The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: What are ghosts?  (Read 11787 times)

Offline Dimz

• View Profile
Re: What are ghosts?
« Reply #25 on: 06/07/2011 17:55:29 »
Don_1, if ghosts are around there might be animal ghosts as well as humans. Also, if ghosts were real, it does not automatically mean everything that dies turns into a ghost. Say in this space-time there are, for example, 5 levels of existence, and we only interact with the ghost one from time to time due to some crazy paranormal physics defying crazy stuff (and, of course, our own!). When people die they might mostly go to realm 1 or 2, rather than the ghost realm, for example. I have no reason to argue for this theory, but if ghosts were to exist, it's a possibility!

Also, many people who claim to be 'experts' in ghosts say that ghosts can also be accompanied by environmental things. For example, castle x has 'The Grey Lady' who was killed while doing her makeup with a handheld mirror. When you see her, sometimes she leaves behind a ghostly mirror that disappears after a few seconds. Obviously it's very corny and most likely going to be fabricated, but plenty of 'observers' have seen this sort of thing all over the world. So presuming that even items and environmental objects can be ghostified, presumably animals aren't such a big stretch!

This isn't backed up by anything, obviously. I'm just saying that there could be another level of existence after this one, which isn't that 'out there' when you consider how spectacularly extraordinary our own existence is!

Offline CZARCAR

• View Profile
Re: What are ghosts?
« Reply #26 on: 06/07/2011 21:49:49 »
so much 4 the parallel universe?

Offline Dr. Junix

• View Profile
What are ghosts?
« Reply #27 on: 07/07/2011 08:48:55 »
yes.. indeed ghosts exist.. proof? naaahhh...

there are no visible proof.. as much as I'd say, other things exist which we cannot see and hear.. but just the same we believe in them.. ghosts are real..

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
  • A stupid comment for every occasion.
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
What are ghosts?
« Reply #28 on: 07/07/2011 09:16:34 »
Does it not strike you as a rather convenient coincidence that these tales of the The Grey Lady, The White Monk, The Squire's Daughter etc etc all seem to be centred on establishments doing their utmost to coax tourists in to spend huge wads of dosh??? There is nothing better than good old ghost story to attract business to your 18th. C. inn.

No. I'm sorry, but we, like all other life, are a lucky, yet complex, mish mash of chemicals, which just happen to occur in the right quantities in the right place at the right time. When we die, all our component parts will revert to whatever they were before they became a part of us, with the help of insects, fungi and plain simple chemical breakdown.

Offline Dimz

• View Profile
What are ghosts?
« Reply #29 on: 08/07/2011 18:03:23 »
So you think. Even you cannot say that for 100% ghosts do not exist. I don't see how the complex structure of many many many different amino acid chains culminate in a 'mish-mash' of a neuron, which all come together to produce emotions and such. The fact that you can think and logically debate is so abstract from compounds reacting with each other. The chemicals and fundamental building blocks may create and sustain us, but that doesn't mean that that is all we are confined to. Hence why I think there are paranormal traits about us.

An yeah as I said before (concerning the grey lady etc) it's a cliche theme and very very often is just to lure tourists in. I already said that. But when little old ladies in their house say they've seen a ghost I don't think that's to attract tourists. Most Haunted etc is a load of bullshit, I prefer to listen to people who I talk to face to face or from reliable sources.

Offline Dr. Junix

• View Profile
What are ghosts?
« Reply #30 on: 11/07/2011 06:54:13 »
ghosts are real, same as old scientists claim the world to be flat, which was proven to be a sphere.

proof of ghosts are soon to be discovered. and after that, proof that we have souls and then comes the belief in God.. Not so complex as you might imagine..

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
  • A stupid comment for every occasion.
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
What are ghosts?
« Reply #31 on: 11/07/2011 11:40:08 »
..... I don't see how the complex structure of many many many different amino acid chains culminate in a 'mish-mash' of a neuron, which all come together to produce emotions and such.

