The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: What things do I need to know before making my own electricity?  (Read 11017 times)

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
What things do I need to know before making my own electricity?
« Reply #25 on: 01/04/2010 00:18:19 »
Hmm. To be honest I think exercise equipment should be incorporated into places like gyms where they just have rows and rows of cycling machines, cross trainers, treadmills etc. That way the electricity would soon build up right?

Not really. It might result in some "economies of scale" in terms of the equipment, but it would not make any difference in terms of the energy being expended by the people providing the power. They could all just as easily be at home.

The silly thing is that, as far as I know, all the power that people generate on those exercise machines is simply dumped into the gym in the form of heat. Then, they have to run air conditioners to remove the heat from the gym!

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 01/04/2010 00:22:45 »
Hmm. To be honest I think exercise equipment should be incorporated into places like gyms where they just have rows and rows of cycling machines, cross trainers, treadmills etc. That way the electricity would soon build up right?

Someone has beat you to it ...

... The gym is the first human-powered gym in the U.S.

Adam Boesel, a personal trainer and the owner of the gym came up with the unique idea.  He describes, "We're just harnessing that extra energy that they put out anyway.  For people, that's a no-brainer. They say it's there, you might as well capture it."

Mr. Boesel is no mental slouch either.  He helped to rig up the gyms spin bikes with weedwacker motors and truck alternators to provide juice to the gym's systems.
http://www.dailytech.com/Green+Gym+Debuts+Powered+by+Exercisers/article12788.htm

It's still only a (very) few hundred Watts per punter while they're maxed-out on on the equipment.
i.e. it's a gimmick: this would only supply a fraction of the energy the gym uses: the gym is not entirely "human-powered".
« Last Edit: 20/08/2010 18:37:33 by RD »

Offline greenslime

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 03/04/2010 21:39:51 »
Well....I suppose waste not want not.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #27 on: 03/04/2010 21:39:51 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums