The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Could Earth's core, flip?  (Read 6012 times)

Dr. Praetoria

Could Earth's core, flip?
« on: 30/11/2005 21:55:01 »
See-
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/2889127.stm

A number of years ago I did a research paper on the effects of cosmic particles and the Earth's magnetic pole shieling effects.  What would be the cause of such a core flip,  and its resulting changes on Earth?
Doc

Offline ukmicky

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.space-talk.com/
Re: Could Earth's core, flip?
« Reply #1 on: 30/11/2005 23:44:21 »
hi Lars
i asked a similar question a while back and got a limited responSe
http://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2324

Michael                                      
« Last Edit: 01/12/2005 00:49:35 by ukmicky »

Offline Soul Surfer

• Neilep Level Member
  • keep banging the rocks together
    • View Profile
    • ian kimber's web workspace
« Reply #2 on: 01/12/2005 00:06:01 »
The plain truth is that it will flip sometime and it might be quite soon.  It is expected that there will be a higher level of radiation for a while and this will cause an increase in the level of radiation induced genetic abnormalities a perfectly natural process.  Its a bit like global warming in the not too far distant future we can expect the sea level to rise (and eventually fall again) by several meteres from where it is at the moment.  If mankind can't manage to adapt to and cope with changes like this it's pretty useless and deserves to die out.  Some people really expect everything to stay the same and be perfect change is inevitable.  We neet to be prepared to cope with abandonig places like New orleans and Venice and even large chunks of Bangla Desh.

Learn, create, test and tell
evolution rules in all things

Offline ukmicky

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 01/12/2005 00:39:43 »
I heard a while back that going by the evidence captured in volcanic rocks at the time of previous flips the next one was actually overdue and could happen at anytime.They happen every 250'000 years or so  but we haven't had one for a million years, so be prepared.  
Scary but you can't go through life worrying about something that you can't do nothing about.

btw
I just looked into my crystal ball...don't go anywhere over the new year:)

Michael                                      
« Last Edit: 01/12/2005 01:35:06 by ukmicky »

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 01/12/2005 03:50:36 »
'The Core ' is a rather amusing film...have you seen it ?

Men are the same as women.... just inside out !!

Offline ukmicky

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 01/12/2005 04:11:31 »
No but i've heard the band.:)

Michael                                      

Offline Bass

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 02/12/2005 05:07:34 »
Recent research (don't remember the source offhand- another geezer moment) suggests that past magnetic pole reversals happened over hundreds, possibly thousands of years.  Further suggested that the poles did not merely "flip", but rather that they migrated as several poles until finally settling into a "reversed" position.  

The good news with this scenario is that the magnetic field doesn't disappear- but it probably wreaks havoc on migratory birds.

Subduction causes orogeny.
« Last Edit: 02/12/2005 20:26:15 by Bass »

Offline Andrew K Fletcher

• Neilep Level Member
  • KIS Keep It Simple
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 02/12/2005 10:20:50 »
Maybe the section of earth that was measured was flipped over by an earthquake?

"The explanation requiring the fewest assumptions is most likely to be correct."
K.I.S. "Keep it simple!"

Offline Bass

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 02/12/2005 20:24:45 »
That might be the case if magnetic pole reversals were only measured in one place, but they have been measured all over the globe, particularly along the divergent mid-oceanic ridges where new crust is created- the extruded basalts are very accurate at recording magnetic pole positions.

quote:
Originally posted by Andrew K Fletcher

Maybe the section of earth that was measured was flipped over by an earthquake?

"The explanation requiring the fewest assumptions is most likely to be correct."
K.I.S. "Keep it simple!"

Subduction causes orogeny.

Offline A Big Mug

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 11/12/2005 13:49:46 »
Is is possible that the flipping of the poles is caused by a combination of the earths orbit around the sun, the liquid nature of the earths core and the tidal force of the moon.  Perhaps as the earths orbit wobbles in the vertical plane around the sun the inner liquid core, like a gyroscope, maintains its vertical orientation.  That would cause the poles to wonder over the surface.  Perhaps during one of the extremes of this wonderiing the tidal pull of the moon might just tip the balance and cause the core to flip over.  Just a thought.  I picture a gyroscope held in the palm of the hand.  Spinning and keeping itself vertical.  As you spin around and move your arm up and down the gyroscope stays vertical.  Have a great Christmas.

Offline Ian33

• View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/alex_bleeze
« Reply #10 on: 11/12/2005 23:40:58 »
The earth's core is thought to be solid iron, it's the effects of the fluid zone around the core which cause it to act like a dynamo. The core cannot flip. Complex movements in fliud, ie the molten metallic region that lies about 2800km to 5000km below the Earth's surface causes the magnetic fields to change slowly over time. This rate of change has slowed due to the Earth continuing to cool. By the way, the North pole is actually the South Pole, as lines of force are the same as a dipole magnet

Ian

Ian

Cafe Del Mar. Vol Siente

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #10 on: 11/12/2005 23:40:58 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums