The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Permeability of skin  (Read 2920 times)

Offline DoctorBeaver

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • A stitch in time would have confused Einstein.
    • View Profile
Permeability of skin
« on: 21/11/2005 13:21:21 »
When we perspire, water permeates our skin from inside to outside. What is it that prevents the permeation of liquids in the opposite direction?

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
Re: Permeability of skin
« Reply #1 on: 21/11/2005 13:59:36 »
I actually don't think there is anything to stop liquid from permeating into the skin...hence the crinkly effect on your fingers when you enjoy bathy goodness for a long time.....

However, our skin although sponge like, does not just continue to absorb liquid ad infinitum...as this would be rather inconveniant and wrong....we need Dr Chris to answer this one.

Men are the same as women.... just inside out !!

Offline Solvay_1927

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21/11/2005 23:20:09 »
Talking about sweat, I have another question that maybe Dr Chris and others can help me with:

I sweat alot / easily.  When people see me dripping with sweat after the mildest exertion / as soon the weather starts getting warmer, they always say that I must be really unfit/unhealthy.  But I don't think I am.  (I'm average-ish weight, height and build - BMI of about 24 - and although I don't go out of my way to exercise, I think I must do enough, as I have reasonable muscle tone, etc.  Also, I sweated easily even when I was a very fit cross-country runner at school.)

So is sweatiness really a sign of poor condition, or are people just making assumptions (because they're used to the image of, for example, very overweight people sweating easily)?

Personally, I have a theory that sweating actually keeps me healthy.  I don't catch cold or other infections anywhere near as much as the rest of my family, and tend to get get over such illnesses quite quickly (e.g. one good night of sweaty sleep normally gets me over a cold).  Could it be that sweating helps?  (Does the phrase "sweating out a cold" have any scientific basis?)

A doctor's opinion would be of interest.  Have there ever been any scientific studies of the benefits of sweating?

P.S. Neil - what is that new animation in your signature?  (Or do I not want to know?)

FOOTBALLERS’ QUOTES #6 :  'I've never wanted to leave. I'm here for the rest of my life, and hopefully after that as well.' - Alan Shearer

Offline ukmicky

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.space-talk.com/
« Reply #3 on: 22/11/2005 01:37:01 »
Paul
I am a bit like you I’m quite fit but can on occasions sweat a lot.

I noticed a while back when I tried to gain weight by eating lots more than normal as everyone said I was skinny, instead of putting on weight in the form of body fat I perspired more. I assume by body doesn’t want to increase its level of body fat (people say i'm lucky)and so has to use up the extra calories in other ways,so my body burns it off as heat instead.
However when I exercise, which i now do daily, my body converts it into muscle instead of heat, so no sweating

Michael                                      
« Last Edit: 22/11/2005 01:39:42 by ukmicky »

Offline Solvay_1927

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 23/11/2005 20:51:51 »
Interesting, Michael - sounds plausible.

Anyway, I've been sitting in this waiting room for two days now, and the doctor still hasn't seen me about my sweating problem.  Typical blummin' NHS surgery!  I think I'll have to try going private.

"Do infants enjoy infancy as much as adults enjoy adultery?"

Offline ukmicky

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.space-talk.com/
« Reply #5 on: 23/11/2005 23:36:01 »
Paul
There’s a cheaper alternative than going private, just don’t wear any deodorant. See how quick they see you then.:)

Michael                                      
« Last Edit: 23/11/2005 23:36:40 by ukmicky »

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #5 on: 23/11/2005 23:36:01 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums