The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Positive Stress Test with Negative Angiogram  (Read 8727 times)

Offline crabbycdn

• First timers
    • View Profile
Positive Stress Test with Negative Angiogram
« on: 02/08/2003 23:17:34 »
Bar-Stool Diagnosis requested for individual with negative angiogram in early April/2003.  Positive Stress Test in June/2003 (2.2 horizontal to downsloping ST depression), continuing restosternal pain/heaviness, worsening angina, SOB, uncontrollable hypertension (avg. 150/95 up to 190/115), tachycardia (resting 95-110, averagin 130 with limited daily activity), worsening non-productive cough and beginning to show some swelling in hands/feet in last 2 days?

Offline bezoar

• View Profile
Re: Positive Stress Test with Negative Angiogram
« Reply #1 on: 03/08/2003 08:54:10 »
Guesswork diagnoses:
Sounds like early congestive heart failure.  Circulation may be OK but you could still have vasospasm.  Could there be other damage to your heart?  Valve damage?  Alcoholic cardiomyopathy (enlarged heart)?  Problems with your lungs causing backup pressure into your heart?  Sounds like the blood supply is OK but there is another reason the heart is not pumping effectively.  Chris could probably shed more light on this.

Bezoar

Offline crabbycdn

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 03/08/2003 18:43:07 »
DEFINITELY not due to alcohol.  Never been much of a drinker since most of it tastes like turpentine (not that I drink turpentine either).  Have considered early heart failure since I am now experiencing shortness of breath at night and have to prop up the pillows to sleep.  Have become resistent to the nitro (over-use?) so I have actually taken up drinking this past week to get to sleep at night.  I have discovered these lovely pre-mixed little darlings that taste like milkshake and have found that if I guzzle 3 in a row and take OTC sleep aids (max. dos. x3) that I can usually get through a night.  Of course the wake-up is quite unpleasant with the cough-cough-cough and the headache from the bedtime cocktail...which I chase with 3x extra-strength tylenol.  Doesn't do much for my figure either - gained 10 pounds this week!  Family history (most women dead of heart complications by 55 --most men by 50) indicates that difficulty in getting definitive diagnosis is a common curse.  I am 42 now so have begun to set my affairs in order and will follow the path of my cousins and take up extreme sporting.  Anybody want my heart when I'm done with it?  We are a living/dying laboratory of genetic heart disease but haven't found any takers yet.  At last count -- 8/12 dead of heart disease in father's generation, 4 living have some type of heart disease.  Of over 100 descendents - all over 40 have (or died of) some type of cardiovascular disease and several in 20's and 30's.  All were doctored to the "nth" with no definitive diagnosis.  Thought I would approach individuals at this site and see if anyone is involved in reputable research project that would like a heart.  In talking to my remaining relatives I figure I will probably be done with it in less than a year.
------------------------------------------------------
Life:  Nobody gets out alive so laugh and slam the door when you leave!

Offline Donnah

• Ma-Donnah
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 03/08/2003 21:44:48 »
Hi Crabbycdn,

Welcome to the forum!  Did you ever have scarlet fever?

My Dad had a near-fatal heart attack and was taking massive amounts of medication.  He had a few smaller attacks and decided to gradually switch to herbal and diet remedies.  That was almost 25 years ago and he's a healthy person today, so I'd say it worked.  

Here's what I know:  
Hawthorn will strengthen your heart.
Coenzyme Q10 increases oxygenation of heart tissue.
Calcium and magnesium improve cardiac muscle function and increase oxygen in the blood.
Garlic lowers blood pressure and thins the blood.
L-Carnitine lowers fat and triglyceride levels in the blood.
Lecithin acts as a fat emulsifier.
Essential fatty acids (primrose, black currant seed, flaxseed, salmon oils) help prevent hardening of the arteries.
Potassium balances electrolytes (important if you're taking blood pressure medication).
Selenium (200 mcg daily) deficiency linked with heart disease.
Vitamin E - check with your doctor before taking this.

Your family history of heart problems could be partly caused by eating habits that also tend to be similar amongst family members.  Give your body as much as possible to work with and it will try to heal itself.  Eat as much fresh, raw, organic vegetable matter as you can.  Drink lots of purified water.  Stay away from things that contain sugar and are processed and packaged.

Control your mind!  You want to live long, or you wouldn't be in the forum.  You're young and deserve a full and healthy life.  If you break this chain of dire prognoses you will free yourself and give other family members hope.  I believe you can do it, but what's important is whether or not you believe you can.  This is not just lip service, I know from personal experience what it's like to live at the bottom of the health barrel.  I find Steven Halpern's subliminal tapes very helpful.

Hope this helps.  Let us know how you do.  

Offline bezoar

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 03/08/2003 22:32:53 »
Yep, waking up at night short of breath, sleeping on two to three pillows, ankles swelling, are all signs of congestive heart failure.  A diuretic and some Lanoxin would help the problem for now.  The coughing in the morning is the coughing up of fluid accumulating in your lungs.  Has anyone done an echocardiogram?  That would give information about the pumping ability of your heart, or the cardiac output.  there could, perhaps be a genetic reason for the cardiomyopathy.  At any rate, it's not being treated adequately.  There's a procedure they use for the heart transplant patients that buys time until they can get a heart.  They pull a flap from you pectoral muscle and wrap it around the heart.  It paces and pumps along with the heart, thus augmenting the strenght of the heart, increasing the cardiac output, and relieving the symptoms you complain of now.  The last I heard, patients were amazed at the relief they got.  I dont' know where you live, so I don't know what type of medicine is available to you.  I think they do the procedure in the states at Houston Heart in Texas.  It's a great facility and used to be the home of Dr. DeBakey, one of the heart pioneers, before he retired and I think died.  Someone needs to find the reason for the damage so it can be stopped or decreased.  And if it is a genetic weakness, then the rest of the family needs to know.  Could be medication related.  Be careful with the Tylenol though.  Too much is bad for your liver and you don't need any more complications.  Viral illnesses can cause valve damage as well.  All that should have been explored.

Bezoar

Offline Ians Daddy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 04/08/2003 04:46:13 »
Wow, between Donnah, Chris and Bezoar, I'll never fret about my health. I'm gonna live to be 103.

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
« Reply #6 on: 04/08/2003 16:26:07 »
The role of the coronary arteries is to supply blood to the heart muscle. Angina occurs when the amount of blood (and hence oxygen) reaching the heart muscle is insufficient for its needs. This means that even with pristine coronary arteries it is still perfectly possible to develop angina if the muscle demand for blood is greater than the coronaries can carry, or if the pressure pushing blood along them is too low.

Hypertension in isolation is reason-enough to develop cardiomyopathy due to secondary compensatory cardiac hypertrophy (muscle enlargement due to the increased workload of pumping against a greater blood pressure). However, it is critical to rule out a valve lesion which could be either mitral or aortic. Aortic stenosis (narrowing of the outflow valve) would cause the symptoms you describe. The best way to do this, and to appraise overall left ventricular function, is with an echocardiogram. I would be interested to know if there is any family history of structural problems related to the aortic valve e.g. bicuspid aortic valves (which affect 1-2% of the population), or a history of rheumatic fever (though unlikely in this geography or day and age).

There could be a familial preponderance to cardiomyopathy and indeed there are other causes of cardiomyopathy beyond alcohol, although that is a common one.

You need to see a doctor again straight away before it deteriorates further. You have all of the hallmarks of left ventricular failure and are describing the symptoms of orthopnoea - breathlessness whilst lying flat for any duration. Your therapy would include aggressive diuresis to remove the excess fluid, establishment on ACE inhibitor therapy (assuming you have no kidney problems), spironolactone and possibly a beta blocker (if not asthmatic). Any underlying rhythm disturbances need dealing with too, possibly via additional agents.

Keep me posted.

Yours

Chris

"I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception"
 - Groucho Marx
« Last Edit: 04/08/2003 16:29:07 by chris »

Offline Donnah

• Ma-Donnah
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 04/08/2003 23:57:40 »
Ronnie,

Just think of the number of inventions you could crank out between now and the time you turn 103!  

How's the patent progressing?  I want to know what the widget is you've invented.

Offline Ians Daddy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 05/08/2003 00:19:54 »
I've got lots of 'em. Lots more at 103...You're right. I'm in the process of talking to a patent company that markets and researches as well. The problem is, I'm extremely paranoid. I don't trust anyone. I won't let anyone know anything except vague points until I know I'm covered. Got any pointers on protecting myself? I need to get some of these on the market soon.  I once sat on an idea for years and saw my exact idea on the shelves later. That's happened a couple of times.

My ideas arent anything earth-moving and probably won't get me a Nobel Prize, however, most of 'em will make everyday processes a little easier. Necessity is the mother of invention, you know. I'm just in it for the money. :)

Offline bezoar

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 05/08/2003 01:32:06 »
The part I don't understand is that you can come up with a great invention, then someone else can alter a minor detail and give it another name, and market it for a fraction of the price after you've done the brain work in the development of it.  I don't know how you protect yourself from that.  Someone told me you could mail a set of your plans to yourself in a sealed envelope, which you don't open.  Then, if someone steals your idea, you can take the envelope to court with the date on it, which establishes that it was your idea first.  Seems logical, but I'd check with a patent attorney first.

Bezoar

Offline Ians Daddy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 05/08/2003 02:18:34 »
That is a good measure, however, it doesn't prove that the "pirate" didn't also think of it. Throughout history, others have taken credit for another's ideas...ie Alexander Graham Bell. I have my plans on file and am putting them on disc for storage. I will mail them to protect me further. Unfortunately, it's only a minor added security. Nowadays, nothing is safe unless unspoken. I do have a contract of confidentiality, but as you said, any minor altercation to the concept and it's gone. The man with the most gold makes the rules.

A friend of mine submitted one of his ideas to a company and they said that they couldn't do anything with it. One year later.....mass sales of his idea with a few adjustments in measurements. :(

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
« Reply #11 on: 05/08/2003 15:18:22 »
It is relatively easy to protect an idea for a gadget with a defined, intended, purpose. What you cannot protect is merely an idea.

If you prosecute the patent yourself it will save a lot of money. A good approach is to look on the web for gadgets and inventions similar to yours which already carry a patent. Then, with the no. of the patent, you look up on the web details of the patent. This will give you ideas for how to draft your own. Then you need to obtain the paperwork, which you can download, and you need to decide on what scale you want the protection - nationally or internationally. Naturally the latter is formidably expensive.

Chris

"I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception"
 - Groucho Marx

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #11 on: 05/08/2003 15:18:22 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums