The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: How Come Sound Is Louder Under Water But Sounds Muffled ?  (Read 8996 times)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
Dearest  Academical Nicely Peeps Of Clever Sharing Luff,

As a sheepy I of course enjoy swimming in the sea, yep..all day and night, if I was allowed, that is where ewe would find me…swimming neath the sea like a penguin.

Look here I am partaking of some underwater  vertiginous balneation !

A true bona-fide real picture of me under the sea

…..but hark !!…unbeknownst to me I am about to wander near where a gramophone is about to play Handel's Water Music !!….gosh…I hope it will not be too loud else I may hurt my cute furry ears !  I may hurt my ears because sounds are louder under water aren’t they ?..why’s that then ?..and why is sound louder but muffled beneath the sea ?

Ewe see, I just do not know…and if ewe do know then ewe can elevate me to your dizzy heights of acquired knowledge by letting me know too.

Hugs & shmihses

Mwah mwah mwah

Neil
I Luff Jac-EWE-zis
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

« Last Edit: 26/03/2010 00:56:49 by neilep »

Offline doppler1

• Bazinga
    • View Profile
How Come Sound Is Louder Under Water But Sounds Muffled ?
« Reply #1 on: 26/03/2010 10:57:08 »
Hey there Neilep, I would say that the sound waves obviously have a different effect on the medium in which they are travelling. Seeing as though the water in non compressible, I would say that it contains the energy of the wave and transfers it better than the air, but is muffled due to the density of the medium......just thinking aloud though and have been proven wrong on quite a few occasions :)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 26/03/2010 11:13:39 »
Hey there Neilep, I would say that the sound waves obviously have a different effect on the medium in which they are travelling. Seeing as though the water in non compressible, I would say that it contains the energy of the wave and transfers it better than the air, but is muffled due to the density of the medium......just thinking aloud though and have been proven wrong on quite a few occasions :)

Hey Doppler1..Thank ewe very much for your kind answer. It all seems quite logical to me the way ewe explain it. ...I imagine your thinking aloud would have been louder beneath the sea though !!  ;)

Thanks again. I appreciate your help.

Offline doppler1

• Bazinga
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 26/03/2010 11:24:43 »
I think that theoretically your thinking underwater does in fact seem louder than outside of the water due to the lack of background noise :)

What, I am sure would be interesting for you in particular, would be to see how far a sheep's bah can travel underwater and still be heard...although I feel that the sheep might not be too keen to partake in this little experiment.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 26/03/2010 12:06:00 »
I think that theoretically your thinking underwater does in fact seem louder than outside of the water due to the lack of background noise :)

What, I am sure would be interesting for you in particular, would be to see how far a sheep's bah can travel underwater and still be heard...although I feel that the sheep might not be too keen to partake in this little experiment.

Yes..yes..i am sure ewe are right about the thinking underwater, again..it seems perfectly reasonable ! (ewe are klevur doppler1)......As far as how far a sheeps 'Bah' will travel under the sea, well this will require some empirical research (something I strongly believe in)..I have tendered The Naked Scientists for a grant to conduct this three month long study through out various idyllic locales internationally all via first class travel and accommodation of course !!..Will ewe join my research team ?..as I am sure the answer will be a resounding yes to the research !

Offline doppler1

• Bazinga
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 26/03/2010 12:55:29 »
LOL.....count me in for sure.....I to am hounded by such conundrums and feel that the answers hold potential ground breaking scientific content. I like the fact that you have really thought this through and your application takes into account that only the idyllic locales offer the required test environment so that we can perform a number of placebo tests to ensure the integrity of our data. We could also increase the efficiency of our return to funders by conducting a few parallel experiment like what the most effective method is for consuming a cold beer whilst lounging on the deck of a boat in calm, warm and clear seas :)......as I said, count me in

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 26/03/2010 16:16:52 »
I concur doppler1.....this vital study ...- which I am sure will lead to many written and published papers and thus will result in being required reading in all educational establishments worldwide -........ will also inevitably sprout many valid and important further research studies that will require diligent studious diagnosis over many months...perhaps years !....I am glad to have ewe on board !

Offline graham.d

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 27/03/2010 11:28:17 »
I wonder whether sound underwater is muffled because of how your ears work (sheep's and human's). Ears filled with water may not be too good. As I understand it water would not diminish the high frequencies and a quick read of the web suggests that sound recordings for underwater films sometimes add bubbly sounds and deliberately muffle high frequencies for effect as it is what us punters expect.

A fact I just learnt was that stereo is useless in water because our ears/brains are adapted to working out the direction of a sound source in air where the wavelengths are very different. Divers can't easily tell where a sound is coming from apparently.

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 27/03/2010 21:48:45 »
I wonder whether sound underwater is muffled because of how your ears work ...
 Ears filled with water may not be too good.

Water is more dense than air and will damp the motion of the eardrum much more than air, particularly the high frequencies.
This is why sound is muffled, (i.e. high frequencies are lost), when you are underwater

With a hydrophone, a microphone specifically designed to work underwater, (unlike the human ear), the sound is not muffled. Hollywood may cut the high frequencies from a hydrophone recording so it is more similar to frequency response of the submerged human ear.
« Last Edit: 27/03/2010 22:18:27 by RD »

Offline doppler1

• Bazinga
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 30/03/2010 12:34:26 »
Hey Neilep, any progress on the sponsorship application for our research yet? I am preparing my PTFE liver for this adventure :)

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 30/03/2010 12:43:26 »
I wonder whether sound underwater is muffled because of how your ears work (sheep's and human's). Ears filled with water may not be too good. As I understand it water would not diminish the high frequencies and a quick read of the web suggests that sound recordings for underwater films sometimes add bubbly sounds and deliberately muffle high frequencies for effect as it is what us punters expect.

A fact I just learnt was that stereo is useless in water because our ears/brains are adapted to working out the direction of a sound source in air where the wavelengths are very different. Divers can't easily tell where a sound is coming from apparently.

Thank ewe very much GrahamD. for your informed response..............That is very interesting about the lack of stereo-ability......now ewe have me thinking about how whales and dolphins etc hear underwater !

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 30/03/2010 12:44:44 »
I wonder whether sound underwater is muffled because of how your ears work ...
 Ears filled with water may not be too good.

Water is more dense than air and will damp the motion of the eardrum much more than air, particularly the high frequencies.
This is why sound is muffled, (i.e. high frequencies are lost), when you are underwater

With a hydrophone, a microphone specifically designed to work underwater, (unlike the human ear), the sound is not muffled. Hollywood may cut the high frequencies from a hydrophone recording so it is more similar to frequency response of the submerged human ear.

Super stuff..thank ewe RD !...but am I right that sound is louder under the sea ?

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 30/03/2010 12:48:12 »
Hey Neilep, any progress on the sponsorship application for our research yet? I am preparing my PTFE liver for this adventure :)

Thank ewe for asking Doppler....I am still awaiting an answer from Dr Chris !..hurrumpth !!.....I suspect we may be asked to demonstrate the results of a feasibility study first ...Keep preparing your PTFE..I am doing something of equal importance ...buying sun lotion !  :)

Offline doppler1

• Bazinga
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 30/03/2010 13:47:42 »
That is very responsible of you....safety first! Maybe what is needed to expedite the process is a bit of a political tactic..more commonly referred to as bribary and corruption, lets offer Dr Chris a seat for the trip and a credit in the resultant paper regardless of input of scientific content :) seems to work everywhere else!

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #13 on: 30/03/2010 13:47:42 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums