The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: What are the major effects of global warming?  (Read 4418 times)

Offline greenslime

• View Profile
What are the major effects of global warming?
« on: 30/03/2010 22:20:55 »
=]

Offline ftustorm

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 31/03/2010 09:39:03 »
I see a gloomy future with your say

Offline greenslime

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 03/04/2010 21:51:44 »
What does that mean?

Offline yor_on

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • (Ah, yes:) *a table is always good to hide under*
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 18/04/2010 21:16:22 »
Here is a report of the expected Global Climate Change Impacts on USA, according to the USGCRP Scientific Assessments 2009. It's optimistic, overly so if you ask me, but it has to be :) He** who ever would read it otherwise? We need to know before we can react, right? So they would really really like you US citizens to actually read it, you know, before you tell me what a pack of lies it contains. America is so strange to me. So much good science, and so many natives disregarding all what it tells them?

A Country of contradictions :)
But you're not alone, seems like most Politicians, all over the world, find climate research as being somewhat uncomfortable. Actually demanding a change, we don't like changes, not when they hit our wallets. And it's difficult to make the climate to go away, no matter how we present it..

USA

Offline litespeed

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 05/05/2010 21:28:22 »
Green - To be more specific to the question at hand. Warm is good. Cold is bad. Look it up!

Offline JimBob

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 06/05/2010 00:47:33 »
The member above has been banned for the use of vulgarity in a post. As a result, two of his post have been deleted, both for the same insulting type of content.

NO MATTER WHAT YOUR VIEW ON ANY SUBJECT, VULGARITY IS ABSOLUTELY UNACCEPTABLE!

WE WILL NOT TOLERATE THIS ABUSE!
« Last Edit: 06/05/2010 00:56:09 by JimBob »

Offline norcalclimber

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 06/05/2010 17:23:27 »
Here is a report of the expected Global Climate Change Impacts on USA, according to the USGCRP Scientific Assessments 2009. It's optimistic, overly so if you ask me, but it has to be :) He** who ever would read it otherwise? We need to know before we can react, right? So they would really really like you US citizens to actually read it, you know, before you tell me what a pack of lies it contains. America is so strange to me. So much good science, and so many natives disregarding all what it tells them?

A Country of contradictions :)
But you're not alone, seems like most Politicians, all over the world, find climate research as being somewhat uncomfortable. Actually demanding a change, we don't like changes, not when they hit our wallets. And it's difficult to make the climate to go away, no matter how we present it..

USA

Why the anti-American sentiment?  I can see that JimBob deleted some posts, so perhaps I am missing what you were responding too?  I know I'm not calling it a pack of lies, rather I simply lean a different direction than you do.  Your opinion is that it is overly optimistic, my opinion is that it is overly pessimistic.  But as far as the number of Americans who simply deny good science and call it a pack of lies without reading it.... from my personal experience as an American, that number is very few.  Surely Americans are not the only people of whom a there is a subset which ignores science? 

There is also a subset of Americans which go around telling everybody that Americans are stupid, so perhaps that is where your view comes from?  I am honestly curious where your view of Americans stems from?

In every branch of science I have seen, there are multiple points of view which have good science behind them.  But good science sometimes leads us to conclusions which are false, which is why we have the peer review system.  So if your basis is that some people disagree with some of the conclusions....that would be a poor one, because conclusions based on good science do not always represent certainty and may in fact be wrong.  This is why scientists are so hesitant to call something "proven", and should always remember that they may be wrong.  I remember being taught in school that when a scientist forms a hypothesis, his next task is to try to prove it wrong, not to try to prove it right.

Offline ericcarter13

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 18/06/2010 14:31:09 »
There are Various major effects of global warming.
1.) Local climate change
2.) Water crisis
3.) Spread of disease
4.) Sea level is rising
5.) Economic consequences

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #7 on: 18/06/2010 14:31:09 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums