The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Is it possible to create a machine that produces crude oil?  (Read 3472 times)

Offline greenslime

• View Profile
Not a machine that creates a synthetic type of crude oil but a machine that you put dead organisms in to and then it gets heated and put under extreme pressure over a period of time. I suppose a machine that is capable of creating crude oil the same way natural crude oil is made but in a speeded up version?

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
Is it possible to create a machine that produces crude oil?
« Reply #1 on: 29/03/2010 18:04:55 »
I'm not sure, but I think you might have to wait rather a long time for it to work.

On the other hand, some people are working on using the dreaded E. coli bacterium  (suitably modified of course) to chomp through cellulose and produce biodiesel - directly - no refining required. Let's hope they pull it off as this would allow a lot of agricultural waste to be converted into fuel. And, it would be carbon neutral.

Offline LeeE

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Spatial
« Reply #2 on: 29/03/2010 18:37:56 »
Such a machine would use more energy creating the stuff than could be obtained from actually using it.  If it were otherwise, you'd essentially be getting energy from nowhere.

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 29/03/2010 20:01:47 »
Such a machine would use more energy creating the stuff than could be obtained from actually using it. 

Lee, I'm struggling with that a bit. I'm not disagreeing with you - I'd just like to understand the process.

I was wondering if we might take advantage of deep sea pressure to obtain the desired compression, although I suspect it might be insufficient.

Offline LeeE

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Spatial
« Reply #4 on: 30/03/2010 08:06:42 »
Natural crude oil took a lot of energy to create, in the form of heat from the Earth, as well as pressure.  That heat from the Earth didn't cost us anything as it was happening anyway, so from our point of view there's an energy gain, even after the energy cost of refining it.  However, if we had to also provide the energy to create the crude, as well as refine it, there'd be a net energy loss to us.

Offline greenslime

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 30/03/2010 22:03:55 »
Would it not be possible then to use a machine that uses the earth's heat or would the material be too weak and melt?

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 30/03/2010 22:19:39 »
Natural crude oil took a lot of energy to create, in the form of heat from the Earth, as well as pressure.  That heat from the Earth didn't cost us anything as it was happening anyway, so from our point of view there's an energy gain, even after the energy cost of refining it.  However, if we had to also provide the energy to create the crude, as well as refine it, there'd be a net energy loss to us.

Ah! It has to "cook" for a while too. Thanks!

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #6 on: 30/03/2010 22:19:39 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length