The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Life without a gallbladder?  (Read 4106 times)

Offline Jessica H

• View Profile
    • Growing Southern
Life without a gallbladder?
« on: 30/03/2010 16:54:08 »
Removal of the gallbladder seems pretty common.  If the gallbladder holds the bile, how can a person digest fats without a gallbladder?  So what happens if a person without a gallbladder eats a really fatty meal? 

Offline christopher.nipper

• First timers
    • View Profile
Re: Life without a gallbladder?
« Reply #1 on: 24/03/2015 10:51:51 »
If a person tries to eat a fatty meal after gallbladder surgery, his/her body may not be able to digest it well. He/she may experience diarrhea, abdominal bloating and excess gas in the form of belching and/or flatulence. The diarrhea may be severe enough that you can't control it well.

Offline evan_au

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 24/03/2015 20:21:24 »
I was talking to someone recently about a gall bladder removal. The gall bladder stores bile until it is required.
What I didn't realize before that conversation is that the liver still has a steady production of bile (a liquid which assists the digestion of fats), and so a limited amount of fats can still be digested.
Gall bladder removal may require some diet modification.

Offline christopher.nipper

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 30/03/2015 10:27:57 »
You can also read these articles.. for more information about the special diet after gallbladder removal.
newbielink:http://galdbladderhelp.com/what-type-food-suggested-after-gallbladder-surgery [nonactive]
newbielink:http://galdbladderhelp.com/what-recommended-diet-after-gallbladder-surgery [nonactive]

That was very helpful to me when I had my gallbladder removed.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #3 on: 30/03/2015 10:27:57 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums