The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: antimatter  (Read 4552 times)

Offline padfoot89

• First timers
    • View Profile
antimatter
« on: 11/12/2005 11:23:01 »
What basically is anti matter?
Some say there is more anti matter than matter in the universe.
I'v understood that antimatter is that quark that on annihilation with matter produces nothing............
Any suggestions.

lobo

Offline DoctorBeaver

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • A stitch in time would have confused Einstein.
    • View Profile
Re: antimatter
« Reply #1 on: 11/12/2005 13:38:44 »
For every type of particle there is an anti-particle with opposite attributes. For instance an electron has a negative charge, an anti-electron (or positron as it's known) has positive charge. The photon & graviton (if it actually exists) are their own anti-particles.
When a particle & an anti-particle come into contact they have a disagreement, resulting in a bit of a punch-up during the course of which they annihilate each other in a bit of a mutual obliteration-fest, leaving nothing but a lonely spot of residual energy wending it's weary way across the universe in search of a McDonalds where it can enjoy a nice fillet of fish in a sesame seed bun (easy on the mayo) washed down with a cup of piping hot coffee while watching the kids on the next table playfully throwing their French fries at innocent passers-by whose only crime is to be wearing a bobble hat with "I Love Lucy" embroidered on the front made from green & blue wool bought from the wool shop in Blanstead High Street & lovingly crafted by their Great Aunt Maude into a magnificent piece of sartorially elegant headwear.
OK, I made that last bit up :D

Offline DoctorBeaver

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11/12/2005 13:40:01 »
1 of the mysteries of the cosmos is that there appears to be too little anti-matter.
Maybe it has all congregated in the aforementioned McDonalds

Offline Solvay_1927

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11/12/2005 23:59:28 »

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12/12/2005 00:50:06 »
quote:
Originally posted by DoctorBeaver

1 of the mysteries of the cosmos is that there appears to be too little anti-matter.
Maybe it has all congregated in the aforementioned McDonalds

Here here !!....They can find all the anti-matter they need in a sesame seed bun.

We have to be thankful that there is less anti-matter else we just would not be relaxing here building our sand-castle forum on our naked science beach !

So how come there is less antimatter than matter ?....and if there was more anti-matter than matter....would we be living in an anti-matter existence ?....would that then make the anti-matter....Matter ?...and does that matter ?:D

Men are the same as women.... just inside out !!

Offline padfoot89

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 12/12/2005 15:31:45 »
Matter annhilates antimatter it surely matters because if there was no antimatter there would be nothing to annhilate matter.
every positive should have a negative , like in case of charges , spins,momentums,energy .....
So mass has antimatter.
E=mc2 therefore there must be dark energy as they call it.....

lobo

Offline DoctorBeaver

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 14/12/2005 16:50:46 »
I wouldn't hold too much store by anything you may find in Wikipedia. It's totally unregulated and there is no guarantee the information contained therein is accurate.

Offline Soul Surfer

• Neilep Level Member
  • keep banging the rocks together
    • View Profile
    • ian kimber's web workspace
« Reply #7 on: 14/12/2005 19:57:54 »
On the whole I think that Wikipedia is OK but it does tend to put too much stress on the "gee whiz" aspects of science.

The important thing to remember is that when matter and antimatter anihilate it results in no mass (so no gravity) but a lot of energy.  This is usually seen in the form of electromagnetic energy the simplest process is that between electrons and positrons.  The other important fact is that it produces two photons one the antiparticle of the other going off in opposite directions.

Learn, create, test and tell
evolution rules in all things
God says so!

Offline DoctorBeaver

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 14/12/2005 20:04:17 »
quote:
The important thing to remember is that when matter and antimatter anihilate it results in no mass (so no gravity) but a lot of energy

See? Told ya so! :D

Offline DoctorBeaver

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 14/12/2005 20:07:11 »
Ian - the problem with Wikipedia is that absolutely anyone can add or alter information on the site, so no-one can tell what's accurate and what isn't. That's not a problem if you know the subject anyway - but why, in that case, would you be looking it up? Personally, I'd rather use sites that are regulated and that I can trust to be accurate,

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 14/12/2005 21:47:07 »
quote:
Originally posted by DoctorBeaver

Personally, I'd rather use sites that are regulated and that I can trust to be accurate,

...Like this one for instance http://www.thenakedscientists.com/ ;)

Men are the same as women.... just inside out !!

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #10 on: 14/12/2005 21:47:07 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums