The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Can stem cells from either gender become sperm or eggs?  (Read 4352 times)

Offline Larry Williams

• First timers
    • View Profile
Larry Williams asked the Naked Scientists:

Dr Karl referred me to you as he feels he is a generalist and Chris would be able to answer my question better.

Last year Stanford University in California created Germ cells from Embryonic Stem cells.  The logical conclusion is that the next step would be to create sperm or egg cells.

My question then is, "Are germ cells gender specific (ie a germ cell from a man is not the same as a germ cell from a woman) or is a germ cell a germ cell a germ cell?" Meaning that at some point in the future could it be possible to take a stem cell from a man and create an egg cell or take a stem cell from a woman and create a sperm cell?

So are we one step closer to test tube babies for gay and lesbian couples.  

Of course a lesbian couple can only have girl off spring and a gay couple would require a surrogate to hold the zygote, but could have a boy or girl.  

The only questioned they'd have is: Who's your daddy?

What do you think?
« Last Edit: 11/04/2010 11:30:04 by _system »

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Can stem cells from either gender become sperm or eggs?
« Reply #1 on: 11/04/2010 14:02:52 »
Apparently something similar has been done with mice, (rather inefficiently) ...

A mammal that is the daughter of two female parents has been created for the first time.

Until now such a feat had been considered biologically impossible. But the mouse, called Kaguya, was born without the involvement of any sperm or male cell - only female eggs were needed.

Kaguya and one sister were the only live animals resulting from 457 reconstructed eggs.
http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn4909-virgin-birth-mammal-rewrites-rules-of-biology.html
« Last Edit: 11/04/2010 14:04:30 by RD »

Offline Variola

• Neilep Level Member
  • Everyone should beware of The Pox...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12/04/2010 12:52:15 »
Larry Williams asked the Naked Scientists:

Dr Karl referred me to you as he feels he is a generalist and Chris would be able to answer my question better.

Last year Stanford University in California created Germ cells from Embryonic Stem cells.  The logical conclusion is that the next step would be to create sperm or egg cells.

My question then is, "Are germ cells gender specific (ie a germ cell from a man is not the same as a germ cell from a woman) or is a germ cell a germ cell a germ cell?" Meaning that at some point in the future could it be possible to take a stem cell from a man and create an egg cell or take a stem cell from a woman and create a sperm cell?

So are we one step closer to test tube babies for gay and lesbian couples. 

Of course a lesbian couple can only have girl off spring and a gay couple would require a surrogate to hold the zygote, but could have a boy or girl. 

The only questioned they'd have is: Who's your daddy?

What do you think?

Very good question.

Lets hope Chris can answer this one soon!

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #2 on: 12/04/2010 12:52:15 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length