The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Is the big bang still happening?  (Read 2699 times)

Offline jloken

• First timers
    • View Profile
Is the big bang still happening?
« on: 03/04/2010 23:41:53 »
I know that this question has come up before but I think I am looking at it from a slightly different angle.  I know that the galaxies are speeding up as they move through the universe instead of slowing down as one would think.  Could it be that instead of a big bang the process is more like if someone were to turn on a water faucet?  Perhaps a constant stream of matter being shot out into space expanding in all directions?  I figure that if supermassive black holes exist why not something similar in nature but pushing matter into the universe instead of sending matter wherever black holes send matter to. 

As I'm sure you can tell I'm no scientist, just curious.

Thank you very much for any input, this has been bugging me for a few days now.

Offline yor_on

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • (Ah, yes:) *a table is always good to hide under*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 08/04/2010 02:36:53 »
If that was true the universe would become increasingly massive, wouldn't it? And what about what we call a vacuum? Would it be a vacuum then?

Offline Soul Surfer

• Neilep Level Member
  • keep banging the rocks together
    • View Profile
    • ian kimber's web workspace
« Reply #2 on: 08/04/2010 09:45:36 »
Your thoughts bear some similarity to the "continuous creation" cosmology proposed by Fred Hoyle around sixty years ago.  These sorts of cosmologies in which the universe is expanding but always looks the same have been refuted by observation the observations of the behaviour of the universe at great distances (i.e. a long time ago) clearly show that the universe in the past was very different to what it is today.  and models of the way a genuinely expanding universe would behave are accurate right back to the first few microseconds so such models do not have any credibility until you can explain all the observations with your new model

Offline jloken

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10/04/2010 20:39:42 »
Thank you!  That's what I wanted to know.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #3 on: 10/04/2010 20:39:42 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums