The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: How to help feeling light headed?  (Read 7481 times)

Offline latebind

• Hello World
    • View Profile
How to help feeling light headed?
« on: 30/04/2010 16:30:42 »
I recently picked up singing, and since I'm a beginner all the breathing techniques make me light headed, my teacher says this is normal for beginners. How do I help myself feel better cos i feel pretty dizzy right now.

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 30/04/2010 22:32:52 »
I suppose it's a question of breathing. Perhaps the singing is making you breathe too much, or not enough. Either might make you a bit light headed.

Practice will likely sort it out.

Offline LeeE

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Spatial
« Reply #2 on: 01/05/2010 22:48:17 »
If it's due to too much oxygen then you could try breathing into a paper bag for a short period of time.

Offline Karen W.

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 02/05/2010 14:27:35 »
Singing requires singing from the diaphragm .. which means taking a huge breath without raising your shoulders and releasing slowly to sing .If you let it out too fast you can hyperventilate and become light headed which sounds like what you are doing so like lee said the bag... The best thing when I was learning voice was to take breath in through the nose without raising your shoulders which will just fill a portion of lungs but to learn from diaphragm take in as much as you can deep inside let it out slowly from your mouth as you sing.. do not blow it all out in the first few notes... LOL...in through the nose out slowly through the mouth with the voice.. very controlled...By the way very few people really breath properly and doing it this way allows your lungs to properly fill with air and if you do it always your whole health will improve with proper breathing.. Teach yourself to take full breaths to exercise the lungs ..You will within a week or two notice the difference in your lung capacity and you will feel better all he way around.

Good luck...
« Last Edit: 02/05/2010 14:31:16 by Karen W. »

Offline latebind

• Hello World
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 03/05/2010 19:20:50 »
Singing requires singing from the diaphragm .. which means taking a huge breath without raising your shoulders and releasing slowly to sing .If you let it out too fast you can hyperventilate and become light headed which sounds like what you are doing so like lee said the bag... The best thing when I was learning voice was to take breath in through the nose without raising your shoulders which will just fill a portion of lungs but to learn from diaphragm take in as much as you can deep inside let it out slowly from your mouth as you sing.. do not blow it all out in the first few notes... LOL...in through the nose out slowly through the mouth with the voice.. very controlled...By the way very few people really breath properly and doing it this way allows your lungs to properly fill with air and if you do it always your whole health will improve with proper breathing.. Teach yourself to take full breaths to exercise the lungs ..You will within a week or two notice the difference in your lung capacity and you will feel better all he way around.

Good luck...

LOL! thanks Geezer, Karen and LeeE! I have my paper bag ready for my next practice! Bubbles and Lalalala here we come!
« Last Edit: 04/05/2010 12:18:53 by latebind »

Offline latebind

• Hello World
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 04/05/2010 12:19:17 »
BTW IT DOES WORK!!

Thanks, just what I needed, now I'm ready for anything!

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #5 on: 04/05/2010 12:19:17 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length