The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Potatoes ? good ? bad ? indifferent ?  (Read 6975 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
Potatoes ? good ? bad ? indifferent ?
« on: 28/11/2005 16:28:50 »
This is question No 76 in a series of 857 vegetable related questions.

I bought a pack of mixed veggies the other day to make the soup that I have mentioned in another post. Now, it says on the packet that you have to eat five portions of fruit and veg a day..yada yada yada..and this pack contains so many portions etc etc etc ....but it goes out of the way to mention that the potatoes within are excluded from the daily quota....why's that then ?...is it something to do with the starchy goodness ?..and if so...can you tell me what it is about starchy goodness that therefore makes it starchy badness ?

Thanks

Neil
xxxxxxxxxx Hugs and smishes to you all.

Men are the same as women.... just inside out !!

Offline DoctorBeaver

• A stitch in time would have confused Einstein.
    • View Profile
Re: Potatoes ? good ? bad ? indifferent ?
« Reply #1 on: 29/11/2005 15:26:27 »
I'd always understood that potatoes are good for you (apart from chips fried in lard, that is)

Offline Andrew K Fletcher

• Neilep Level Member
  • KIS Keep It Simple
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 29/11/2005 17:04:39 »
Many poor people in the world are able to survive on potatoes.

The Irish people ate potatoes and exported all their other produce to England, due of course to orders from the occupying British forces, who imposed starvation on the Irish people. This is why the Potato famine devastated the Irish people who depended so much on the humble spud for survival.

I must say, we as a nation suck when it comes to looking out for our own!

I also read of one man who was allergic to all food except for boiled potatoes. He defied advice that he could not survive on this alone, yet as far as I know he did just that!

Nice post Neil

"The explanation requiring the fewest assumptions is most likely to be correct."
K.I.S. "Keep it simple!"

sharkeyandgeorge

« Reply #3 on: 01/12/2005 15:02:02 »
potatoes have little or no nutritional value but taste great and gaive lots of energy soooo good thing

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
The philosopher Q man

Offline Solvay_1927

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 01/12/2005 21:37:52 »
How can potatoes have little or no nutritional value?  Referring to AKF's point above, for decades (possibly centuries) many Irish people lived on a diet of almost literally nothing but potatoes and buttermilk for, say, 350 days of the year.  (And I'm not just talking about the time of the famine - the diet was only marginally more varied when my dad and my father in law were growing up in rural ireland in the 1920s & 30s.)

Offline daveshorts

• Neilep Level Member
  • Physics, Experiments
    • View Profile
    • http://www.chaosscience.org.uk
« Reply #5 on: 02/12/2005 00:41:04 »
I have heard that you can survive on potatoes and milk, if you eat the skins and eat loads of them. However in the quantities we tend to eat them especially peeled there aren't many vitamins in them.

Part of the reason the irish potato famine was so bad was that the food that was brought in to replace them was maize, which has hardly any vitamins in so all the people were malnourised even if they weren't starving.

Offline Simmer

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 02/12/2005 22:53:02 »
Definitely a good thing; easy to grow, nutricious, tasty and versatile as a foodstuff and serviceable as a handwarmer or improvised weapon.  They can also grow into amusing shapes - an important resource in a pre-TV rural community.

A more interesting question would be "Potatoes, better or worse than rice?"

Offline DoctorBeaver

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 03/12/2005 10:42:33 »
Typical of my warped mind, I find it amusing that someone called Simmer replies to a post about potatoes. Maybe I should change my name to DoctorSautee [:o)]

Offline Simmer

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 03/12/2005 15:21:12 »
My middle name is Fortwentyminuteswiththelidon but I don't usually tell people because I think it detracts from the air of smouldering menace and barely restrained violence that "Simmer" creates.  What do you think?

Offline DoctorBeaver

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 04/12/2005 18:47:43 »
I think you're being silly; that's what I think [:o)]

sharkeyandgeorge

« Reply #10 on: 10/12/2005 15:03:04 »
did you know potatoes are the resultof ancient central americans crossbreeding two types of poisoness tubars and the come in every colour from black to red and blue also the first and one of the best meathod of preserving potatoes was freeze drying practised to this day in the andes but leaving them outside over night in the cold but very dry air

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
The philosopher Q man

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 10/12/2005 22:10:05 »
I didn't know that Chris. That's very interesting., but, did you know that if you slice a potato up and deep fry it, you get chips ?.....incredible what they can do nowadays eh ?  :D

Offline DoctorBeaver

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 10/12/2005 22:13:18 »
Did you know that French fries were invented in Switzerland?[xx(]

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 10/12/2005 22:23:31 »
quote:
Originally posted by DoctorBeaver

Did you know that French fries were invented in Switzerland?[xx(]

Fortunatley they did not confuse it with the cuckoo clock because a french fry clock would be bad and wrong....:)

sharkeyandgeorge

« Reply #14 on: 11/12/2005 13:35:30 »
wait a min whats this about chips when did that happen? youll be telling me you can mash them up somehow now!

"I realised i was sitting on a thousand tons of fuel in a rocket built by the lowest bidder"

Offline Steve Vai

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 21/01/2006 00:17:09 »
potatoes dont have the same quantity of vitamins and random nutrients found in most other fruits, you mainly get starchy energy goodness form them instead of all of the trace nutrients and vitamins needed to keep in tip-top condition, thus they arent considered a portion of fruit and veg in the standard 5 a day thing

dont get me wrong, they are good for you and the skins especially have some nutrients which are good, and a vitamin or two, just not as many vitamins and stuff as in otehr fruit and veg. they also are considered healthy, for example, because if you compare a potato to a glass of cola (or a plate of chips, or a cake, but a glass of cola is more amusing in context to my warped sense of humour), you will find the potato will do you less harm and provide you with a better source of energy

people survive without these nutrients, look at the people who eat macdonalds every day and live to tell the tale, it just aint as healthy as eating the vitamins etc found in most fruit, which is what the whole 5 a day thing is about

in conculsion you can live on potatoes, but they dont count because they arent as vitamin and nutrient rich as most, if not all, other fruit and veg, its like the vegetable equivalent of bread.

"Turkeys killed my family" - Chip, 02/09/2005, 12:49

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #15 on: 21/01/2006 00:17:09 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums