The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Time and Dark Energy?  (Read 4134 times)

Offline Mad Mark

• View Profile
Time and Dark Energy?
« on: 17/12/2005 01:01:50 »
Is time the same constant for a universe made of Hydrogen as that compared to say gold?
I ask this because I find it difficult to think of matter  being able to occupy the same position in space-time relative both to itself and all  matter in the universe and yet exist from one moment to the next.
And is time the same constant for all matter no matter what element it is, or do more complicated particles of matter carry a greater expansion in time and space.

Tomorrow lies outside our universe without it there would be no tomorrow.

Offline DoctorBeaver

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • A stitch in time would have confused Einstein.
    • View Profile
Re: Time and Dark Energy?
« Reply #1 on: 17/12/2005 01:16:21 »
You couldn't have a universe comprised of gold. Heavy elements (I believe heavier than lithium, although I could be wrong on that) are only produced inside stars & stars need hydrogen.

quote:
I ask this because I find it difficult to think of matter being able to occupy the same position in space-time relative both to itself and all matter in the universe and yet exist from one moment to the next

I'm not quite sure what you mean by that.

quote:
And is time the same constant for all matter no matter what element it is, or do more complicated particles of matter carry a greater expansion in time and space.

Heavier elements will have a greater gravitational field and GR says that gravity distorts spacetime. Therefore I think it's right to say that heavier elements will have a greater distorting effect on time than would lighter elements.

*sits back and waits for the physics genius that is GSMolin to clarify this*
« Last Edit: 17/12/2005 01:23:23 by DoctorBeaver »

Offline Mad Mark

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 17/12/2005 02:43:04 »
Gold was just an example.
My next question is more difficult but I will attempt to explain.
What laws dictate how our universe will exist tomorrow?
Is law number one  that it cannot occupy the same space that it previously existed in.
Expansion is the only option?
Are the fundimental building blocks time itself?
Would this imply that the greater the density of an object the greater the exeleration of time is needed to not break law number one.
What process does it use to copy itself (almost)a bit of quantum fluctuation creeping in.
Does gravity come from the universe now or is it from the fixed universes in the past?

Offline DoctorBeaver

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • A stitch in time would have confused Einstein.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 17/12/2005 03:01:01 »
quote:
What laws dictate how our universe will exist tomorrow?

We can only go by the laws of physics as we currently understand them. But even then, we aren't sure what will happen as we don't know for certain what the mass of the universe is. It could expand forever, it could reach a state and remain static from then on, or it could eventually collapse in on itself in a "Big Crunch"

quote:
Is law number one that it cannot occupy the same space that it previously existed in.

Did it previously exist?

quote:
Are the fundimental building blocks time itself?

Time is not separable from space. The 2 together make 1 continuum.

quote:
What process does it use to copy itself (almost)a bit of quantum fluctuation creeping in.

How can it copy itself? If any "copies" are made then they are outside of our universe.

quote:
Does gravity come from the universe now or is it from the fixed universes in the past?

That's a question and a half! It has been theorised that constants (including gravity) "leak" into our universe from somewhere. Whether that could ever be proved or not, who knows!?

Offline Soul Surfer

• Neilep Level Member
  • keep banging the rocks together
    • View Profile
    • ian kimber's web workspace
« Reply #4 on: 17/12/2005 11:27:52 »
Mark, your initial quuestion and suggestion is not clearly or completely stated and cannot be answered sensibly. please rephrase completely what you are trying to say and make sure you've got all the steps in your thinking clearly explaned and within everyday language

Learn, create, test and tell
evolution rules in all things
God says so!

Offline Mad Mark

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 17/12/2005 22:41:12 »
Thanks for all your relplies.
I think I chose the wrong phrase in using the word copy.Evolve would be a better word.But one answer is still bothering me. If tommorow was not outside our universe then we would still be in yesterdays!

Offline Soul Surfer

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 18/12/2005 00:13:00 »
All the main conservation laws require that if something exists it always exists.  OK processes can change the something to something else for example some mass into enrtgy but the rules say that the total energy of the universe is a constant at all times and these have never been known to have been violated and are the fundamental rules of science that are totally violated by many fantasy and science fiction stories.

God says so!

Offline Mad Mark

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 19/12/2005 01:43:29 »
That's all very well,and I agree with what you are saying ,but the universe is expanding and is not showing any sign of slowing down ever! If so called dark energy was the cause then the universe would require that to be infinet or free (something for nothing).
What I was trying to put across was I do not like the term dark energy one bit.
I like to think of it as being a law rather than a form of energy driving it.

Offline Soul Surfer

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 19/12/2005 08:07:22 »
Dark energy isn't really mysterious you can simply think of it as the energy possessed by particles of dark matter and dark matter is just stuff that is dispersed and only interacts using geavity.  see another topic on the expansion of the universe for more information shortly

God says so!

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #8 on: 19/12/2005 08:07:22 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums