The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Slipped Discs  (Read 8018 times)

Offline PeterR

• First timers
    • View Profile
Slipped Discs
« on: 09/09/2002 18:43:49 »
Hi

Can anyone explain to me what exactly a slipped disc is ? I've been told that I have one and that this is the reason that I have bad back pain. Also, what can I do about it ?

Offline NakedScientist

• View Profile
    • http://www.thenakedscientists.com
Re: Slipped Discs
« Reply #1 on: 12/09/2002 18:20:08 »
Dear Peter

Back pain is very common and affects 1 person in 5 at any one time in life. It's more common in men that women (probably because men are more likely to do manual jobs than women) and often has no obvious demonstrable cause on scans.

Slipped discs are one cause of back pain, and develop when one of the cartilage discs which separate each of the bones in the spine develops a bulge. The bulge usually occurs at the back of the disc and applies pressure to the nerve roots entering the spinal cord at that level. The pressure on the nerve produces the pain and muscle spasms that characterise the condition.

It is usually treated with anti-inflammatory drugs, drugs to stop the muscle spasm (including diazepam) and if necessary with surgery.

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
« Reply #2 on: 19/11/2002 17:55:02 »
quote:
Originally posted by PeterR

Hi

Can anyone explain to me what exactly a slipped disc is ? I've been told that I have one and that this is the reason that I have bad back pain. Also, what can I do about it ?

Hi Pete

what about trying some acupuncture ?

see : http://www.thenakedscientists.com/html/shows/2002.08.04.htm

On the above show the interview guest is conducting acupuncture live on air - makes for some entertaining listening !

Offline crchd@aol.com

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 23/04/2003 03:31:06 »
I have been diagnosed as having a slipped disc between the 3 and 4 lumbar.  My dr has suggested exercise and a girdle for treatment.  I am reluctant to do only this since I am very active.  I want a cure, not a mask.  Please comment as I am very unfamiliar with this problem.  Have anyone of you had surgery and what were the results?  I am going to see an ortohpede for advice also.  My doctor who diagnosed it was a rheumatoid arthritis dr who did an MRI to identify the problem and says it is a slipped disc and not arthritis.  Comments, please.

Offline Donnah

• Ma-Donnah
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 23/04/2003 07:06:17 »
Hi Peter,

I'm not a doctor, nor do I have back trouble, but I worked for about a year as a caregiver.  A number of my clients had had back surgery, though I couldn't tell you the specifics of each case.  What I do remember is that every single person said if they could do it over they would not opt for surgery.

Why not try acupuncture, as Chris suggested?

Good for you, taking a proactive approach to your health and healing!  Perhaps if you continue your research you will find other modalities worth trying as well.

Another tidbit of information: turmeric is available in health food stores and has anti-inflammatory, antibiotic  and antioxidant properties.  It's also the main ingredient in curry.  It should not be used in large doses though, so I'd follow the dosage guidelines on the bottle.  This is something I have used with great success.

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
« Reply #5 on: 24/04/2003 11:23:41 »
Surgery for 'slipped discs' is extremely common and very safe (taking into account the attendent risks of any surgery which are amplified by age, smoking, cardiovascular disease, diabetes, obesity and other chronic medical conditions).

The rule that applies to any surgery is that you should try conservative approaches first including anti-inflammatory agents and rest.

Chris

Offline Donnah

• Ma-Donnah
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 25/04/2003 00:33:31 »
Sounds logical.  Now I'm wondering about people who have had surgery for slipped disks.  Do they generally make a complete recovery and live pain-free afterward?

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
« Reply #7 on: 25/04/2003 10:31:41 »
There's nothing to stop another disc going somewhere else !! Better not tempt fate.

Offline bezoar

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 16/07/2003 08:18:18 »
But you have to remember that the measure of successful back surgery is not relief of pain, just a decrease in pain.  My advice would be to only have the surgery if you can't stand the pain.  The disk should recede some with time, and as the swelling caused my inflammation decreases, and the disk itself shrinks back, the pain should go away as well.  I read something recently that said that the disks harden with age thus become less prone to bulge or herniate. So, if you can stand it till your fifties, you might not ever need surgery.  If you really have to have the surgery, I'd go for the microdiskectomy.  I've seem some great results with those, and the patients get up and walk the same day or next day after surgery.  Much less invasive.  They just go in with a small scope and suck out the part of the disk that's herniated.  No big incision.  Np prolonged recovery.

Bezoar

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #8 on: 16/07/2003 08:18:18 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums