The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Zetacap and General weight loss - 2  (Read 368090 times)

Offline Karen W.

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Re: Zetacap and General weight loss - 2
« Reply #275 on: 13/10/2006 16:49:34 »
I have a huge thyroid disorder! Mine is extremely low! I take medication regularly to try to balance it outand even the playing field.. Helps with moods skin texture energy memory, not being cold all the time and weight gain! So many things that creep in when I miss my meds, even just a thyroid pill! Yes George is right and thyroid cannot be diagnosed with a single test one time it should be done several times as a thyroid flutuates greatly in its ability to function right when it is sick..

Karen
« Last Edit: 14/10/2006 12:41:49 by Karen W. »

Offline kkeegs

• View Profile
« Reply #276 on: 13/10/2006 17:41:41 »
HELLO EVERYONE!!  HAPPY FRIDAY THE 13TH!!! :D

I started on the phentermine yesterday.  I can tell that it raises your blood pressure - I could feel it rising!!  Luckily my blood pressure is normal but I am going to watch it!  I have to say that I seem to have more energy and I was even able to sleep well last night - so I was glad for that.  I did wake up an hour early but I feel really good today.  I have been walking 2 mi. on the treadmill everyday and I think it has improved my mood!  I feel ALIVE again!  It is amazing how when you are eating like a pig - you feel like crap but you can't stop yourself from doing it.  It is a disgusting cycle.  Anyway, I can't believe how well the phentermine has subsided my appetite.  I feel like this could be the thing to really help me.  I didn't eat much yesterday - because I wasn't hungry.  I just made myself eat lunch today - I wasn't hungry - I just felt like I needed it because I felt kind of weak.  I know I can make it to supper without snacking in between.  I finally feel like I have control!  I did have a tiny headache - not really anything - but I always have sinus headaches or I do get migraines once in a while and this headache wasn't anything like either of those.  I can handle this kind of headache.

Joy:  I wondered how long you have been on the phentermine?  I also wondered if you were told how to wean yourself off of them?  From what I have read - they can become highly addictive and you need to wean yourself off of them - not just quit taking them cold turkey.  I don't see anything, however, telling you how you do that???  Do you decrease the mg dosage?  Take one every other day?  If you know anything about this and can help me - I'd appreciate it.  My hubby is taking them also and his appetite has really decreased.  We are very hopeful about them.

I hope everyone is having a good week!  I'll post more later.

Kelly

Height:  5'3"
Start Date:  10/9/06
Current Weight:  202 lbs.
Weight Lost This Week:  
Total Weight Lost:  
Lbs. to go:
Goal Weight:  140

Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Much

Offline kkeegs

• View Profile
« Reply #277 on: 13/10/2006 17:45:26 »
I forgot to say that for lunch I had a Lean Cuisine Panini and it was really good.  

My favorite low-cal frozen meals are the Lean Cuisine - they have no preservatives and the quality of the food just seems better to me.  Anyway - I like trying new ones that come out and the Panini's are really good!  

:DJust some food for thought:D!!!

Kelly

Weight Lost This Week:  
Total Weight Lost:  
Lbs. to go:

Offline Jody

• View Profile
« Reply #278 on: 13/10/2006 19:44:54 »
Hi George - I think you and I have a problem with semantics (perhaps UK English vs. US English? ;)) because I think we largely agree.  I would certainly agree that excess weight in and of itself is not a disease or illness. It must have an underlying cause, whether that be thyroid, some genetic disorder or "who knows what."  And I would also completely agree that a person who overeats, doesn't exercise and is generally a "couch potato" is going to gain weight.  But I also believe that a person who can only control their weight by virtual starvation and enormous quantities of exercise has a medical problem that needs to be addressed, even if that person is considered "healthy" in all other ways.

For example, one might argue that a slow metabolism is not a disease.  But when a metabolism is slow enough to cause serious obesity, it is, in my opinion, SOMETHING (disease[?] illness[?] condition[?] [xx(]) that needs to be corrected.  Is the slow metabolism a symptom of something else? Maybe. That's what research is all about.

Karen - You are SO FORTUNATE that you have a doctor who really looks out for you.  :D (My personal experience with doctors hasn't been too great. :() Thyroid problems are terrifically difficult to detect by standard tests - the so-called "normal" range is HUGE!!  So I think its wonderful that you're getting the help that you need.

Kelly - I'm thrilled that the phentermine is working for you.  :D I found that it worked for me for a few weeks but eventually stopped having any effect.  [V] I understand that you only have to worry about it becoming addictive if you keep increasing the dosage as the effects subside.  I've never heard of anyone having to be "weaned" off of it, since by the time most people quit taking it, its effectiveness has pretty much ended.  Of course, EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT, so talk to your doctor and BE CAREFUL!

BTW, I love Lean Cuisine too!  I just wish so many of their meals weren't some sort of Italian dish.  I LOVE Italian, but I do get tired of it after awhile.

Jody

Offline tootsie78

• View Profile
« Reply #279 on: 14/10/2006 04:52:11 »
Kelly,
Really, a person is only supposed to be on Phentermine for 13 weeks, & then take a 13 week break, & then be on it again if needed.  BUT!  A lot of people stay on it longer, especially if they get it online. I have personally been on mine 15 weeks today. I don't feel like I'm "addicted" to it, but I really can't imagine going off of it cuz I don't want to feel hungry all the time again, ya kwim???  About 2 weeks or so ago, I started feeling like it wasn't working too well on my appetite anymore, so I upped my dosage a week ago to 1 1/2 pills/day.  I have noticed a HUUUUGE difference & am loving it!!!  :D  But...I still gotta snap back to reality & realize that I can NOT be on these the rest of my life!  I at LEAST wanna stay on them through the holidays though, cuz that scares me BAAAAD!!!  :(  TOOOOO  many sweets around at that time of year!  [:I]
Have you noticed your sweet cravings are gone???  I know a LOT of ppl say they notice that their sweet cravings disappear while on Phen, & I must say, I noticed a DRASTIC difference!!!  It was NICE!

~Joy~

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: 14/10/2006 12:47:34 »
Hi Joy, Kelly, And George, BTW George, Thanks for the "BTW"! LOL I am glad to see you come to the zeta thread.. your story is very much like many of ours as far as Our weight history goes.

Everyone have a great weekend and do something fun and or relaxing this weekend, make it for your own mental health!! Enjoy yourself!!

Karen

Offline kkeegs

• View Profile
« Reply #281 on: 15/10/2006 19:42:41 »
HI EVERYONE!

Thanks Jody & Joy for the info on Phentermine.

Joy:  How many mg do you take in one pill?  I take the 37.5.  I hope mine will keep working for 15 weeks.  I can't believe what a difference it has made.  My eating is under control - you're right - I don't even think about sweets and I know I'm losing weight.  I am almost afraid to feel hopeful that this may actually work for me.  My husband is taking it also and his "grazing" is gone!  He is eating A LOT less and feels great.  The only negative thing I can say about it is I do feel tension.  I notice I clinch my jaw sometimes.  I think exercise helps me reduce this.

I have been walking on the treadmill everyday and I bring my laptop and put it next to my treadmill on a table.  I then plug in earphone and watch a movie while I am walking.  This had made such a huge difference for me.  My time flies by so much faster and I look forward to the exercise so that I can see what happens next in the movie.

I currently have been watching "Meet the Fockers" and I'm laughing out loud while I'm walking because there are a lot of funny parts.  It has made exercising fun for me.  It is hard to stop the movie when my walk is done but I make myself because then I can't wait to find out what happens the next day!  I don't know what I'll do when I run out of movies but this works well for now.

I ate at a nice Steakhouse yesterday and I did excellent.  I want to lose the weight so bad that I didn't ruin it by eating the things I normally would.  I got a filet and steamed vegetables.  I had a tiny piece of bread with a little butter.  I was really proud of myself.  It was an accomplishment for me.  

I hope everyone is doing well this weekend and enjoying the time off from "the rat race"!

I'll report in tomorrow to see how much I lost this week.  I'm actually excited about it!!  :D

Kelly

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: 16/10/2006 00:11:22 »
I used to watch movies while I pedaled my stationary bike it was nice as I love movies too.. will see you all tomorrow for weigh in, I must remember to weigh in... Jeesh !! Love to all Karen!

Karen
« Last Edit: 16/10/2006 09:50:32 by Karen W. »

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: 16/10/2006 09:55:56 »
MONDAY MORNING WEIGH IN

Karen = 102 lbs

FOR GRAND TOTAL LOSS OF 102 lbs

Hey every one I am trying to be good and get back on track again..  Love to all and have a great day, I will see you all after work.. have a great Monday and smile, Mondays can be great too! Miss you all!

Karen

Offline kkeegs

• View Profile
« Reply #284 on: 16/10/2006 16:30:06 »
MONDAY MORNING WEIGH IN

Karen = 102 lbs
Kelly = 4 lbs.

Weight Lost This Week:  
Total Weight Lost:  
Lbs. to go:

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #285 on: 17/10/2006 04:47:58 »
Good Job everyone, I hope you all did well today!! YAYYYYYY!

Karen

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: 18/10/2006 07:22:02 »
How was everyones Tuesday... HAVE YOU ALL HAD A GREAT DAY??

Karen

Offline kkeegs

• View Profile
« Reply #287 on: 18/10/2006 17:56:20 »
Hi Everyone!

Hi Karen!

Boy the posts are slim lately.  I also noticed the site seems bogged down.  I lost a post I tried to do yesterday.

I hope everyone is having a great week.  I am still doing excellent with the phentermine.  I eat only 3 meals a day - and I'm not hungry all the time.  I love it!  It is my TOM this week and so far no weight seems to have come off but I'm doing everything I can do calorie wise and I'm exercising so I'll wait and see what happens.  I am a result based person though.  I need to see the scale go down!

I'll check in later!:D

Kelly

Starting Weight:  202 lbs.
Current Weight:  198 lbs.
Weight Lost This Week: 4 lbs.
Total Weight Lost: 4 lbs.
Lbs. to go: 58

Offline moonfire

• Neilep Level Member
  • Can't stand the heat, step away from the fire!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.m2global.com/stormdiamonds
« Reply #288 on: 19/10/2006 04:53:33 »
The site moves as slow as my weight dropping off

"Just Me, Lo" Loretta

Offline tootsie78

• View Profile
« Reply #289 on: 20/10/2006 01:02:39 »
MONDAY MORNING WEIGH IN

Karen = 102 lbs
Kelly = 4 lbs.
Joy = 31.5 lbs.

Sorry guys...better late than never!!!  LOL!  :D

~Joy~

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: 20/10/2006 04:42:23 »
YEAH JOY AND KELLY... Good Job.. I can't even discuss late I missed weigh in twice... not good. I think a while back, I might have missed it alot more..We are all doing well... I know this is a tad early, but everyone have a safe weekend and try to be happy and healthy.. Best wishes and miss all of you other wonderful ladies and gents here in the zeta thread... be well!

Karen

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: 20/10/2006 13:57:24 »
Happy Friday!

Karen

Offline tootsie78

• View Profile
« Reply #292 on: 20/10/2006 18:59:33 »
HAPPY FRIDAY EVERYBODY!!!  HOPE EVERYONE HAS A GRRRRRRREAT WEEKEND!!!  :D

~Joy~

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: 21/10/2006 04:43:46 »
YOU TO JOY!  LOretta I know what you mean!! HAppy Weekend!!

Karen

Offline moonfire

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: 21/10/2006 05:07:42 »
I am trying to be happy...LOL

"Just Me, Lo" Loretta

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: 23/10/2006 06:34:04 »
Oh Loretta I hope all is well.. What else is happening my friend? Are there more complications at work? Deny?

Karen

Offline moonfire

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: 23/10/2006 06:46:27 »
Denny has not been calling as frequently...I think i am only getting about 5-6 calls a week now...complications seem to be heightened at the moment...but it will work itself out...what about you?  What is new with you?

"Just Me, Lo" Loretta

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: 23/10/2006 06:57:57 »
Nothing new, still teary, just trying to stay busy.. It's very hard I know you know what I mean... Complications with work, or Deny? I am going a bit stir crazy today as the forum was down until about 10:22 pm this evening.. I know you know.. It has driven me nuts all Day! I went to town late and then had chineese food. Made chicken Kieve yesterday for 8, and ended up more. I am glad I made plenty!Then finally deleted several posts...a few moments ago... you know the routine!
 How was church today LOretta? Loretta do you mind me asking what religion you are as I am just curious? How's mom's alergies today? WAs the weather nice for the weekend there? I missed you today and yesterday!

Karen

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: 23/10/2006 08:50:34 »

Chicken Rolls Kiev

3 Whole Chicken breasts, skinned, boned, halved
Juice from ½ lemon
Salt
2 Tablespoons butter
½ Cup flour
1 egg, beaten with 1 Tablespoon of Water
1 Cup dry fine Italian seasoned bread crumbs
Oil, for Deep Frying
Sour Cream, for garnish
Paprika for garnish
Finely chopped Green Onions also for garnish, (optional)

Pound each half chicken breast very thin between 2 sheets of wax paper. Sprinkle with Lemon juice and salt. Place a teaspoon of butter on each, and roll each up tightly closing ends on beginning part to enclose butter in side. Make sure sides are tucked in well to encase the butter completely. Roll in flour, then in egg beaten with water, then in Bread Crumbs. Press crumbs into meat so that each roll is completely coated. Refrigerate until chilled. Pour oil into wok to a 3inch depth. Heat oil to 375 degrees F. or (191 Degrees C) or until a one inch cube of bread dropped into oil browns in about 60 seconds. With tongs, lower 2 or 3 chicken rolls into hot oil and fry about 4 minutes until deep golden brown. Drain on paper towel. Arrange on warm plates and spoon a little sour cream over each serving. Sprinkle with paprika and finely chopped onions if you like. Serve at once. Makes six chicken rolls. If you use a deep fryer, set it to 375 and then do 4 at a time. If they are pretty big breasts, leave them for 5 minutes instead of 4 minutes.

Karen

Offline Jody

• View Profile
« Reply #299 on: 23/10/2006 17:34:54 »
Mmmmmmmm, Chicken Kiev sounds wonderful!

MONDAY MORNING WEIGH IN

Jody = 6 lbs

FOR GRAND TOTAL LOSS OF 6 lbs

Yes, I finally got up the nerve to step on the scale, and BOY was I surprised! Not only have I NOT gained anything (even though I've been eating like a little piggy) I've actually LOST 6 pounds! I've made some interesting changes in the last week.  Thought some of you might be interested in the story.

To begin at the beginning, I lost almost ALL the weight I wanted to lose (within 5 pounds!) with Phen-Fen (before the OTC diet industry forced its recall) then promptly regained it plus 10 more pounds.  Sigh…

About 2 years ago, I found a doctor in Temeculah, California (less than 10 miles from where I USED to live.  Doesn’t that just figure?) who was having Phen-Fen-like results with various drug combinations, primarily phentermine and one of the many available anti-depressants.  This doctor wouldn’t take me as a patient because of the distance, but recommended I contact my local bariatric physician (BP) for help.

My local BP claimed to be using drug therapy for weight loss, but actually only prescribed phentermine which, as we know, wears off after awhile.  After 10 months I was still 20 pounds from my goal, down to 800 calories/day and a loss of less than 1 pound/month.  She then informed me that she was going to discontinue the phentermine and I should be able to lose the last 20 pounds – plus maintenance – with diet and exercise.  Obviously, this woman was not too well connected to reality.

Over the next year I regained 25 pounds.  I was in a panic!  (Particularly since, in a fit of unbridled optimism, I had given away all my “fat” clothes.)  That’s when I found Zetacaps (and this forum!)  The Zeta’s help, but not enough to be a definitive answer.  I’m still much too hungry too much of the time.

Joy and Kelly’s use of phentermine made me start thinking about the whole Phen-Fen thing again.  I remembered that my regular doctor had prescribed Wellbutrin for me for a time.  W is an antidepressant that has been on the market for years.  It's very popular because it doesn't have the sexual side effects that some antidepressants have.  (Zoloft made my sex life merely a distant memory - thank goodness I got off THAT stuff.  I may be 50 but I'm not DEAD!!)  W works by increasing/balancing/stabilizing some of the neurotransmitters in your brain, notably norepenephrine, dopamine and serotonin.  This is largely the same thing fenfleuramine and duxfenfleuramine (the "Fen" in Phen-Fen) did.  So, theoretically, you should be able to combine phentermine and W and get Phen-Fen-like results.  So far, so good…

I hadn’t taken the W since April, and when I tried to refill my prescription, my insurance company wouldn't cover it.  They wanted me to see my doctor again (to the tune of $200/office visit.)  The uninsured price for Wellbutrin (here, anyway) is $178/30 days.  Totally unacceptable.  I went on-line to see if I could get it from an on-line pharmacy.

I found a site that sells something they refer to as a "natural Wellbutrin," called "beCalm'd."  It is an amino acid supplement that ALSO increases/balances/stabilizes those same brain neurotransmitters.  Actually, I didn't buy the "beCalm'd," I purchased another product of theirs called "neu-Replenish," which is designed to target the norepenephrine, dopamine and serotonin levels a little more directly.  Will the stuff work?  Beats me.  But at $84.75 (including overnight shipping,) compared to $178 plus doctor visit, I was willing to give it a try.

So that left the phentermine half of the equation.  I placed an order with an on-line pharmacy that required you to give them your doctor’s name and contact information, which I did.  They then called my doctor for a prescription, which my doctor promptly refused, OF COURSE!!  (She won’t prescribe phentermine under ANY circumstances. – Now seriously, if my doctor would prescribe the stuff would I be buying it on-line?  Hello?)  So at this point, I don’t know what is going to happen with the phentermine.  The site claimed that they have their own doctors, and I filled out all of their forms, so maybe someone else will approve it for me.  Or maybe I’ve just thrown away $112 (for 3 months, including shipping) since they state very clearly that there are NO REFUNDS, and if they can’t get you approved for the phentermine, they’ll send their “herbal phentermine” in its place – for the same price, of course. [:(!]

I had about 10 phentermine capsules left over from my BP experience, so I’ve been taking them along with the “neu-Replenish.”  So far, I still get extremely hungry, but I’m full with very little food.  This is the same sort of results I had with the Phen-Fen, BUT I’ve only been on the phentermine a few days, so don’t know how long the effects will last.

I have also found (by sending out letters to every BP I could find within 50 miles) 3 doctors who claim to have the same philosophy/methods as the doctor in California.  If the phentermine wears off and/or I can’t get any more, I’ll make an appointment with one of them.  I’ll keep you informed.

Sorry this post is so long, but I thought you all would like to know what I’m doing, particularly if it works!  The fact that half of this “drug therapy” is natural amino acids appeals to me hugely.  Keep your fingers crossed!!

Jody

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #299 on: 23/10/2006 17:34:54 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length