The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: what is a hangover?  (Read 3055 times)

Offline geo driver

• if you have a smile, share it
    • View Profile
what is a hangover?
« on: 29/04/2010 17:08:36 »
its probably been done to death, however my guts are rotten and my head really fugs. errrrrr and i diddnt drink that much last night..... suppose i was a cheep date

Offline iko

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
what is a hangover?
« Reply #1 on: 29/04/2010 22:12:25 »
Hi geo driver,

you can have fun searching "hangover" in this forum...
This is from a short thread, a 2007 discussion with Neilep:

Hi friendos!

It's a neuro-hormonal mechanism, if my memory is right...
Inhibition of Vasopressin production to be more precise:

Biology of a Hangover: Vasopressin Inhibition
When alcohol is consumed, it enters the bloodstream and causes the pituitary gland in the brain to block the creation of vasopressin (also known as the antidiuretic hormone). Without this chemical, the kidneys send water directly to the bladder instead of reabsorbing it into the body. This is why drinkers have to make frequent trips to the bathroom after urinating for the first time after drinking.
According to studies, drinking about 250 milliliters of an alcoholic beverage causes the body to expel 800 to 1,000 milliliters of water; that's four times as much liquid lost as gained. This diuretic effect decreases as the alcohol in the bloodstream decreases, but the aftereffects help create a hangover.

Offline Briney

• First timers
    • View Profile
what is a hangover?
« Reply #2 on: 02/05/2010 10:59:35 »
Hangover is a 'collection' of symptoms that occur after a bout of alcohol drinking.. Ethanol has a dehydrating effect by causing increased urine production (diuresis), which causes headaches, dry mouth, and lethargy.. Dehydration also causes fluids in the brain to be less plentiful..

« Last Edit: 02/05/2010 19:20:27 by Geezer »

The Naked Scientists Forum

what is a hangover?
« Reply #2 on: 02/05/2010 10:59:35 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums