The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Can a hybrid/dual functioning solar panel be created?  (Read 2034 times)

Offline greenslime

• View Profile
Okay so I was reading about how solar panels work and to be honest with you, I don't really understand what it all means but I read this thing...

"Each cell generates a few volts of electricity and the panel combines the energy they produce to make a bigger electric current and voltage. The cells are made from silicon, a very common chemical element found in sand. When sunlight shines on a solar cell, the energy it carries blasts electrons out of the silicon. These can be forced to flow around an electric circuit and power anything that runs on electricity..." from http://www.explainthatstuff.com/solarcells.html [nofollow]

and since the UK doesn't really get much sunlight all year round, is it possible to create something that works like a solar panel but doesn't need sunlight?

For example a panel that when it rains the impact of the rain hitting the surface causes electrons to move freely or something? Or converting that kinetic energy into electrical energy? Something like that maybe lol

Oh yeah I forgot to mention so if it were possible wouldn't be so cool to combine it with an actual solar panel, that way you can benefit doubly from sunny and rainy days. Good times.
« Last Edit: 25/03/2010 16:45:36 by greenslime »

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
Can a hybrid/dual functioning solar panel be created?
« Reply #1 on: 25/03/2010 18:50:34 »
Well, it might be possible to make solar panels that also exploit the piezoelectric effect. When you "smoosh" some materials, they do generate some electricity - just not very much!

http://www.piezomaterials.com/

I suspect you would do better to collect the rain water in a tank in your attic, then use it to drive a turbine to make electricity in your basement, or, better still, if you live on top of a hill, put the turbine at the bottom of the hill. The bigger the height difference the better.

Offline greenslime

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 29/03/2010 17:09:27 »
I suspect you would do better to collect the rain water in a tank in your attic, then use it to drive a turbine to make electricity in your basement, or, better still, if you live on top of a hill, put the turbine at the bottom of the hill. The bigger the height difference the better.

Might not be the most practical idea.

So the piezoelectric effect is pretty useless due to the amount of electricity it doesn't produce.

I was thinking of a material kind of like a mix between an LCD and Solar Panel. Like when you touch an LCD screen sometimes it creates like a ripple effect, if when a raindrop hits a panel it creates the same kind of ripple effect which produces electricity.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #2 on: 29/03/2010 17:09:27 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums