The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Why Sweat Veggies ?  (Read 2785 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
Why Sweat Veggies ?
« on: 27/11/2005 18:10:23 »
I love to cook !..I just made a nice veggy soup though I'm not a vegetarian..(just ask wifey !!..HA HA HA....errrhm !)...anyway...I know that frying(sweating) the veggies for a short while helps to release the flavour but why is this better than the heat applied to them during normal cooking ie: boiling ?..what is happening inside veggy to make them more tasty when sweating them ?

Men are the same as women.... just inside out !!

Offline DoctorBeaver

• A stitch in time would have confused Einstein.
    • View Profile
Re: Why Sweat Veggies ?
« Reply #1 on: 27/11/2005 23:13:06 »
I would imagine it's to do with the sudden application of intense heat. When you fry something, you put it in once the oil is hot. I would think that seals the outside of the vegetables thus preventing the goodness from escaping. Boiling, however, involves the vegetables being heated along with the water so seepage into the water is, I would imagine, inevitable.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 28/11/2005 00:25:07 »
Of course, in this case I was making soup so seepage into the water was necessary but sweating the veggies is indeed recommended and then you add the water. I wonder if there are oils or juices within the veggies that only the intense heat of the oil can only bring out ?....still, it's very nice soup...so why did I order pizza ? (errh,...that's not an official question)

Men are the same as women.... just inside out !!

Offline DoctorBeaver

• A stitch in time would have confused Einstein.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 29/11/2005 15:16:39 »
quote:
I wonder if there are oils or juices within the veggies that only the intense heat of the oil can only bring out ?

That could well be.
Maybe you ordered pizza because you like it :D

sharkeyandgeorge

« Reply #4 on: 29/11/2005 15:37:11 »
sweating helps keeps the natural sugars inside the vedgies from being diluted in the water partlyby sealing the veg and partly by conversion

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
The philosopher Q man

another_someone

« Reply #5 on: 30/11/2005 08:13:30 »
Frying happens at a higher temperature than boiling (unless, maybe, you are boiling in a pressure cooker), since boiling veg will be limited in temperature to the boiling point of water, and frying will be limited to the boiling point of the fat or oil.

I had always assumed (maybe erroneously) it was to do with the breakdown of cellulose, since cellulose is a polymer of sugar.  Possibly the way it breaks down at different temperatures might differ, or the way it interacts with hot oils might influence its flavour.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #5 on: 30/11/2005 08:13:30 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length