The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: The universe expansion/collapse  (Read 3573 times)

Offline dont_panic

• View Profile
The universe expansion/collapse
« on: 17/12/2005 20:28:02 »
If the universe is indeed still expanding [i feel proven by red shift] then what happens when it starts to fall back in on its self? How long will it take to collapse back in on its self? will it reach a terminal velocity on its collapse or just keep accelerating?

Offline Soul Surfer

• Neilep Level Member
  • keep banging the rocks together
    • View Profile
    • ian kimber's web workspace
Re: The universe expansion/collapse
« Reply #1 on: 17/12/2005 23:56:52 »
Look at the other sections on the big bang its not like an explosion space itself is expanding. The universe is a near as dammit to flat ie it will expand steadily altough there are hints that the expansion may be getting slightly faster than absolutely flat.

Learn, create, test and tell
evolution rules in all things
God says so!

another_someone

« Reply #2 on: 18/12/2005 00:53:01 »
quote:
Originally posted by dont_panic

If the universe is indeed still expanding [i feel proven by red shift] then what happens when it starts to fall back in on its self? How long will it take to collapse back in on its self? will it reach a terminal velocity on its collapse or just keep accelerating?

Given that, as far as I am aware, the universe is larger than we can see, then can we know very much about the total universe.  Is not the best we can say that the bits of the universe we can see appear to be expanding?

Offline ukmicky

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.space-talk.com/
« Reply #3 on: 18/12/2005 03:29:06 »
Rather than create a new topic i thought i would bung this in here :)

As the big bang was supposed to of happened at all points of space of an already infinite universe at the same time rather than in one location, where's all the visible light that must of been created gone, shouldn't some of it still be travelling towards us .

we can detect the radition from the big bang st by turning on our televisions but why cant we see the visible light that must have been created at the same time

Michael                                      
« Last Edit: 18/12/2005 03:40:49 by ukmicky »

another_someone

« Reply #4 on: 18/12/2005 06:07:35 »
quote:
Originally posted by ukmicky

Rather than create a new topic i thought i would bung this in here :)

As the big bang was supposed to of happened at all points of space of an already infinite universe at the same time rather than in one location, where's all the visible light that must of been created gone, shouldn't some of it still be travelling towards us .

we can detect the radition from the big bang st by turning on our televisions but why cant we see the visible light that must have been created at the same time

Michael                                      

Red shifted into the microwave radio spectrum as the microwave background  radiation (I assume that is what you are asking about, or have I misunderstood your question?).

Offline Soul Surfer

• Neilep Level Member
  • keep banging the rocks together
    • View Profile
    • ian kimber's web workspace
« Reply #5 on: 18/12/2005 18:08:48 »
The universe was not transparent to electromagnetic radiation until the period some hundreds of thousand years after the big bang when the electrons and protons combined to make neutral hydrogen to produce what has eventually become the cosmic microwave background.  before that matter and radiation interected very strongly and erased any information on what things looked like in the optical regions of the spectrum.  There are other spectrum areas that may show residues from earlier times and prople are trying to find them.

Learn, create, test and tell
evolution rules in all things
God says so!

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #5 on: 18/12/2005 18:08:48 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums