> you the details.
>

...hmmm...' A Big Mugs ' report seems to suggest and provide evidence to contradict this....perhaps both are true !

Men are the same as women.... just inside out !!

Offline DoctorBeaver

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 21/11/2005 14:11:56 »
quote:
..hmmm...' A Big Mugs ' report seems to suggest and provide evidence to contradict this....perhaps both are true !

Neil - I sent Julia a subsequent email stating exactly that point

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #7 on: 21/11/2005 14:11:56 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length