It is difficult to comprehend how all the necessary components for life came together in just the right place also. But here we are. But we are physical beings, we have mass. When we die, we decompose, no part of our mass leaves us for another world. Therefore, can you explain how something which is without mass can exist?

....... I prefer to listen to people who I talk to face to face or from reliable sources.

Reliable????????

proof of ghosts are soon to be discovered. and after that, proof that we have souls and then comes the belief in God.. Not so complex as you might imagine..

I can see that you are convinced and therefore not open to alternatives. I have no objection to anyone wishing to believe in God, but do you not realise, that according to your God, there can be no proof of his existence. He demands you have faith in him without any evidence, or at least, some, who claim to have spoken to him or someone who knows of someone who's brother's wife's third cousin twice removed's schoolfriend's sister's boyfriend's uncle, who claimed to have spoken to God, said you must have blind faith in God.

So I shall not hold my breath waiting for your proof of God, ghosts or anything of the sort.

Offline Dimz

• View Profile
What are ghosts?
« Reply #32 on: 11/07/2011 19:17:29 »
Reliable insofar as that they are most likely not fakes. Reliable wasn't the correct word, as any witness to something like a ghost can be mistaken or prone to autosuggestion/psychological tricks of the mind. But when you get quite a few people seeing the same thing who are apparently unrelated to each other in any way, it usually lends to something a bit more complex than just merely them seeing things that aren't there. Obviously it is very rare that something like this happens, which is why I haven't formed an opinion on the existence of ghosts! But I'm still always looking.

And also about the complex formation of our bodies and stuff, I don't necessarily think that everything that exists must have a mass! Perhaps mass is a property of matter in this... I don't know what to call it, dimension? I'm not sure on the word I'm looking for, but imagine if the mind was in another place where it holds no mass, but is still dependent on the brain (from matter). It's very very very difficult to understand, which is why I just want to know the point at which an electrical impulse attains properties different to it's usual properties (i.e when it becomes a 'thought' instead of just an electrical impulse!). Or some theory that explain how these impulses create these thoughts.

Perhaps there is no proof, and never shall be. I was just trying to say that everyone shouldn't be so quick to say that because there is no proof, that ghosts don't exist!
« Last Edit: 11/07/2011 19:19:55 by Dimz »

Offline Dr. Junix

• View Profile
What are ghosts?
« Reply #33 on: 14/07/2011 01:18:09 »
I can see that you are convinced and therefore not open to alternatives. I have no objection to anyone wishing to believe in God, but do you not realise, that according to your God, there can be no proof of his existence. He demands you have faith in him without any evidence, or at least, some, who claim to have spoken to him or someone who knows of someone who's brother's wife's third cousin twice removed's schoolfriend's sister's boyfriend's uncle, who claimed to have spoken to God, said you must have blind faith in God.

So I shall not hold my breath waiting for your proof of God, ghosts or anything of the sort.

No please don't hold your breathe, lest you die, and your restless soul be condemn by God, and put it in a jar as evidence for those skeptics here. I want you alive here in this discussion. LOL..

You're right, My God does ask me to believe in him without further evidence aside from his words. As much as I believe in peace and love where there is also no evidence. Unless you take shakespears opera as evidence.

Lloyd Ihenacho

What are ghosts?
« Reply #34 on: 14/07/2011 12:52:08 »
It is difficult to hold any sort of regard for anything in the supernatural for one solid, inescapable reason. IT LACKS ANY FORM OF SCIENTIFIC Evidence or justification. As with religion, belief in the supernatural revolves around ones personal faith. Having faith that there are supernatural occurrences beyond the explicable can and do happen. Faith that in some cases, things 'just happen and cannot be explained'. This is ridiculous. All it takes is a bit of active questioning instead of simply taking things at face value. 'Oh i saw something blurry at the bottom on the garden, it MUST have been a ghost'. To behave in this way is ridiculous and quite simply defies logic.

The Naked Scientists Forum

What are ghosts?
« Reply #34 on: 14/07/2011 12:52:08 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length