The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Old Wives Tales....  (Read 7907 times)

Offline coogie

• First timers
    • View Profile
Old Wives Tales....
« on: 23/11/2005 01:25:59 »
Hey does anyone know any Old Wives Tales?? And the chemistry behind how they work? the more obscure the better!

Offline DoctorBeaver

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • A stitch in time would have confused Einstein.
    • View Profile
Re: Old Wives Tales....
« Reply #1 on: 23/11/2005 09:34:52 »
My nan always used to say, "Eat a handful of dirt before you die".
Research has shown that kids who are raised in rural areas are less prone to asthma & allergies than those raised in cities. The reason, apparently, is that they come into contact more often with germs, and, consequently, their bodies develop immunities. City kids tend to live in much more sterile surroundings (with the exception of vehicle emissions, of course). Children raised on farms showed the lowest incidence of asthma & allergies.

Offline Malus32

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 23/11/2005 14:32:06 »
The elderly lady across the road suggested rubbing butter on a bump on the head, but I declined. I've also heard that garlic is a great cure for many ailments.

If you try to decieve, do it well...

Offline Ian33

• View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/alex_bleeze
« Reply #3 on: 23/11/2005 16:20:19 »
I was told, if you have a sore  throat, wrap a sweaty sock around it, I can't imagine why, unless the smell is supposed to distract you...??

Ian

I Luv 2 Dance

Offline robotjesusbeta

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 23/11/2005 19:13:06 »
asthma is caused by a fungus that grows on tree pollen, in the country you  will be exposed to this alot more and so should in theory build up a resistance. Shame it doesnt work the same in the city with Aluminium hahaha we have stopped making pots out of Aluminium because it caused alzheimers (sp?) yet whats your coke can made of? what type of foil do you  cover you baked spud with? thats right your getting alzheimers or atleast you wont remember it! [:p]

Is that the mouthwash in your eyes?
« Last Edit: 23/11/2005 19:13:34 by robotjesusbeta »

Offline ukmicky

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.space-talk.com/
« Reply #5 on: 24/11/2005 00:07:44 »
Doctorbeaver
Please don't take this the wrong way but topic reads “Old Wives Tales" Not old nanny tales.:) :)

Ps
I wonder how many calories there is in a handful of garden dirt. I suppose it would depend on how big your hand was.

Michael                                      
« Last Edit: 24/11/2005 00:08:51 by ukmicky »

Offline Ylide

• View Profile
    • http://clem.mscd.edu/~mogavero
« Reply #6 on: 24/11/2005 12:50:41 »
Hmm...off the top of my head...

if you get stung by a jellyfish, pee on it to reduce the pain and swelling  (not true)

rub butter on a burn (also not true)

water is very bad for you  (just messing with Ian33)

This message brought to you by The Council of People Who Are Sick of Seeing More People

Offline Ian33

• View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/alex_bleeze
« Reply #7 on: 24/11/2005 13:38:07 »
Aha, water is very good for you, especially in the Sahara...Old Arab wives tale :)

Not a boy called Sue

Offline NewBill

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 24/11/2005 13:41:46 »
Bread poultice usually containing onions and garlic with moistened bread wrapped around infected sore or cut.  Works as I recall though it may be a matter of doing no harm.  A similar concoction applied to the chest cured whining about not being able to sleep because of congestion although it stimulated whispering to brother about the annoyance of poultices on the chest.

Had a pimple or some such on the inside of the eyelid which bothered me for many days.  Castor oil in the eye permanently relieved the situation over night.

Half an ounce of brandy does more for the symptoms of a chest cold than any of the over the counter decongestants.  Rum will do.  Eyedroppers were used when treating 3 month plus year olds and 1 or 2 drops was all that was administered.

These remedies were handed down to my mother from her mother.  While I may treat myself with one or two I am unlikely to hand them down except maybe verbally.  I wonder now if treating everyday ills is biased to gender within a culture.  One wonders why women nurse and men doctor.  Seems counter intuitive on this thread.

Offline rosy

• Neilep Level Member
  • Chemistry
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 24/11/2005 17:20:02 »
quote:
One wonders why women nurse and men doctor.

Ah-ha. Yes, an old wives' tale... OK, maybe that's unfair, but it's certainly out of date in this country.
Current statistics (2004-2005 student numbers) for Cambridge indicate that of the 491 students registered for the MB degree- I think that's the clinical course after the pre-clinical BA, no doubt someone knows- 273 were women as against 219 men.

Historically, women couldn't doctor because they weren't allowed and subsequently for a time fewer had the education.
Why fewer men nurse? At the least people tend to be surprised at the thought of a man nursing (tho' I've had a couple of terrific male nurses when I've been in hospital). Teahcing, too.

Offline robotjesusbeta

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 24/11/2005 18:51:10 »
hold on isnt the piss on a jellyfish sting, based on the fact that there is ammonia in your piss and ammonia is used on insect bites so i can see how this emmerged

Is that the mouthwash in your eyes?

Offline DoctorBeaver

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • A stitch in time would have confused Einstein.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 25/11/2005 18:53:51 »
Micky - my grandmother was married; so therefore was both an old nan AND AN OLD WIFE! [^]

Veni, Vidi, Valium. I came, I saw, I don't care.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #11 on: 25/11/2005 18:53:51 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums