The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Who am I?  (Read 36933 times)

Offline damocles

• View Profile
Re: Who am I?
« Reply #75 on: 10/10/2012 04:58:00 »
More recent than Mark Twain -- 1960s actually. And the American referred to is probably best known outside America as a sci fi author.

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: 19/10/2012 08:08:59 »
So it has been a few days since the thread was paralysed (significant word) by CliffordK's last offering. I will fire up again.

Uhhh...
Ohhh...

How medicine has changed from the beginning of the century.

Dr. Jonas Salk's invention of the Polio Vaccine has all but eliminated the need for Iron Lung wards.  And, he chose to donate the vaccine to humanity.  Polio has now been wiped out of most of the "Western World", with only a few remaining hot spots in 3rd world nations.

India has now had no new wild-type polio cases for about 1.5 years, and may have in fact eradicated the disease, thanks to Mr. Salk's vaccine.  I believe there are only 3 endemic countries, Afghanistan, Nigeria and Pakistan, and perhaps a few other sporadic cases elsewhere.

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: 19/10/2012 08:15:06 »
Who am I? My career as a leading scientist in my field was marred by an unfortunate misinterpretation of some results in the middle of it. The case had some interesting parallels with the later "cold fusion" story. The work in question was indirectly linked with the name of an American satirist, political commentator, and sci-fi author.
My first guess would have been  Urbain Jean Joseph Le Verrier who found Neptune, then had an unsuccessful search for trans-Neptunian planets, as well as an unsuccessful hunt for Vulcan, an intra-Mercurial planet. 

Unfortunately, I fear that I'm off in both time and place.

Offline damocles

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: 19/10/2012 08:32:34 »
Further clue: I worked with materials, and my misadventure involved a very familiar material.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #78 on: 19/10/2012 08:32:34 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums