The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Schizophrenia  (Read 4599 times)

Offline cmlewis23

• First timers
    • View Profile
Schizophrenia
« on: 16/12/2005 18:19:22 »
Hi my name is Chris Lewis.  I am really anxious at the moment !!  I keep seeing things floating in front of my eyes all of the time and sometimes I think I am hearing things.  I can not however ever tell what the voices are saying most of the time but I sometimes feel as though I need to find where sounds are coming from to try and put my mind at rest !!  When I get anxious I also sometimes feel a little confused.  I am on my own through most of the day from Monday to Friday and do feel a bit lonely.  Can anyone please tell me whether I may be developing Schnizophrnia ?

Also it scares me to think if I get schizophrenia and may have to go into a mental hospital which I would really not be able to cope with !!

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
Re: Schizophrenia
« Reply #1 on: 16/12/2005 19:02:36 »
Chris...first of all , stop panicking !!...I know that is so much easier said than done but try.

secondly, I think it's very difficult, even for an expert, to diagnose a problem like this here. You just need to get down to your GP for a check up. Will you do that and let us know how you get on ?

It's worth noting that the fact you are most of the time alone and thatyou become anxious may have something to do with it.PLEASE see your GP and do not worry.

As a side note...I suffer from panic/anxiety attacks too...and boy do they make you feel you're losing your mind...so I'm hoping with you (like me) it's just a stress related symptom.

Good luck and look out for other comments here too.

Men are the same as women.... just inside out !!

Offline DoctorBeaver

• A stitch in time would have confused Einstein.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 16/12/2005 20:36:14 »
I concur totally with Neil. It's not something to diagnose in a forum. Get to your GP.

Offline Solvay_1927

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 17/12/2005 02:07:10 »
quote:
Also it scares me to think if I get schizophrenia and may have to go into a mental hospital which I would really not be able to cope with !!

Chris, don't be put off going to your GP just because you're worried that you might get sent to a mental hospital. Bear in mind that:
a) There's a very good chance that it's not schizophrenia - your symptoms could easily be caused by something else, and your GP could help you identify what it is.
b) Most cases of mental illness (including, I assume, schizophrenia) get treated without having to resort to residential care.
c) I believe most people in residential care for mental illness are there by consent, they're not forced to stay there.

Are there any psychiatrists (or psychologists - Eth??) on the forum who can help to reassure Chris on this point?

Offline DoctorBeaver

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 17/12/2005 04:11:47 »
Yes, Paul... I certainly can reassure him.

As was stated, there are many things apart from schizophrenia that could cause the symptoms you say you have. Even high blood pressure can cause it. That can put pressure on certain nerves which, in turn, can induce false stimuli.
In any case, even if (& it's a big if) it does turn out to be schizophrenia, the vast majority of sufferers are treated in the community. There are medications that, while they don't actually cure the problem, at least stop the symptoms. Medication plus psychiatric/psychological therapy can be very effective. Even fairly severe cases of paranoid schizophrenia don't necessarily involve in-patient treatment.
I won't bother going into details about schizophrenia or the methods of treatment, but take it from a so-called "professional", it's not as bad as urban myths would have you believe.
1 thing I will say, though... you obviously realise that the voices are not real. That, to me, says that it's not schizophrenia. It may be something as simple as a problem with your auditory system. I know personally of someone who had a small, benign cyst in their inner ear that caused them to imagine they were hearing voices. Dr Chris is better qualified than me to comment on the possible physiological causes.
Any kind of false stimulus can cause confusion; it's perfectly understandable if you know the physiology or neurology involved.
May I ask if you are in, or have recently been in, a stressful situation? Stress can cause many problems and visual or auditory hallucinations are not uncommon for people who are, or who have been, under stress. How about your sleep patterns? It's well established that lack of sleep can cause the same effects.
I stand by my previous advice, though. See your GP. Chances are, what you have is a physiological problem that can be very easily sorted out.

another_someone

« Reply #5 on: 19/12/2005 21:48:51 »
quote:
Originally posted by cmlewis23

I am not a doctor, and some of the others who have answered, I believe, are medical doctors; the only thing is that my understanding of the law (and I am neither a lawyer) is it is damned difficult to section someone you have to demonstrate that they actually pose a risk to the community.  If you have not been causing a nuisance of yourself to other people, then I cannot see this as being a likely possibility.

Offline DoctorBeaver

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 19/12/2005 22:07:23 »
another_someone - A person can also be sectioned if there are good grounds for believing they may harm themselves. However, as you corrctly stated, it is very difficult to get someone sectioned under the Mental Health Act; even more so these days as so many psychiatric beds have disappeared.
Give me a few minutes & I'll try to dig out the appropriate part of the Act
« Last Edit: 19/12/2005 22:20:37 by DoctorBeaver »

Offline DoctorBeaver

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 19/12/2005 22:26:29 »
Section 2
Admission for Assessment

Summary
    Section 2 provides the authority for someone to be detained in hospital for assessment. It requires an Application which is based on two Medical Recommendations.
Duration
    Up to 28 days. There is no provision for this section to be renewed or extended. The imposition of a second Section 2 immediately after the end of the initial 28 days is not explicitly prohibited in the Act, but would be extremely bad practice. The 28-day period is intended to give sufficient time for an assessment of the person's mental health difficulties to be made. If continued detention is required, then Section 3 should be used.
Conditions
    The grounds for the Application, as stated in the Act, are that the person:

* is suffering from mental disorder of a nature or degree which warrants the detention of the patient in a hospital for assessment (or for assessment followed by medical treatment) for at least a limited period; and
        * he ought to be so detained in the interests of his own health or safety or with a view to the protection of other persons.

Notes
    This Section will typically be used when someone is compulsorily admitted to hospital for the first time, or on subsequent admissions where there is a considerable gap of time between periods in hospital. If a person is well known to a psychiatric service and relatively little specific assessment is needed, then they may be admitted under Section 3 - for treatment. Section 2 also provides for treatment during or following the assessment, but for the limited 28-day period.

Section 3
Admission for Treatment

Summary
    Section 3 provides the authority for someone to be detained in hospital for treatment. It requires an Application which is based on two Medical Recommendations.
Duration
    Up to 6 months initially. This Section may be renewed for a further 6 months and then for a year at a time.
Conditions
    The grounds for the Application, as stated in the Act, are that person:

* is suffering from mental illness, severe mental impairment, pschopathic disorder or mental impairment and his mental disorder is of a nature or degree which make it appropriate for him to receive medical treatment in a hospital; and
        * in the case of pschopathic disorder or mental impairment, such treatment is likely to alleviate or prevent a deterioration of his condition; and
        * it is necessary for the health or safety of the patient or for the protection of other persons that he should receive such treatment and it cannot be provided unless he is detained under this Section.

Notes
    This Section will typically be used following a Section 2 when extended treatment is required. It will also commonly be used in cases where someone, and their mental health difficulties, are well-known to the hospital. Therefore, a firm treatment plan, rather than open-ended assessment, can take place early in the period of detention.
    A Section 3 cannot normally be imposed if the Nearest Relative objects

Section 4
Emergency Admission for Assessment

Summary
    Section 4 is intended for emergency admissions, where if it were not for the extreme urgency, a Section 2 would be appropriate. A Section 4 requires only one medical recommendation, compared with two for a Section 2. An Application has to be made, based on that single Medical Recommendation.
Duration
    Up to 72 hours. During that time, if a second Medical Recommendation is made, the Section 4 effectively converts into a Section 2.
Conditions
    The grounds for the Application are the same as for Section 2, that the person:

* is suffering from mental disorder of a nature or degree which warrants the detention of the patient in a hospital for assessment (or for assessment followed by medial treatment) for at least a limited period; and
        * he ought to be so detained in the interests of his own health and safety or with a view to the protection of other persons.

However, in addition, it must be stated that:

* it is of urgent necessity for the patient to be admitted and detained under Section 2, and
        * that compliance with the usual Section 2 requirements (that is, getting a second Medical Recommendation) would involve "undesirable delay".

Notes
    Section 4 offers less protection to citizens against unjustified detention because only one doctor has to recommend the compulsory admission under the Act. The doctor should be someone who either knows the patient, or who is recognised under Section 12 of the Act.
    Section 4 has been mis-used at times, as an administrative convenience. It is easier for the professionals involved if only one doctor has to visit the patient in the community. The second doctor required for a Section 2 can then see the person in hospital after a Section 4 admission. The Mental Health Act Commission has been very critical of such an attitude. The Act clearly intends Section 4 only to be used in cases of genuine emergency.

(the above extracts c/o  http://www.hyperguide.co.uk/mha/contents.htm

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 22/12/2005 19:50:37 »
quote:
Originally posted by cmlewis23

Hi my name is Chris Lewis.  I am really anxious at the moment !!  I keep seeing things floating in front of my eyes all of the time and sometimes I think I am hearing things.  I can not however ever tell what the voices are saying most of the time but I sometimes feel as though I need to find where sounds are coming from to try and put my mind at rest !!  When I get anxious I also sometimes feel a little confused.  I am on my own through most of the day from Monday to Friday and do feel a bit lonely.  Can anyone please tell me whether I may be developing Schnizophrnia ?

Any update Chris ...have you been to the doctor  [?][?]

Men are the same as women.... just inside out !!

Offline Titanscape

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 03/01/2006 04:46:16 »
If it is schizophrenia you should ask for the latest medications such as Zyprexa also called Olanzapine, which has very little side effects and helps one sleep.

Titanscape

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #9 on: 03/01/2006 04:46:16 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums