The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Who am I?  (Read 36971 times)

Offline Eric A. Taylor

• I before E except after C, unless weird science
    • View Profile
Who am I?
« on: 17/04/2010 08:03:22 »
I am among the top 20 most famous scientists who have ever lived. Though I'm not remembered as a geologist I was the first to publish a paper showing that up lift (Rising of the earth that leads to mountains) is associated with earthquakes.

If you're reading this forum you have surly heard of me.

Offline L-Kira

• Who is so perfect ?
    • View Profile
Who am I?
« Reply #1 on: 20/04/2010 16:27:34 »
Hi Scientist, nice to meet you.
L-Kira.

Offline Eric A. Taylor

• I before E except after C, unless weird science
    • View Profile
Who am I?
« Reply #2 on: 17/05/2010 08:40:08 »
Apparently you are not getting that this is a game. Sadly it seems that all of you have never heard of my voyage on the HMS Beagle. I was Charles Darwin.

Offline CreativeEnergy

• View Profile
    • Eric's Journal
Who am I?
« Reply #3 on: 17/08/2010 02:03:58 »
Apparently you are not getting that this is a game. Sadly it seems that all of you have never heard of my voyage on the HMS Beagle. I was Charles Darwin.

I hadn't had the opportunity to see the post until now, Eric. I'm sorry I didn't before you gave the answer. You gave excellent clues! Bummer!  [:-'(]

Eric

Offline rupak447

• First timers
    • View Profile
Who am I?
« Reply #4 on: 21/03/2011 06:44:35 »
Actually, I am agree with the opinion of Mr. Taylor. Though, I am the member of this forum with newly introduced, I already know a lot about this scientist.

Offline damocles

• View Profile
Who am I?
« Reply #5 on: 26/06/2011 12:51:57 »
Here is another: I was a thirteenth child. I spent much of my life as a bigamist. I made some amazing predictions and prophecies. My work has largely dominated a field of science for 140 years (and often appears in classrooms and lecture halls).

Offline Airthumbs

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
Who am I?
« Reply #6 on: 26/06/2011 20:23:14 »
D.Mendeleev   ;D and if correct it should be known that different sources indicate that he was either one of 11,13,14 or 17 siblings......

Who am I?  Some of my work involved identifying the killer of silkworms. By body lies beneath an institute named after myself...... who am I?
« Last Edit: 26/06/2011 20:32:39 by Airthumbs »

Offline damocles

• View Profile
Who am I?
« Reply #7 on: 26/06/2011 22:48:11 »
 ;)
D.Mendeleev   ;D and if correct it should be known that different sources indicate that he was either one of 11,13,14 or 17 siblings......

Who am I?  Some of my work involved identifying the killer of silkworms. By body lies beneath an institute named after myself...... who am I?

Quite correct; I guess his mother was not as good a mathematician as Dmitri Ilyanovich!  ;)

One of his less well known, and more remarkable predictions was that young Marie Sklodowska (later Curie) would become a great scientist one day, at a time when a career in science was not a real option for women. (He was a friend of the family).

Offline Airthumbs

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
Who am I?
« Reply #8 on: 27/06/2011 15:42:07 »
Who am I?

Some of my work involved identifying the killer of silkworms. By body lies beneath an institute named after myself...... who am I?

Offline imatfaal

• Neilep Level Member
  • rouge moderator
    • View Profile
Who am I?
« Reply #9 on: 27/06/2011 17:14:06 »
That's a good one Airthumbs - don't know where I heard that he was involved in silkworms but maybe it was the same place!  I won't write the answer yet so that others can ask a few questions.

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
Who am I?
« Reply #10 on: 27/06/2011 19:12:59 »
Did he have something to do with milk?

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
Who am I?
« Reply #11 on: 27/06/2011 19:18:24 »
Who was responsible for giving an international standard the name of a Scottish river?

Offline damocles

• View Profile
Who am I?
« Reply #12 on: 27/06/2011 23:39:55 »
Who was responsible for giving an international standard the name of a Scottish river?

I think it was the Scottish engineer Russell (Rusty) MacHinery, who first used the Dee as a term for performance that was barely passable, on the borderline of total failure.

Offline Airthumbs

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
Who am I?
« Reply #13 on: 28/06/2011 00:05:24 »

Just a little something geezer.  Now that's given the game away!

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
Who am I?
« Reply #14 on: 28/06/2011 00:08:49 »

I think it was the Scottish engineer Russell (Rusty) MacHinery, who first used the Dee as a term for performance that was barely passable, on the borderline of total failure.

Are you sure you are not confusing him with his Irish cousin - Bill O'Materials?

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
Who am I?
« Reply #15 on: 28/06/2011 00:14:08 »

Yeah! I knew it was Professor Beauregard Vine. (Beau to his pals)

Offline Airthumbs

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
Who am I?
« Reply #16 on: 28/06/2011 10:17:17 »

Yeah! I knew it was Professor Beauregard Vine. (Beau to his pals)

I apologise if I am missing some kind of connection here but no, it is not anything to do with the Santa Cruz wine region!  Having done a little research I found a story about the vineyards being weed free! Given the location of this area in California that seems a little off the mark,  ;)

Having said that I think that part of a certain kind of wine making process would not be possible without the contribution of this scientist.

Offline Dr. Junix

• View Profile
Who am I?
« Reply #17 on: 29/06/2011 05:54:25 »
Is Benjamin Franklin under the category of "Scientist"?

Offline damocles

• View Profile
Who am I?
« Reply #18 on: 29/06/2011 07:04:41 »
Benjamin Franklin could certainly be recognised as a scientist. But which of the two balls that are currently juggling are you associating him with?
A lot of people have been hedging around with the silk/milk guy without giving a name. Many know the answer, and it certainly is not Franklin. 
But if Ben was into naming important things after Scottish rivers, then I am really interested to find out the detail. My previous silly reply was really a cop-out because I did not know the answer.

Offline Dr. Junix

• View Profile
Who am I?
« Reply #19 on: 29/06/2011 07:16:44 »
as you put it Mr. damocles, I am also unfamiliar with the answer which still leaves me stumped.
for all I could think when you say the word "silkworm killer" is Jeanette Sliwinski...

And pardon my asking if Benjamin Franklin is under the category of "Scientist", for all I know he may have been the one who invented lightning on a kite strung on a keychain.

Offline imatfaal

• Neilep Level Member
  • rouge moderator
    • View Profile
Who am I?
« Reply #20 on: 29/06/2011 10:20:44 »

Gonna need a clue - or if this was pun I am not seeing can you let me off the hook please!

Offline Airthumbs

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
Who am I?
« Reply #21 on: 29/06/2011 16:35:39 »

Was it King David II?

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
Who am I?
« Reply #22 on: 29/06/2011 16:57:19 »
A clue:

It was Willie Thomson.

(You're going to hate me for this  ;D)

Offline Airthumbs

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
Who am I?
« Reply #23 on: 29/06/2011 17:02:37 »
A clue:

It was Willie Thomson.

(You're going to hate me for this  ;D)

I have looked and looked and trawled through countless internet documentation but I still do not have a clue!  Even with the name!  Geezer you are going to have to spell it out including the name of the river?

Offline imatfaal

• Neilep Level Member
  • rouge moderator
    • View Profile
Who am I?
« Reply #24 on: 29/06/2011 17:18:20 »
Airthumbs - I reckon once we get the answer we might have to stake Geezer out behind the farting cows when we light up! 

edit cos it just clicked

William Thomson - aka Lord Kelvin

On his ennoblement in honour of his achievements in thermodynamics, and of his opposition to Irish Home Rule,[2][3][4] he adopted the title Baron Kelvin of Largs and is therefore often described as Lord Kelvin. He was the first UK scientist to be elevated to the House of Lords. The title refers to the River Kelvin, which flows close by his laboratory at the university of Glasgow, Scotland.
« Last Edit: 29/06/2011 17:20:58 by imatfaal »

The Naked Scientists Forum

Who am I?
« Reply #24 on: 29/06/2011 17:18:20 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length