The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: a little tingle....  (Read 6614 times)

Offline Corbeille

• View Profile
a little tingle....
« on: 21/11/2005 21:47:13 »
If I concentrate on the ends of my fingers, I soon feel them tingling slightly. Nothing is touching then so how can this be?

hmmmmmmmmmm........

"They're all animals anyway. All the animals come out at night"

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
Re: a little tingle....
« Reply #1 on: 21/11/2005 22:48:57 »
Are you sure you're not putting your fingers in the plug socket ?..or do you perchance have your abode nestled up a national grid pylon ? or perhaps without realising, your fingers , as a pastime like to paddle in thimbles of fizzy water...

.....however, in as serious tone as I can muster....I know what you mean...I'm sure it's a mind over matter thing, a tinge of psychosomatic madness to induce pins and needles in your extremeties...or is it all in the mind ?....wooooooo woooooo !!!...

bugger !!!...I've got it now !!..you've made my finger tips go tickly....thanks Mike !!

Men are the same as women.... just inside out !!

Offline Simmer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21/11/2005 22:51:32 »
Do you think all feeling is really in the mind?  I don't mean the nerve impulses, I mean the sensations we describe as tingling/pain/softness etc.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21/11/2005 22:56:18 »
Absolutely not....The senasations we describe are most certainly real...but I believe it's possible to induce the sensations, or the illusion of the sensations, just with the power of your own thought, either self imposed or via an external medium....eg: a hypnotist.

Offline DoctorBeaver

• A stitch in time would have confused Einstein.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 21/11/2005 23:22:45 »
ALL sensations occur in the brain. The nerves throughout our body respond to stimuli & report back to the brain via the CNS. It is the brain which then tells us we are sensing something.  I think I'm right in saying that most painkillers work by interfering with those messages.
It is also this mechanism which is responsible for hallucinations; when false stimuli originate in the CNS or the brain itself.
By concentrating on a particular part of your body (e.g. your fingertips) you are drawing your brain's attention to that area. This, in its turn, can cause the brain to create false stimuli. It is this process that is utilised by eastern mystics to block out pain.
To bring it down to a more base level - 1 which most men will be able to associate with - haven't you ever noticed that looking at a photo of a beautiful, naked woman causes a tingling in your groin even though it's not being touched? It's exactly the same mechanism of false stimulus.

Offline DoctorBeaver

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 21/11/2005 23:23:50 »
Hmmm, I think I sounded too erudite there. Maybe I should have said it's because you're a psycho who's about to put an axe through someone's head :D

Veni, Vidi, Velcro. I came, I saw, I got stuck.

Offline Simmer

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 23/11/2005 22:30:43 »
No, you're allowed to be erudite, this is a science forum.  Although I must admit the psycho theory sounds plausible :D

Offline ukmicky

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.space-talk.com/
« Reply #7 on: 23/11/2005 23:50:53 »
HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM........

Its got to be similar to an itch, scratch one on your leg and another will appear on your arm for no reason other than your thinking about itches.

And when you see someone yawn,which then causes you to yawn. Or is that one taking it to far:)

Michael                                      
« Last Edit: 24/11/2005 04:12:24 by ukmicky »

Offline Andrew K Fletcher

• Neilep Level Member
  • KIS Keep It Simple
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 24/11/2005 11:33:59 »
Walking round the supermarket, My wife, son's and myself have noticed a huge build up of static, to the point we can touch people and give them an electrical shock. On one occasion, I had already discharged the elctricity from my body on my unwitting son. Then, while standing at the till, I felt a strange sensation running up and down my spine and could feel the hair (what little I have) standing up. I moved my finger towards Jasons ear and when about an inch away, a huge crack sounded as a visible electric charge jumped from my finger tips to his ear, making him jump and yell out. Still find this fascinating after all this time.#

Also noticed, when out tree hugging, that when you place your hands on a tree's trunk thats in leaf, you can feel a tingling running down through your hands and arms into your body. Not sure what this is but its certainly a real feeling. Looking back at the Dead Sea Scrolls, it refers to this energy while embracing a tree as you would embrace a brother.

Don't believe me? then all ya gotta do is go try it :)

"The explanation requiring the fewest assumptions is most likely to be correct."
K.I.S. "Keep it simple!"

Offline Thondar

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 24/11/2005 15:57:37 »
Or when you hurt your self and it causes no pain until you know and see your cut its when you starts to feel the pain...its awsome.

Music should strike fire from the heart of man, and bring tears from the eyes of woman.  LVB

Offline DoctorBeaver

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 25/11/2005 17:35:54 »
quote:
Or when you hurt your self and it causes no pain until you know and see your cut its when you starts to feel the pain

I stubbed my toe in a dark room & that certainly hurt even though I couldn't see it! :(

sharkeyandgeorge

« Reply #11 on: 01/12/2005 14:38:53 »
ive recently started sen oh kai classes and according to my instructor that tingling is what you need if you want to punch through a wall( ive done it without tingling it hurts!) so im trying to achieve the very thing youve stumbled onto if he tells me exactly what it is next week ill tell you

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
The philosopher Q man

Offline Thondar

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 02/12/2005 00:17:48 »
quote:
Originally posted by DoctorBeaver

I stubbed my toe in a dark room & that certainly hurt even though I couldn't see it! :(

Hahaha those will always hurt, but sometimes you get a scratch or something and you don't even noticed. And its until then when you feel it. I think the brain really can't focus the same pain on several places. Imagine that you got a pain in the arm and you stubbed your toe. Will you still feel the same pain in the arm?

Music should strike fire from the heart of man, and bring tears from the eyes of woman.  LVB

Offline DoctorBeaver

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 02/12/2005 13:42:39 »
It depends. The more severe of the 2 pains tends to override the other but on most occasions you would still feel it. Have you never ached all over after a bout of physical exercise?

Offline DoctorBeaver

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 02/12/2005 13:44:30 »
I recently started a course of Sen Oh Kot :D

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 02/12/2005 14:26:01 »
quote:

I recently started a course of Sen Oh Kot :D

I too have started a coursee of Fy Bo Gel :D...

I am keen to hug a tree. I do love 'em.I just think trees are great. If only they could talk, perhaps the sensation one feels when in a coital hug with one is in fact the tree talking. I wonder if the tree feels something back.

Offline DoctorBeaver

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 02/12/2005 14:59:49 »
quote:
perhaps the sensation one feels when in a coital hug with one is in fact the tree talking.

Maybe it was asking if you wanted a post-coital cigarette

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 02/12/2005 17:03:15 »
quote:

quote:
perhaps the sensation one feels when in a coital hug with one is in fact the tree talking.

Maybe it was asking if you wanted a post-coital cigarette

Are you sure you are not barking up the wrong tree !! (I SO WISH I NEVER SAID THAT...that is so bad...that it's good !)...*dons duncehead hat and goes sits in the corner for making such a cringe worthy quip*

Offline DoctorBeaver

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 02/12/2005 17:26:35 »
Walking hand-in-hand along the beech! *hides*

Offline Solvay_1927

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 03/12/2005 00:41:37 »
Oh please, no more puns you two, it's time to turn over a new leaf.

(Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhh ....)

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #19 on: 03/12/2005 00:41:37 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums